aberdeen-music

BEST PUNK ACT - Fudge Awards 2010

The Ghost Of Fudge

If that happens, i will physically rip everyone thats read this thread's laptop/desktop screens in half from the inside, out. o_O

But really,

E2V should win this as they are really really decent live,

where as hearing/seeing heller state, was like watching a green day cover band, but without any of the green day songs you know,

which is good if your really into green day / SoCal / '99 Punk Pop, Which im not.

and as these are the only two ive seen, i can only make comments about these two bands,

*To Clarify*

E2V>HS imo, as its not my thing,

and watching escape to victory was like watching a replication of Rise Against with a singer who looks 5 years old!

they sing about politics and all that jazz and they probably dont even vote. so dont even start. i respect them as musicians - but i think theyre taking this far too seriously. this whole jealousy thing is hillairious.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion - so dont even bother trying to sway people.

there are so many genres of punk - and just because i play in a band that doesnt write songs about politics or climate change etc doesnt make me any less punk than you. oh and also when it comes to shows - i think youll find weve played a shit load more than E2V - and im pretty sure that stands for something. weve pushed ourselves really hard this year and worked for everything weve got. we just tried to do something different for aberdeens music scene. just because hardcore is the "in" thing to do right now does not mean there isnt room for other bands in Aberdeen. and to be honest i think the hijacks should win it anyway. those guys are amazing - and theyre a hell of a lot tighter than anyone else in this poll. im done arguing with someone who whines like a little girl about not winning. (referring to E2V) I honestly couldnt give a flying fuck. so go ahead, get your mates to sign up and cast votes for you. you obviously want this more than anyone else in this poll so go ahead. youve clearly worked harder than any of the other bands that write songs and play gigs and sell merch and record albums etc in Aberdeen.

actually fuck it - that was sarcasm - i hope we kick your ass. :D

just because i play in a band that doesnt write songs about politics or climate change etc doesnt make me any less punk than you

Well... technically it probably does. Fraser seems to embody a lot more of the characteristics which are traditionally associated with the word "punk" than you do. His disaffected anger with the world at large is far more punk than any personality trait you exhibit.

Moving on, a quick check (see top of page) confirms that the competition fudge hold is "best punk act", and not "most punk act", or each year a crusty busker stinking of pish and Tennets super would no doubt scuffle away with one of Aberdeen's most closely coveted prizes in one hand and his scabby wee rollie-smoking dog in the other.

Sadly, neither crusty busker man nor Fraser's band Grader have been short listed for the competition this year which may help to go some way towards explaining the disenchantment of the latter.

In short, it doesn't matter who's the most punk because that's not what the competition is about and even if it were it's certainly not a point worth arguing with the not-even-rans.

i think youll find weve played a shit load more than E2V

That'll be the "most gigs played award" sewn up then.

This could be a good year for you guys. ;)

• Upvote 1

and watching escape to victory was like watching a replication of Rise Against with a singer who looks 5 years old!

they sing about politics and all that jazz and they probably dont even vote. so dont even start. i respect them as musicians - but i think theyre taking this far too seriously. this whole jealousy thing is hillairious.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion - so dont even bother trying to sway people.

there are so many genres of punk - and just because i play in a band that doesnt write songs about politics or climate change etc doesnt make me any less punk than you. oh and also when it comes to shows - i think youll find weve played a shit load more than E2V - and im pretty sure that stands for something. weve pushed ourselves really hard this year and worked for everything weve got. we just tried to do something different for aberdeens music scene. just because hardcore is the "in" thing to do right now does not mean there isnt room for other bands in Aberdeen. and to be honest i think the hijacks should win it anyway. those guys are amazing - and theyre a hell of a lot tighter than anyone else in this poll. im done arguing with someone who whines like a little girl about not winning. (referring to E2V) I honestly couldnt give a flying fuck. so go ahead, get your mates to sign up and cast votes for you. you obviously want this more than anyone else in this poll so go ahead. youve clearly worked harder than any of the other bands that write songs and play gigs and sell merch and record albums etc in Aberdeen.

actually fuck it - that was sarcasm - i hope we kick your ass. :D

I wasn't going to get involved in this, it's all a bit silly really and I quite liked Heller State - we at GFN? have put them on a few times now. I dont think there was a single point that Shaki made that was serious really, I can't see how anyone thought he was being bitter, and it's all a bit pointless when you consider most of the votes end up taking place at The Moorings and Brothel Corpse Trio will end up winning (sorry to be a cynic on the whole awards but that's how it is).

However, I don't think any of your points are valid really. We don't sound like Rise Against (imo anyway), we don't play a kind of hardcore that is popular (its not like we have keyboards), most of the posts in this thread have came from people that aren't even in e2v and I really don't see how playing Aberdeen more than us counts for anything...I mean Copy HaHo don't play Aberdeen much, does than mean they deserve less credit in the indie category than say Lady Mercedes? (no offence to Lady Mercedes, I just picked a band that play often). We could play Aberdeen every week if we wanted but don't really see the point

but then, the misfits weren't political at all, but they are a staple of any well balanced punk diet... so it is possible to be punk without being political..?

i've always found it amusing how elitist the punk community can be... all this "you can't play with us, your band's first album sold 10 copies, but your second one sold 20...sellout" business.

never ceases to amaze me, the anti-establishment elite forming their own little society in which all the members compete for recognition of how much they each deserve to be there, while holding up the pretense that they don't give a fuck.

but then, the misfits weren't political at all, but they are a staple of any well balanced punk diet... so it is possible to be punk without being political..?

i've always found it amusing how elitist the punk community can be... all this "you can't play with us, your band's first album sold 10 copies, but your second one sold 20...sellout" business.

never ceases to amaze me, the anti-establishment elite forming their own little society in which all the members compete for recognition of how much they each deserve to be there, while holding up the pretense that they don't give a fuck.

I like the 2nd half of this post. The first half did nothing for me though.

I give you a B minus.

and watching Hellar State was like watching a replication of Green Day with a singer who looks 5 years old!

I Wouldn't go posting about a band being a replica of another when your in hellar state,

so much fail