aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

It took me a while to get that...then I Lolled.

Thoughts so far....

Group A is open. France are a shambles, Uruguay are average, SA are decent with a massive edge with the home advantage, Mexico are decent. SA to go through with Mexico. France will finish with a point. Domenech is a tube and the fact that he has remained in charge for 6 years is one of football's great mysteries.

Group B is tight with 1 great and 2 decent teams. Greece were utter gash - like France but without the good individual players. Argies were great for the most part but it will be interesting to see them up against a better team. Nigeria were pretty good in spells but a bit shaky from set pieces. South Korea played well against pish. Argies and SK to go through.

Away to get my Stetson on.

no internet shenanigans for this england game as going to watch it over at my mums cos she has a much superior tv than me!

i honestly think tonights game will be a 1-1 draw and the backlash will begin!

it never ceases to amaze me how much five live and talksport can talk about england! fair play to five live they talked about the yanks for almost five minutes just now!

I've gotten South Korea and England in my work sweep stake, so I've now taken a keen interest in how the South Koreans get on. I thought that they played pretty well today, but it was against a dire Greek side.

The Argentinian team is certainly going to be entertaining to watch if they keep up with this "do or die" attitude.

Oh dear, it wasn't even a squiggler. I was quite surprised Green got the nod before the game.

I've no problem with England doing well but they always seem to play as individuals and never pull together as a team. Rooney seemed to be playing too deep (which I'm assuming was a tactical thing from Capello) and you could predict Heskey was going to miss the one on one. England will improve throughout the tournament but could struggle against one of the better sides on tonights performance.

How shit is itv?!?! I watched the argentina match on iplayer and it was pretty much the same quality as watching the telly. No dropouts, no glitches. Figured I'd do the same for the england match on itv's version. Fuck me! 5 minutes of buffering and loading (with a 50 meg connection too) followed by 5 minutes of adverts until a joke of a stream appeared where I literally couldn't make out who was who. Missed the first goal due to the stream going down and got so fed up I raked out my 12 inch telly from the cupboard to watch the rest. Sort it out!

Good grief. Watching 'You're On Sky Sports' this morning, and it's as if we're already out and on the plane home. I think most people were expecting a draw, and it happened, yet we're in complete meltdown. We should have won. A complete freak spill from Green meant we didn't, but apart from that, USA only had one shot on target in our own penalty area, from a tight angle. Defensively we were good, but there's still no balance between Lampard and Gerrard. I think that will be restored when Barry comes back, which should be Friday.

We couldn't really change the game due to having to make 2 substitutions for injuries in 45 minutes. I still think we'll win the group

Shaun Wright Phillips is shit. Should have been Adam Johnson. That's my only downside to last night.

How shit is itv?!?! I watched the argentina match on iplayer and it was pretty much the same quality as watching the telly. No dropouts, no glitches. Figured I'd do the same for the england match on itv's version. Fuck me! 5 minutes of buffering and loading (with a 50 meg connection too) followed by 5 minutes of adverts until a joke of a stream appeared where I literally couldn't make out who was who. Missed the first goal due to the stream going down and got so fed up I raked out my 12 inch telly from the cupboard to watch the rest. Sort it out!

Try missing the England goal because ITV HD decided to go to an ad break just before England scored.

Try missing the England goal because ITV HD decided to go to an ad break just before England scored.

It's just not good enough. They've done that before (everton fa cup). The BBC manage just fine with a reliable service on tv and online so why can't this tinpot station get it right. If it wasn't for art attack and harry hill i'd say itv haven't done anything good ever.

another world cup, same old england. its the arrogance of expecting to win every game that is the problem. A complete over reaction as usual. I thought England played OK and should have sneaked the game. Imagine what it'd have been like had England lost? It's always like this, I remember when Portugal beat England first game of the 86 campaign... bloody hell it's the first game and a draw is a decent enough result against the biggest threat in the group.

However there are many flaws within the squad and selection. Green has thrown away his England career in a moment of madness. I really feel for him but you simply cannot afford to make mistakes like that on the global stage. Joe Hart has to come in, problem is Capello not having a settled number one has not made things easy.

Lampard was dreadful and he was on the telly going on about how great he was going to be in a pre game interview. It was a mistake starting Milner but good call to sub him as he was heading for a red card. Shaun Wright-Phillips was disappointing once more. Heskey had a good game but proved his general uselessness when gifted a glorious chance which he booted straight at the keeper. I'm sorry Heskey is a spent force, never rated him and cant be doing with this crap about how he links up well with rooney, is a handful etc. this is a player who may well find himself playing in the championship next season and he's worthy of playing on the global stage?

there's panic on the streets of london as there always is when england dont win 34-0 but its early days

• Upvote 1

It's just not good enough. They've done that before (everton fa cup). The BBC manage just fine with a reliable service on tv and online so why can't this tinpot station get it right. If it wasn't for art attack and harry hill i'd say itv haven't done anything good ever.

It is ridiculous. Couple that with the fact that the picture quality is abysmal (even when they can bother their arses to actually show it in HD- Most of last night was poorly upscaled rather than actual HD) and STVHD not launching on Sky on June 11th like promised makes me hate the useless knob-jockeys even more!

I quite like a spot corrie every now and then but ITV are a shambles especially when it comes to live football. They've turned fantastic BBC men like Des Lynam and Bob Wilson to useless shrivelling wrecks. I think Adrian Chiles has had a decent enough start but watch him disintegrate to a useless wreck over the next couple of years.

They have previous on the matter as well...

ITV cuts to advert as Everton score winner in cup tie two minutes before end - Telegraph

surely its time to make it illegal for ITV to do anything but show old episodes of corrie and harry hill. and to never let near live football games let alone a world cup!

ITV - The Brighter Side??? The Shiter Side

It's almost offcom complaint inducing if I could be arsed.

It's amazing how ad breaks can turn a good presenter into a shifty have-we-got-enough-time-for-my-next-quip, autocue staring personality vaccum. This will happen to chiles too.

As for upscaling instead of full HD, well that's just insulting.

It's almost offcom complaint inducing if I could be arsed.

It's amazing how ad breaks can turn a good presenter into a shifty have-we-got-enough-time-for-my-next-quip, autocue staring personality vaccum. This will happen to chiles too.

As for upscaling instead of full HD, well that's just insulting.

It's not even like it was upscaled at source (which works quite well in most cases) it was pumped out broadcast at 576i meaning that the SkyHD/Freesat box has to do all the work.

It's not a good advert for HD as there would be plenty of folks out there who would've been thinking they were still watching HD.

is it me or is HD just a lot of fuss to get people to upgrade and buy new telly's and equipment? I saw HD at Jester's over new year and wasnt over impressed apart from nature programmes which looked quite spiffing.

I on my perfectly good normal television picture saw the england goal....

is it me or is HD just a lot of fuss to get people to upgrade and buy new telly's and equipment? I saw HD at Jester's over new year and wasnt over impressed apart from nature programmes which looked quite spiffing.

I on my perfectly good normal television picture saw the england goal....

Off topic:

No, like a lot of things quality varies considerably (ITV SD is siginificantly worse than BBC SD picture-wise) as do bitrates and resolutions. HD is still in its infancy with regards to domestic broadcasting in this country and it may take a few years before it improves across the board.

Brilliant examples of HD:

Rush HD, NatGeo HD, Discovery HD, Sky1 HD. Sky Sports HD (1,2,3+4), Luxe HD

Poor examples of HD:

FoxHD, SyFyHD, ITV HD

It's also worth bearing in mind that most HD channels don't exclusively show HD material. A lot of content is upscaled (using high spec-scalers at broadcast source) as HD broadcasting is still expensive and a lot of items aren't actually shot in HD so they can't just make it HD. However, costs are coming down and average programming like Coronation Street, Eastenders, MOTD etc are all being given HD upgrades in the next year.

It's like watching a poorly coloured Colour image when Colour TV broadcasts started, over time technology has improved the quality of those images significantly. I actually happen to think that they aren't doing a bad job with HD so far in terms of quality. The real problem is their inability to approach "Average Joe/Jane" with information about the service that they actually understand.