aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

If you shot a bullet from a gun at head height on a trajectory exactly parallel to the ground, how far would it travel before hitting the ground? Obviously it would depend on the gun so let's say the most powerful sniper rifle. All guns have a 'range' but that's just the distance from which you could effectively hit your target, i'm talking about the distance the bullet would travel before running out of steam and falling to the ground.

Also, would it plough into the ground or kind of just bump along like a skimming stone before coming to a stop? (assuming all variables are absolutely perfect, i.e. no wind, perfeclty flat surface, etc)

If you shot a bullet from a gun at head height on a trajectory exactly parallel to the ground, how far would it travel before hitting the ground? Obviously it would depend on the gun so let's say the most powerful sniper rifle. All guns have a 'range' but that's just the distance from which you could effectively hit your target, i'm talking about the distance the bullet would travel before running out of steam and falling to the ground.

Also, would it plough into the ground or kind of just bump along like a skimming stone before coming to a stop? (assuming all variables are absolutely perfect, i.e. no wind, perfeclty flat surface, etc)

I actually want to give you rep for that post, but I can't.

Fucking excellent post, that's all I'll say.

The Barrett M107 is the most powerful sniper rifle in the world. With a range of approx 1 1/2 miles.

This would require the aim to be slightly above the target.

But that would still be effective range, so the bullet can travel for 1 1/2 miles and still have enough force to penetrate. The aiming slightly above will have to do with curvature of the earth. If it's still effective at 1.5 miles, then surely the bullet could actually travel for abotu 4 miles before coming to an unimpeded stop.

The Barrett M107 is the most powerful sniper rifle in the world. With a range of approx 1 1/2 miles.

This would require the aim to be slightly above the target.

Ok, it would be able to kill someone from1 1/2 miles away. For it to be able to pierce flesh it would still need to be travelling at a fair old speed on impact. how fast exactly I have no idea, maybe around 15-20mph minimum?... dunno. That would still suggest it would travel a long distance further than 1 1/2 miles if completely unimpeded.

your second point... this suggests it's not as far as I'd have thought seeing as gravity already has an effect at that distance.

ta.

if you were to shoot a bullet into the sky, how far would it travel? and where would it come back down?

Again, if all variables were perfect... If you shot a bullet at an angle directly perpendicular to the ground would it go up, reach it's maximum height then fall straight back down into the barrel? Logic says no but my mind says 'fuck yeh, that's awesome'

Again, if all variables were perfect... If you shot a bullet at an angle directly perpendicular to the ground would it go up, reach it's maximum height then fall straight back down into the barrel? Logic says no but my mind says 'fuck yeh, that's awesome'

Of course not, the earth would rotate, taking the gun with it.

:up:

If you shot a bullet in the air, if all the variables are perfect, then you'd shoot yourself in the foot. The speed at which the bullet would fall to the ground would see to that, wouldn't it?

EDIT: forgot about the world turning. This is what happens when you read a post, post your own then realise you missed the next page of posts.

Regarding shooting a straight line - providing there is no resistance etc, wouldnt the bullet just keep moving?

The rifle has given the bullet momentum - which projects the bullet - there is nothing to stop the momentum so it would just keep going right?

whats the physics term? The momentum won't stop until an equal and opposing force stops it? Something like that.

If you shot a bullet in the air, if all the variables are perfect, then you'd shoot yourself in the foot. The speed at which the bullet would fall to the ground would see to that, wouldn't it?

EDIT: forgot about the world turning. This is what happens when you read a post, post your own then realise you missed the next page of posts.

That enters the realm of terminal velocity of the bullet falling. The force of the explosion would launch the bullet up, gravity would act on it slowing it to a "stop", then it would fall under gravity's influence. Then you have acceleration producing drag. Once drag is equal to the force of gravity, acceleration equals zero.

Larger objects have a slower terminal velocity than small stuff like bullets, so I'm pretty sure *if* you could fire it up to drop back on the same point, it would make a hooring mess of you. Not sure of the speeds involved but it would be enough to put a dampener on your day.

Regarding shooting a straight line - providing there is no resistance etc, wouldnt the bullet just keep moving?

The rifle has given the bullet momentum - which projects the bullet - there is nothing to stop the momentum so it would just keep going right?

whats the physics term? The momentum won't stop until an equal and opposing force stops it? Something like that.

As soon as the bullet leaves te barrel there are forces acting against it. Gravity for one, air resistance is another. It's just that these forces are relatively weak compared to the gun and so take a while to bring the bullet to a stop. That's totally simple physics but quite easy to forget/not take into account when discussing these kinds of hypotheticals.