aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Fratton Park is why, it doesn't generate anything close to the match day revenue they'd need to match their ridiculous expenditure. It's got a capacity of just over 20,000 and doesn't have any of those fancy corporate box section that make loads of money of the course of a season. They don't have much of an international following to back them up either so that's another income stream that's missing when you compare them to other clubs with their spending over the last 5 years.

My favourite illustration of their madness is that John Utaka gets paid more than Cesc Fabregas.

Agree with the above. A lot of their financial woes can be put directly on Redknapp's head, too. Fair enough, he brought in a few players for a decent price and I think he sold some of them for a higher price than he paid, but some of the wages that man dishes out are just absolutely ridiculous. As you said, Utaka being paid more than Cesc is insane, and I'm pretty sure Sol was on something like 70k-80k. Pretty sure that James, Kanu, etc. are still picking up massive salaries.

I fucking hate this myth that Harry Redknapp is some kind of master wheeler-dealer, it's a complete load of bollocks. Fair enough, he's not bad at getting decent prices for players when buying/selling, but that's completely offset by the stupid wages he offers them. At one point during his spell as manager, Portsmouth's wage bill was 60m, 90% of their turnover. Completely ridiculous. Fair enough, the board probably shouldn't have released that amount of funds to Harry in the first place, but he should have shown some responsibility. He's the equivalent of someone who plays FM and only pays attention to their transfer/wage budgets, but never checks the balance/finance screen, and then hops on it on day to find the club 30m in the red.

You mean you don't agree with his decision to put Jonas at left back and Guthrie on the left wing to effectively keep them out of the game for the second half?

At least Sunderland are rubbish at the moment, that's some consolation.

Man, I don't even wanna start on last night. How a grown man who's been in the sport for over 30 years can continually make basic tactical mistakes like this is beyond me. I hope he starts learning soon.

And Sunderland being gash is very nice indeed. I want us to be in the same division as us next season as I miss the Tyne/Wear derbies, so hopefully we get promoted and they finished in 17th or summink. That'd do nicely. Bent is pretty much the only thing keeping them from the dropzone at the moment, though.

I'm not sure what Sol Campbell's deal is, suing them for 1.7million in unpaid image rights. some of the blame for this has to lie with Portsmouth but even then you would hope that a former player who was treated very well when he was at the club would show a bit of compassion or at least take into account the dire state of affairs there in this situation.

I read/heard somewhere last week that ol' 'arry gets a percentage of the money made from player sales as part of his contract so it's in his interests to buy loads of players to sell them on. I can't confirm that this is a real life fact or where I got the information but it must have been from a reliable enough source that it stuck in my head.

Either that or someone on here posted it and/or it's all made up.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK810i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

... but the worst news of the day for me? Chris Hughton wants to re-sign Titus Bramble if we get promoted.

FUCK OFF AND DIE YOU INCOMPETANT ARSECUNT.

That's shocking. How dare he try to split up the supreme dream team centre back pairing of caldwell and bramble.

Agree with the above. A lot of their financial woes can be put directly on Redknapp's head, too. Fair enough, he brought in a few players for a decent price and I think he sold some of them for a higher price than he paid, but some of the wages that man dishes out are just absolutely ridiculous. As you said, Utaka being paid more than Cesc is insane, and I'm pretty sure Sol was on something like 70k-80k. Pretty sure that James, Kanu, etc. are still picking up massive salaries.

I fucking hate this myth that Harry Redknapp is some kind of master wheeler-dealer, it's a complete load of bollocks. Fair enough, he's not bad at getting decent prices for players when buying/selling, but that's completely offset by the stupid wages he offers them. At one point during his spell as manager, Portsmouth's wage bill was 60m, 90% of their turnover. Completely ridiculous. Fair enough, the board probably shouldn't have released that amount of funds to Harry in the first place, but he should have shown some responsibility. He's the equivalent of someone who plays FM and only pays attention to their transfer/wage budgets, but never checks the balance/finance screen, and then hops on it on day to find the club 30m in the red.

Would it be Redknapp dealing in the wages though? My understanding would be he'd tell the board of the players he wants and they would take the negoatiations from there. Fair enough, Redknapp is in control of a playing budget but that would be allocated to him by the suits who run the club so I'd imagine it would be mismanagement on their part. I remember the same thing with Leeds several years ago. O'Leary had signed a lot of players but it was Peter Ridsdale who fucked the whole thing up by overspending (on the back of the Champions League run I'd imagine) as he was handling the contract negotiations and ran the club into the ground. I don't even think O'Leary knew of the trouble they were getting into.

To put it in another context would you rather Mark McGhee dealt with the player contracts or Willie Miller, a man experienced in handling budgets and running businesses. Oh, hang on...

Guest idol_wild
I fucking hate Hibs.

So do I. Sadly, I live in Leithland, so I see the feckers almost every day. And smell them. Hibs fans really do reek.

I fear they'll dish out a right fucking doing to Aberdeen tonight, though. Their attacking players have impressed me throughout the season; I really rate Anthony Stokes as an SPL player: cracking signing. Liam Miller looks more useful every time I see him too. None of the Aberdeen players even come near their level of ability. :down:

So do I. Sadly, I live in Leithland, so I see the feckers almost every day. And smell them. Hibs fans really do reek.

I fear they'll dish out a right fucking doing to Aberdeen tonight, though. Their attacking players have impressed me throughout the season; I really rate Anthony Stokes as an SPL player: cracking signing. Liam Miller looks more useful every time I see him too. None of the Aberdeen players even come near their level of ability. :down:

It's their cup draws that are pissing me off at the minute. That and the fact that people appear to be shocked and impressed by the effect of Hibs spending more money than anyone else.

Would it be Redknapp dealing in the wages though? My understanding would be he'd tell the board of the players he wants and they would take the negoatiations from there. Fair enough, Redknapp is in control of a playing budget but that would be allocated to him by the suits who run the club so I'd imagine it would be mismanagement on their part. I remember the same thing with Leeds several years ago. O'Leary had signed a lot of players but it was Peter Ridsdale who fucked the whole thing up by overspending (on the back of the Champions League run I'd imagine) as he was handling the contract negotiations and ran the club into the ground. I don't even think O'Leary knew of the trouble they were getting into.

To put it in another context would you rather Mark McGhee dealt with the player contracts or Willie Miller, a man experienced in handling budgets and running businesses. Oh, hang on...

Yes, unsurprisingly Harry has nothing to do with wages. He's not an accountant. All transactions and negotiations are given the yay or nay by the board.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

If the SPL scores stay the same it will be a perfect evening for Celtic. Motherwell's second goal should have stood apparently. Cheating Huns.