aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Kipper lips? Poor show. To be fair, I've not seen her in an absolute age, somehow, so this I was unaware of.

I hope the Corrie lass hasn't gone all chub on me. I've not seen her in even longer, and she did look like she had the potential to become either phenomenally hot or an absolute whale.

Anyway, er, football. Ashley Cole eh? Nudie pics? Naughty boy. I'd hate to be on the end of Cheryl's Geordie anger. She's probably a bit stabby.

I was gonna post about that Warnock pre-amble earlier. For ITV it was fucking ace. In fact, the commentary today was good too. Really unbiased and fair, as in everyone who played well got their props. ITV... if you're reading I forgive you for Wild at Heart now.

Crystal palace have some skillful players, first time i;ve seen them this season.

I thought everything about the game was great. It was a very physical game. Players getting barged off the ball and out muscled. No one ever stayed down, screaming and holding their shins or face. Just back on their feet and on with it. John Carew is possibly the strongest man on the planet. He could bench a lorry.

I thought everything about the game was great. It was a very physical game. Players getting barged off the ball and out muscled. No one ever stayed down, screaming and holding their shins or face. Just back on their feet and on with it. John Carew is possibly the strongest man on the planet. He could bench a lorry.

Yeah definitely. Compare and contrast that with the xerez v real match where it looked as if every player was on the verge of tears the whole 90 mins. Real played some lovely stuff but far too much rollin around and complaining. Give me a good old fashioned British football barney any day.

Typical warnock today. Just accept it u twat!

I find Spanish and Italian football quite irritating to watch, purely because of all the stoppages from players going down and staying down. It happens alot in the Premier League too, but it seems to lessen when a PL team plays a lower league side in the cups. I love a good bit of shoulder barging and shielding the ball. The referee allowed alot more physical interchanges than you'd usually see in the Premier League, without losing control of the game. A thoroughly good kickabout!

However, I can understand Warnock's frustrations, when he was on the brink of winning with the odds stacked against him at a club who are in a crisis. Didn't Palace benefit from a similar situation against Wolves in the previous round though?

Palace get a money spinning replay which will attract a lot of interest given the quality of the first match, and keep the administrators happy. To blame it on the officials is a cop out. Both teams deserved to win. Villa's delivery alone merited an equaliser. The linesman was ropey but he was ropey for both teams. Del founesco was yards onside.

I prefer to just watch the highlights of la liga and serie a. Some of the attacking play is immense but it's just non stop crowd whistles and falling down.

Guest Gladstone

Just watched the Aberdeen v Celtic highlights - looks like it was some game.

A few cracking goals - Aberdeen's 1st, and Celtic's 2nd in particular - that's what we bought Scott Brown for, it's only taken him what 3 years to do it?

Some fairly shoddy defending on the last couple of goals by Celtic. Judging by the highlights though, I think a draw (and a 4-4 one at that!) was a fair result. It pretty much ends the title hopes for us - I keep thinking Rangers are going to start dropping points, but another convincing win against Hibs at the weekend, and the bastards are 10 points above us. We really need a defence - moving Caldwell on was a mistake. He was by far our best defender before selling him - player of the season last year as well. He was far from perfect, but he was the best we had, and moving out your entire defence midway through the season seems ludicrous to me.

I can see Mowbray coming good though - and it appears that the board have written this season off, and are willing to let Mowbray build his own team. Rangers will get the Champions League cash this season, but it will only put a wee dent in their debt - they won't be spending again this summer, so hopefully Celtic can have a team gelled together come the end of the season, and wipe the floor with them next year...

The gap between the old firm and the rest of the league definitely seems to be closing. I think it's a combination of the old firm being not so good, and the other teams being better. Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, and Hearts (to an extent) all seem to have much more about them in recent seasons, and are all more than capable of beating Celtic or Rangers, which is a good thing for the league.

Still can't see any of those teams winning the league in the foreseeable future, but with the way Rangers are going financially, they could find themselves in all sorts of trouble in the next few seasons, and Celtic have been pretty gash this season - every time they appear to turn a corner, they ship a ridiculous amount of goals (imagine losing 4 goals to Aberdeen.... Jesus!!).

i was trying to recall if 4-4 was the highest scoring dons game thats happened since i've followed them, but i think we beat motherwell 6-5 at fir park a few years ago?

Yup. IIRC it was Skovdahl's first season. We lost the first 6 games of the season (including losing the opening game 7-0), then beat Motherwell 6-5 away from home to claim our first points. I think Robbie Winters scored a hat-trick. I also think that was the last time a Dons player scored a hat-trick.

Just watched the Aberdeen v Celtic highlights - looks like it was some game.

A few cracking goals - Aberdeen's 1st, and Celtic's 2nd in particular - that's what we bought Scott Brown for, it's only taken him what 3 years to do it?

Some fairly shoddy defending on the last couple of goals by Celtic. Judging by the highlights though, I think a draw (and a 4-4 one at that!) was a fair result. It pretty much ends the title hopes for us - I keep thinking Rangers are going to start dropping points, but another convincing win against Hibs at the weekend, and the bastards are 10 points above us. We really need a defence - moving Caldwell on was a mistake. He was by far our best defender before selling him - player of the season last year as well. He was far from perfect, but he was the best we had, and moving out your entire defence midway through the season seems ludicrous to me.

I can see Mowbray coming good though - and it appears that the board have written this season off, and are willing to let Mowbray build his own team. Rangers will get the Champions League cash this season, but it will only put a wee dent in their debt - they won't be spending again this summer, so hopefully Celtic can have a team gelled together come the end of the season, and wipe the floor with them next year...

The gap between the old firm and the rest of the league definitely seems to be closing. I think it's a combination of the old firm being not so good, and the other teams being better. Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, and Hearts (to an extent) all seem to have much more about them in recent seasons, and are all more than capable of beating Celtic or Rangers, which is a good thing for the league.

Still can't see any of those teams winning the league in the foreseeable future, but with the way Rangers are going financially, they could find themselves in all sorts of trouble in the next few seasons, and Celtic have been pretty gash this season - every time they appear to turn a corner, they ship a ridiculous amount of goals (imagine losing 4 goals to Aberdeen.... Jesus!!).

I guess they really do need to let Mowbray build his own team, since Strachan is putting together his very own Celtic down in the smog. I wish they could play against each other somehow.

Guest Gladstone
I guess they really do need to let Mowbray build his own team, since Strachan is putting together his very own Celtic down in the smog. I wish they could play against each other somehow.

Pre-season friendly will quite possibly happen in the Summer.

Guest Gladstone

Did anyone see Boyd's elbow on the Hibs boy? It really doesn't look like he elbow-smashed him really hard or anything - more a dig in the face with his elbow in the passing, but why doesn't he get a red card?

The referee has seen it and gave him a yellow card for an elbow in the face?

Genuine question. Does he get off without a red card because he didn't do it properly like a real man?

Also - watching some of the highlights - early on HIbs had a few good chances, but some really good last ditch tackles/blocks from the Rangers defence to keep them out - that's exactly what we seem to be lacking at the back - just a bit of proper, throw anything at it, defending. Get me Bobo Balde back, now (he'll show you how to elbow in the face properly, and will hopefully demonstrate on Kris Boyd, that would stop the pie-muncher from scoring).

Did anyone see Boyd's elbow on the Hibs boy? It really doesn't look like he elbow-smashed him really hard or anything - more a dig in the face with his elbow in the passing, but why doesn't he get a red card?

The referee has seen it and gave him a yellow card for an elbow in the face?

Genuine question. Does he get off without a red card because he didn't do it properly like a real man?

Also - watching some of the highlights - early on HIbs had a few good chances, but some really good last ditch tackles/blocks from the Rangers defence to keep them out - that's exactly what we seem to be lacking at the back - just a bit of proper, throw anything at it, defending. Get me Bobo Balde back, now.

Yellow card was for obstruction rather than for the flying elbow.

Celtic Reserves are now unbeaten in 6 matches. Couple of big matches coming up - away to Blackpool tonight followed by a trip to Nottingham to play Forest on Saturday. Probably need to take a minimum of 4 points to keep up with the play-off pack. Still a few points behind having played 2 games more than 6th place.

Elbows go unseen properly all the time which is bogus, and with the amount of people who go down holding their face when nothing even hit their face, I can understand why referees don't give players straight reds for every incident like that. We can all sit and moan about referees all day, but petulant, play acting players really don't make it any easier for them. Justice for referees! Stamp out poncing about!

Guest Gladstone
Elbows go unseen properly all the time which is bogus, and with the amount of people who go down holding their face when nothing even hit their face, I can understand why referees don't give players straight reds for every incident like that. We can all sit and moan about referees all day, but petulant, play acting players really don't make it any easier for them. Justice for referees! Stamp out poncing about!

Aye - I'm with you on that. Rolling about holding your face when nobody's even touched you is ridiculous. I just don't get the whole feigning injury thing at all. Diving/going over easily I can understand a bit better, because in the spur of the moment, you see a leg coming in, and seize the opportunity to try and win a penalty. I don't think it's right, but I can see why it happens. But deliberately clutching your face, in an attempt, not to win a penalty, but to try and get a fellow player sent off should be punishable by bollock-stamping.

I wasn't moaning about the referee not sending Boyd off, I was just wondering why he didn't. Woodsinho explained it pretty well. I only saw a 2 second clip with no sound on the BBC website, and the camera angle showed a clear elbow in the puss, but I guess if the referee had been at a different angle, it might have just looked like a bodycheck. I love how Kris Boyd has the audacity to moan about his yellow card after elbowing someone in the face. What a dick.

Yup. IIRC it was Skovdahl's first season. We lost the first 6 games of the season (including losing the opening game 7-0), then beat Motherwell 6-5 away from home to claim our first points. I think Robbie Winters scored a hat-trick. I also think that was the last time a Dons player scored a hat-trick.

Remember sitting on my bed doing some uni work listening to that game in disbelief.

Think the opening game was 5-0 though, was in the RDS for that one, start of the glorious John barnes era. ;)

Guest Gladstone
Remember sitting on my bed doing some uni work listening to that game in disbelief.

Think the opening game was 5-0 though, was in the RDS for that one, start of the glorious John barnes era. ;)

At the time, I think John Barnes had the best start to a season for a Celtic manager since Jock Stein.

Once he started to get the team playing his way, and his signings started to make a real impact, things quickly turned for the worse...

You'd think that after that Rivaldo incident in the 2002 World Cup folks would realise that it is a completely ridiculous thing to do. Maybe there's a massive wager involved for most successful yet obscene feigning of an injury between the members of the players union.

Perhaps they get paid a massive wad to be on those Footie Bloopers, narrated by Danny Dyer or whoever badly needs money at Christmas.

Diving on a whole is quite poor, but I have a little bit more time for strikers playing for a penalty, like when keepers come lunging out at a players feet. It's an absolutely ridiculous decision for a goalkeeper to make, and I have no idea why they do it. It has one ending, and I don't think a striker is at fault to just go right over him, if he is due to be impeded anyway. Wayne Rooney has been accused of diving a couple of times this season in this sort of situation. For me, he was merely taking advantage of terrible goalkeeping decisions. Unlike Eduardo against Boruc. I think Boruc was very clever to bomb out at him, but not fly in with a limb, and instead just try and sheild to him towards the by line. Eduardo still tumbled over anyway, the poncey shite. He should have been banned for as long as Cantona was for that.