aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone
You know when you get two people on a bicycle, one pedalling standing up and the other sitting in the saddle holding on? My girlfriend calls that a backie. Which is ludicrous, because that's clearly a barrie.

That's a backie!

Why would it be called a barrie? Surely if they were sitting on your handlebars, that would be called a barrie?

Carrick absolutely halfed Ronaldinho for his first booking. Early in the second half I think.

EDIT: In fact, that was probably about the time Ronaldinho stopped playing. Ferguson probably told him to do that.

Ah, of course. I remember it well now. It was a pretty horrible tackle. I fully remember the uneccesary contact and follow through. I think I just made the assumption it was Paul Scholes. Can you believe he didn't get a single card last night? Infact, he was quite tremendous.

Scholes seems like a properly great chap. Apparently he hates interviews, and he once said (ironically in an interview) that if he's ushered over for a post match word, he'll pretend the boss is calling him and run down the tunnel away from the cameras.

That's a backie!

Why would it be called a barrie? Surely if they were sitting on your handlebars, that would be called a barrie?

In my neck o' t'woods, it's called a 'saggy', because it makes your tyres look flat, since them bikes aren't meant for two cunts. Just one. It was shit if you had a bike and someone else didn't. "Aw, give us a saggy" they'd say. A 'saggy' was uncomfortable for all involved and a throughly counter productive waste of time.

In my neck o' t'woods, it's called a 'saggy', because it makes your tyres look flat, since them bikes aren't meant for two cunts. Just one. It was shit if you had a bike and someone else didn't. "Aw, give us a saggy" they'd say. A 'saggy' was uncomfortable for all involved and a throughly counter productive waste of time.

When I was a kid only about half my mates had bikes, so when we were going from one place to the next en masse, eg from the swing park to the football field, everybody would jump on their bikes and those who didn't have one would get a barrie. I had a bike but my mate didn't, and for some reason I couldn't give barries properly. Whenever I tried to pull away while standing up on the bike, I would just topple over with my mate getting one leg trapped under the bike. Luckily I had a BMX with big stunt pegs, so we reached an agreement whereas I could sit on the saddle as normal to pull away, and he would just stand on the stunt-pegs and hold on to the back of my jumper. Ah the 80s. They were a more innocent time.

Incidentally I'm now 30 and I still can't cycle standing up.

Guest Gladstone
When I was a kid only about half my mates had bikes, so when we were going from one place to the next en masse, eg from the swing park to the football field, everybody would jump on their bikes and those who didn't have one would get a barrie. I had a bike but my mate didn't, and for some reason I couldn't give barries properly. Whenever I tried to pull away while standing up on the bike, I would just topple over with my mate getting one leg trapped under the bike. Luckily I had a BMX with big stunt pegs, so we reached an agreement whereas I could sit on the saddle as normal to pull away, and he would just stand on the stunt-pegs and hold on to the back of my jumper. Ah the 80s. They were a more innocent time.

Incidentally I'm now 30 and I still can't cycle standing up.

I can cycle fine standing up, but was always pish at giving backies for some reason. I couldn't balance properly with someone else sitting on my bike.

I was also quite pish at pulling those big wheelies where you cycle the length of a playground whilst pulling the wheelie, and I never mastered cycling with no hands, which some of my mates could just do no problem at all. The bastards.

I can cycle fine standing up, but was always pish at giving backies for some reason. I couldn't balance properly with someone else sitting on my bike.

I was also quite pish at pulling those big wheelies where you cycle the length of a playground whilst pulling the wheelie, and I never mastered cycling with no hands, which some of my mates could just do no problem at all. The bastards.

Cycling with no hands with a piece of piss. Never mastered the big wheelie though. I used to like to bunny hop off pavements, until one day I did one and the handlebars came off in my hand.

Guest Gladstone
Cycling with no hands with a piece of piss. Never mastered the big wheelie though. I used to like to bunny hop off pavements, until one day I did one and the handlebars came off in my hand.

Shut up, you can't even stand-up-cycle.

Guest Gladstone

Back on topic. I've just been having a wee think about the dirty huns. I actually think they're financial woes have turned them into a better team. They'd be fucked without Walter Smith at the helm, but they haven't bought a player for what a year and a half? They seem to have totally galvanised in the past month or so, and have started turning in decent performances, and getting good victories.

They've been forced to play with the same 14 or so (I just made that up) players week in, week out, and the consistency seems to be paying off for them. Even Kenny Miller is banging the goals in.

A lesson should be learned from this (I know it won't). Celtic (for example) have just shipped out half their team in a desperate attempt to salvage the 10 point gap, and it's backfired.

Maybe teams should be sticking with as much of the same squad as they can, and trying to tweak here and there, rather than going "this team is pish, let's just sign a whole new one", or sack the manager everytime something goes wrong.

I dread to think how good Rangers could have been if Le Guen had been left to get on with it.

Saying all that, they could be absolutely bollocksed by the start of next season if they have to offload a load of players at the end of their contracts, and Smith doesn't stay on.

At work today, the football topic was most improved player of recent seasons. The most common name being talked about was Darren Fletcher. I don't agree so much, because I think he's been great for quite some time, but seemed to get written off too easily. For me, it's Florent Malouda. He used to be shocking, like, Nani bad. But Hiddink seemed to really get him playing, and he's carried it on this season. Scoring lots, and racking up assists for fun. He's no longer a shambolic waste of space.

James Milner was another I suggested, but he's always shown potential and gradually gotten better. Malouda used to be absolutely shitbad, but now he's rather good, making the curve of improvement steeper.

Who's yours?

Guest Gladstone
At work today, the football topic was most improved player of recent seasons. The most common name being talked about was Darren Fletcher. I don't agree so much, because I think he's been great for quite some time, but seemed to get written off too easily. For me, it's Florent Malouda. He used to be shocking, like, Nani bad. But Hiddink seemed to really get him playing, and he's carried it on this season. Scoring lots, and racking up assists for fun. He's no longer a shambolic waste of space.

James Milner was another I suggested, but he's always shown potential and gradually gotten better. Malouda used to be absolutely shitbad, but now he's rather good, making the curve of improvement steeper.

Who's yours?

I've always thought highly of Fletcher too. I think he's just matured in the last couple of seasons into a really good player, and a mainstay in the Man Utd midfield whereas previously he wasn't always in the team. But it's MANCHESTER UNITED for fucks sake, it's not like strolling into East Fife's midfield.

Most improved of recent years - I'm not really sure. Kenny Miller?

I like Song. He's been solid this season for the most part. A joy to watch, and as close as Arsenal have to replacing the massive Vieira shaped hole that has been needing filled for years.

Louis Saha seems to be back on the form he was in at Man Utd. Staying reasonably fit and scoring goals against good sides. A properly fantastic striker. He was never a poor player though. He just went through fits and spurts of form in between returning from injuries I suppose.

Also, Gareth Bale could also be ranked alongside Malouda, in that he once looked shockingly abysmal, and now he looks like a footballer who actually deserves to be on a reasonably lower to mid-range footballers wage. Y'know, 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order Carling Cup starter. The type of player that you groan at when you see him on the teamsheet, but he'll do okay. Like John O'Shea.

Some good shouts for most improved player. I'd maybe throw Joe Hart in there as he's having a superb run of form this season. It's unfortunate for him he has Shay Given to compete with at Man City but he has done really well since going out on loan to Birmingham.

Maybe an odd suggestion but what about Wayne Rooney? He has been a cracking player for Man U since he joined but since losing Ronaldo they may have struggled to find goals but the responsibility he has taken on has ensured they've remained competitive for the Premiership. I reckon Fergie made a good signing in Valencia but they needed someone to step up to the plate and Rooney really has done that.