aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone
I thought the first half was great. It wasn't as good when United were coasting. I don't think anyone expected Milan to bomb at them in the first 20 minutes like they did. Sloppy defensive errors led to some pretty exciting chances for Milan, which should have put United effectively out of the competition. Milan's tackling was superb in their own third, but once Rooney finally got the ball to feet, and Valencia came on, Milan struggled to cope.

Ronaldinho looked great for the first half. He disappeared in the second half. Huntelaar is one of the most ineffective centre forwards I've ever seen. They should have played Inzaghi from the start, as at least he knows how to attack space against good defenders.

Actually, you're right, the game started off quite well, but it was bogged down in midfield for the latter part of the first half. Ronaldinho was showing some great flicks etc early on, and that turn in the first half about 35 yards out - 2 guys on his back and all he seemed to do was turn around, and he coasted past them - he makes it look so so easy.

Man Utd were total gash early on - I thought I was watching Celtic for about 10 minutes...

What's happened to Nani? I seem to remember that he looked quite promising last season, but he just can't seem to do anything right. Valencia didn't fuck about. One touch, swing it in, right on Rooney's head, and what a great finish from Rooney. Like I said, at 3-1, I thought Man Utd were going to destroy them, but then they took on Seedorf (who, by the way looks like he's about 20 stone, but 20 stone of genius...).

Return leg should be good. Milan have to really go for it, which should leave gaps for Nani to fall over in.

Like I said to the old guy at the pub in a masterstroke of bar stool management, nani should have been taken off at half time. He's the type of player who, if he starts badly can't recover. If a few of his early crosses hit the danger zone (copyright lee dixon) it would have been a different game. He's the absolute embodiment of a confidence player. Rooney will get all the praise and rightly so but Valencia for me changed the game. He hugged the touch line, freed up space in the midfield for scholes and fletcher and let Rooney stay in the middle. Add to that a few killer crosses.

Nani had been on a good run of form until the Villa game. He was great against Arsenal, and the games surrounding that fixture. He's just inconsistent, and fannies about before crossing, which lets everyone get back in the box, so effectively 6 or 7 players are marking Rooney. He's got the ability to be a great winger, but he just can't apply it all the time. Did you hear Rooney take a bit of a swipe at Nani in the post match interview? Quite scathing. I bet Rooney kicked him in when they got home.

Valencia is quality. Quick wingers are usually little whippets who could get tackled by a strong gust of wind. Valencia is a tank. He actually plays central midfield for Ecuador. He's got a bastard of a shot on him too. The game against Chile in the WC qualifiers, he ran onto a through ball and wellied it, and it smashed against the post, and the ball went miles. I'm surpised the ball didn't burst.

Guest Gladstone
Nani had been on a good run of form until the Villa game. He was great against Arsenal, and the games surrounding that fixture. He's just inconsistent, and fannies about before crossing, which lets everyone get back in the box, so effectively 6 or 7 players are marking Rooney. He's got the ability to be a great winger, but he just can't apply it all the time. Did you hear Rooney take a bit of a swipe at Nani in the post match interview? Quite scathing. I bet Rooney kicked him in when they got home.

Valencia is quality. Quick wingers are usually little whippets who could get tackled by a strong gust of wind. Valencia is a tank. He actually plays central midfield for Ecuador. He's got a bastard of a shot on him too. The game against Chile in the WC qualifiers, he ran onto a through ball and wellied it, and it smashed against the post, and the ball went miles. I'm surpised the ball didn't burst.

Not a massively or even intentionally funny post, but I chuckled out loud about 4 times reading that.

Nani and Rooney fighting would be ridiculous. It would be the equivalent of the big hard bastard bully in the school playground picking a fight with the school geek. I can just see Nani cowering in the corner as Rooney goes "Go on, fucking hit me, fucking hit me" then pummels him into oblivion, and all because Nani smiled as he walked into the changing room or some other equally minor infringement.

Guest Gladstone
Also, Lenoardo is a great manager. Well, kind of. I don't really know much of his managerial assets, but he seems like an all-round great guy, full of class and vigour. He's probably one of my favourite ex BBC pundits too.

Showing my lack of knowledge here - is the manager the ex-Brazilian international, Leonardo? The one that just about took someone's head off with his elbow in the World Cup ('94?)?

Most brutal elbow smash the game has ever seen.

Showing my lack of knowledge here - is the manager the ex-Brazilian international, Leonardo? The one that just about took someone's head off with his elbow in the World Cup ('94?)?

Definitely the ex-Barzil international. Can't comment on any violent conduct though, as I wasn't aware of it. If it's true, then I guess I'll change my mind a little. He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

Also, Lenoardo is a great manager. Well, kind of. I don't really know much of his managerial assets, but he seems like an all-round great guy, full of class and vigour. He's probably one of my favourite ex BBC pundits too.

He's managed to get ronaldinho back into some kind of form which is an acheivement. Probably a lot to do with the brazilian connection. I remember leonardo on the panel at the Germany world cup, he oozed class and linekar et al took any opportunity to remind us of how great he is. So much so that I'm sure I saw martin oneils hard on. One particularly embarrasing bit of filler involved a keepy uppy comp an Leo wiped the floor with the rest of them. Linekar was all 'he speaks ten languages, looks like a movie star and is not bad with a football either'. Compare that with the treatmen they gave marcel 'dey keeked the boll into da goal, thees is good' dessailly where the cringing and desire to quickly move on was palpable.

I can't vouch for the elbow smash, I have no real memory of the '94 world cup - probably because England weren't there and I was only 10 - but yes, it's that guy, with the hair. The Milan fans haven't taken to him yet, mostly because Inter are jogging away with the Serie A title again, that's never going to help things.

There was a pretty brutal one in the last world cup. Italy vs USA and Brian McBride got his forehead split open by Daniel Di Rossi.

YouTube - De Rossi sending off vs USA

He's managed to get ronaldinho back into some kind of form which is an acheivement. Probably a lot to do with the brazilian connection. I remember leonardo on the panel at the Germany world cup, he oozed class and linekar et al took any opportunity to remind us of how great he is. So much so that I'm sure I saw martin oneils hard on. One particularly embarrasing bit of filler involved a keepy uppy comp an Leo wiped the floor with the rest of them. Linekar was all 'he speaks ten languages, looks like a movie star and is not bad with a football either'. Compare that with the treatmen they gave marcel 'dey keeked the boll into da goal, thees is good' dessailly where the cringing and desire to quickly move on was palpable.

Dessailly tells it like it is.

I'd like to think how Ronaldinho had turned out if he'd have been instilled with some discipline. He lived the playboy lifestyle at Barca and barely even turned up for training. If he'd have signed for Manyoo when he was going to, Fergie wouldn't have stood for that. Sod getting a boot kicked at his head, he'd have wellied him round the entire branch of Footlocker until his chewing gum had run dry. No more partying! He'd be too scared to even go out for an early evening meal with his Mum.

Leonardo had a pretty awful start at Milan but he's done a very good job to turn it around. They're not going to win the title and they're probably not going to overtake Roma (who are in second after something like 14 games undefeated in all comps), but they're certainly a lot healthier than they were at the start of the term.

The club are paying now for not investing in younger players to phase out their ageing veterans, though. The team is not what it used to be with Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Nesta, Zambrotta, and countless others all well into their 30's and/or approaching the end of their careers. The philosophy there seems to be to prolong the careers of older players instead of blooding younger players into the squad, and aside from Abate, Flamini, and Pato none of their younger players seem up to it.

Great game last night, but it highlight just how awful Milan's defence is. And Dida? Don't get me started. The squad really does need a massive revamp and they could've prepared for this years ago, but I think they're going to have to be content with not winning the league for a couple of seasons without heavy investment. There is very little dynamism in the team now that Kaka is gone and Nesta is about the only defender worthy of a place in the Milan XI.

I feel really sorry for Leonardo, actually. Classy guy who's doing the best he can with very little support from whoever signs players at the club.

Guest Gladstone
There was a pretty brutal one in the last world cup. Italy vs USA and Brian McBride got his forehead split open by Daniel Di Rossi.

Leonardo's was far far worse than that. I've seen worse than that at Strikers on a Monday night...

Let me find the Leonardo one.

EDIT:

Oocha fucker.

Tab Ramos of the USA I think it was, definitely a US player at least. Brutal elbow from Leonardo and broke his jaw.

Other than that, bloody nice bloke.

Guest Gladstone

What was the deal with Carrick's red card last night? On the replay, it just looked like someone else (can't remember who) committed the foul, and kicked the ball away, but Carrick got booked. Did he poke the ref's hoop or something?

What was the deal with Carrick's red card last night? On the replay, it just looked like someone else (can't remember who) committed the foul, and kicked the ball away, but Carrick got booked. Did he poke the ref's hoop or something?

After Evra fouled the guy the ball rolled to Carrick and he flicked it further away after the whistle had gone. Stupid thing to do when on a yellow card.

Carrick red card vs AC Milan

Guest Gladstone
After Evra fouled the guy the ball rolled to Carrick and he flicked it further away after the whistle had gone. Stupid thing to do when on a yellow card.

Carrick red card vs AC Milan

A bit daft, but really, the ref should show a bit of common sense there. The amount of things that go unpunished in pro football (like calling the ref a cunt 8 times in a row), that you just don't get away with at amateur level is unbelievable.

I'm surprised he showed him the yellow there, and so quickly with the red. I think he just fancied sending someone off.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment too much but can only assume it was similar to the Dunfermline game in that we opened brightly enough and then hid as the game went on. Personally I've always felt the home crowd turns on the team far too quickly and when that happens the players seem nervous. A shocking state of affairs from the players if that is the case as they should be professional enough to respond and pick up their performance but I think supporting the team rather than hurling abuse would help to solve that. Not always easy when playing opposition from the lower leagues but that is my two cents on the matter.

I agree with you but I thought last night that the fans weren't too bad in that respect. When we were pushing all the home support seemed to be encouraging the useless cunts forward. I don't think that the abuse or frustration from the fans during the game was over the top for a change (until the end when folk started hocking loogies on the manager. That was probably a bit OTT)

I can't decide whether to keep going or to start some sort of ritualistic bi-monthly self-flagellation in which I'll use a 20 note to soak up the blood before shoving a 2 coin up my arse.

Yeah, I thought it was Evra getting sent off at first, mainly because I actually remember Evra getting a yellow card. I can't for the life of me remember seeing Carrick get yellow carded earlier in the game.

At least it wasn't Evra. He's much more of a miss than Carrick I think. Perhaps Anderson will be let out of the naughty boys corner to play in Carrick's absence? Not likely. It'll probably be Gibson, taking shots from three hundred yards out.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah, I thought it was Evra getting sent off at first, mainly because I actually remember Evra getting a yellow card. I can't for the life of me remember seeing Carrick get yellow carded earlier in the game.

At least it wasn't Evra. He's much more of a miss than Carrick I think. Perhaps Anderson will be let out of the naughty boys corner to play in Carrick's absence? Not likely. It'll probably be Gibson, taking shots from three hundred yards out.

Carrick absolutely halfed Ronaldinho for his first booking. Early in the second half I think.

EDIT: In fact, that was probably about the time Ronaldinho stopped playing. Ferguson probably told him to do that.

I agree with you but I thought last night that the fans weren't too bad in that respect. When we were pushing all the home support seemed to be encouraging the useless cunts forward. I don't think that the abuse or frustration from the fans during the game was over the top for a change (until the end when folk started hocking loogies on the manager. That was probably a bit OTT)

I can't decide whether to keep going or to start some sort of ritualistic bi-monthly self-flagellation in which I'll use a 20 note to soak up the blood before shoving a 2 coin up my arse.

If you want, you can come round to my back yard every second Saturday, pay a tenner at the gate, I'll kick a ball around and you can watch me be shit at football. Same effect for half the price. Plus I live above a newsagent that sells hot pies and tea / coffee.

Guest Gladstone
If you want, you can come round to my back yard every second Saturday, pay a tenner at the gate, I'll kick a ball around and you can watch me be shit at football. Same effect for half the price.

Hud the fuck on. "Back yard". What part of the USA is the Broch in?