aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I haven't seen the latter. Is he credited as "Stone Cold Steve Austin"? I love it when entertainers are credited for film appearances by their on stage persona.

Stone Cold Steve Austin on Soccer AM last year was awesome. The only time that show has ever been good. God, I hate Soccer AM.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Yard_(2005_film)

It's pretty good actually. It's a remake of a 1974 film of the same name. It was also remade in the UK with Vinnie Jones and called Mean Machine, and they changed it from gridiron to proper soccerball, ken?

I'm sure it's not a rule that you have to have gone to college, but the first place the big teams send their scouts is the college b-ball and yank football games, so it would be the best place to be if you wanted to be a pro sportsman.

I'm basing this entire assumption on what I've seen in movies by the way.

NFL - it's in the rules - all players have to have been out of high school for at least 3 years before they can be drafted.

NBA - rule is a minimum of 1 year out of high school before they can be drafted. That's only been in place since 2005 though, in the 10 years or so before that the number of guys being drafted straight from high school had increased rapidly.

FACTS.

I have no idea what goes on in the MLS.

So, can you not play in the big leagues in Eggball and B-Ball unless you went to college?

Yep, that's how it works. Colleges send out scouts to high schools and pick all the best players and give them massive scholarships. They have to go to class and acheive certain grades but if you're ace at your sport but thick as fuck they lower the bar. But still, almost all top sportsmen in the States have a degree of some sort. Mental. Good system I think though.

Guest Gladstone
Yep, that's how it works. Colleges send out scouts to high schools and pick all the best players and give them massive scholarships. They have to go to class and acheive certain grades but if you're ace at your sport but thick as fuck they lower the bar. But still, almost all top sportsmen in the States have a degree of some sort. Mental. Good system I think though.

I don't really think it's necessarily a good system though - does that mean complete idiots like Joe Cole wouldn't make the grade as a pro, because they can't pass any exams? (I have no idea if Joe Cole is academic, but I imagine he isn't). Someone with that much talent at sport shouldn't be stopped from going to the top level just because they're stupid. In fact, they should be encouraged because their alternative would be being a scaffy or working at McDonalds (nothing wrong with those chosen careers, but if the alternative is pro footballer, I know which one I'd choose)

NFL - it's in the rules - all players have to have been out of high school for at least 3 years before they can be drafted.

NBA - rule is a minimum of 1 year out of high school before they can be drafted. That's only been in place since 2005 though, in the 10 years or so before that the number of guys being drafted straight from high school had increased rapidly.

FACTS.

I have no idea what goes on in the MLS.

They poach has-beens that used to play in elite leagues, and break the clubs salary budgets to accomodate them? Obviously, education isn't a priority, considering they've got Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg on board.

Guest idol_wild
Oh yeah, I've seen Mean Machine.

Jason Statham's in it. Possibly the greatest movie actor of all time. He can play a whole manner of diverse characters. From the hard man, to the hard man who knows karate, to the prison football team goalkeeper/hard man.

Yeah, and with a shite Scottish accent to boot.

Bad pun intended.

I don't really think it's necessarily a good system though - does that mean complete idiots like Joe Cole wouldn't make the grade as a pro, because they can't pass any exams? (I have no idea if Joe Cole is academic, but I imagine he isn't). Someone with that much talent at sport shouldn't be stopped from going to the top level just because they're stupid. In fact, they should be encouraged because their alternative would be being a scaffy or working at McDonalds (nothing wrong with those chosen careers, but if the alternative is pro footballer, I know which one I'd choose)

Not at all. it just means that they are encouraged and given full support to study just a little bit. Joe Cole wouldn't be playing football and studying medicine for example... it'd just be very basic classes geared towards jocks. It probably never happens that a star quarterback doesnt get to play coz his grades aren't good enough. Keeps them from being total meatheads is all and gives them something for after their careers.

Guest Gladstone
Not at all. it just means that they are encouraged and given full support to study just a little bit. Joe Cole wouldn't be playing football and studying medicine for example... it'd just be very basic classes geared towards jocks. It probably never happens that a star quarterback doesnt get to play coz his grades aren't good enough. Keeps them from being total meatheads is all and gives them something for after their careers.

If you put it that way, it does sound quite good, and would probably help change their attitudes a bit as well.

I'd prefer if you could put them through an apprenticeship or something instead of making it academic though. Some people just aren't built for the academic world, and it would be more use to them to learn to make stuff out of wood (for example) than be forced to sit in a classroom and study.

Instead of going through 5th / 6th year at school plus a few years of uni, they could be doing an apprenticeship at 16, and playing for the youth team till they pass their apprenticeship. And for the academic types, they could be in the youth team from age 16 too, but they have to get a certain qualification before being taken on as a full professional.

Sounds magic to me.

Matt, let's fix football.

If you put it that way, it does sound quite good, and would probably help change their attitudes a bit as well.

I'd prefer if you could put them through an apprenticeship or something instead of making it academic though. Some people just aren't built for the academic world, and it would be more use to them to learn to make stuff out of wood (for example) than be forced to sit in a classroom and study.

Instead of going through 5th / 6th year at school plus a few years of uni, they could be doing an apprenticeship at 16, and playing for the youth team till they pass their apprenticeship. And for the academic types, they could be in the youth team from age 16 too, but they have to get a certain qualification before being taken on as a full professional.

Sounds magic to me.

Matt, let's fix football.

we'd have mega unis and uni football would be on telly like in the states. And the scotland team would be full of kenny deuchar MDs. I'm all for it. There definitely should be some kind of sport/education incentive, for the reason saml4 stated. The amount of people who invest their all in going pro and have very little to show for it when it doesn't go to plan is huge I reckon.

we'd have mega unis and uni football would be on telly like in the states. And the scotland team would be full of kenny deuchar MDs. I'm all for it. There definitely should be some kind of sport/education incentive, for the reason saml4 stated. The amount of people who invest their all in going pro and have very little to show for it when it doesn't go to plan is huge I reckon.

You're right, it must be a lot. Imagine you're a 16 year old kid and you get the opportunity to sign as a professional footballer. You leave school with no qualifications and if you are lucky enough to break through to the first team you are still a long way from getting a career. A lot of guys have broken through at the Dons and are now playing junior football with their career outwith football being completely different to what it may have been.

I did Sport Studies at Uni and the lecturers often commented on the serious lack of facilities and investment, particularly from a government level, and the knock on effect. Take the squash player Peter Nicol, he was a world number one but decided to quit Scotland and play for England due to the serious lack of support he was given...by his own country no less. Lots of countries put us to shame by the organisation they have of sport and leisure and while the U.S. really emphasize this at an educational level, we're seriously lagging.

What the fuck is this about?

TEAMtalk | Football | Scottish Premier League News

McGhee could field weakened team

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee has admitted he may field a weakened team against Celtic in the Scottish Premier League on Saturday.

McGhee believes the SPL clash is less important than the Dons' Active Nation Scottish Cup fifth-round replay against Raith three days later.

Former Hoops striker McGhee was quoted in the Scottish Sun saying: "We do not necessarily have to beat Celtic on Saturday to finish fourth in the SPL and make Europe.

"We do have to beat Raith in the Cup.

"We need our strongest squad to be fit for Tuesday so I will need to be careful who I pick.

"It might be I'll make changes for Saturday to make sure the best team is clear to face Raith. It's something I have to look at carefully."

McGhee is under pressure to beat Raith, with the Dons having crashed out of the Scottish Cup to lower league opponents more than once in recent years.

But resting players may not go down well with Rangers, whose lead over Celtic at the top of the SPL was cut to eight points on Wednesday night.

I think its fair enough, the Raith game is the biggest game of the season so far and we have to win, simple as that. The league is pretty much a write off this season so concentrate on the cup.

Well, tell that to all the folks that pay 22 to get in tomorrow to watch our reserves get taken apart by Celtic. Ridiculous, he's pretty much admitted defeat before the game has even kicked off.

I agree with that. It's an insult to the supporters that pay in regardless of opposition or competition. They might as well step into the ground, turn the other way and listen to the FA Cup matches on the radio.

Chelsea/Cardiff will be a good 'un. With John Terry on compassionate leave, the rest of the team will be quite nervy without their captain... They'll be worried he'll be round their houses, porking their missis'.

Well, tell that to all the folks that pay 22 to get in tomorrow to watch our reserves get taken apart by Celtic. Ridiculous, he's pretty much admitted defeat before the game has even kicked off.

I think this story has been blown out of proportion tbh. I don't expect to see our reserve team playing tomorrow. At most a couple of players rested i.e. Aluko and Zander as they are still recovering from injury.