aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I have plenty of positivity towards the Dons you balloon.

I'm sure you do but you never seem to express them on here! That was all I really meant. Sometimes incessant negativity starts to wear you down.

There's plenty of positives from this season. The fact that we're still in the hunt for top 6 and europe despite the shite squad left inherited by McGhee and that we're still capable of ruining Ranger's weekend. We're still in the Scottish cup and there's some genuinely exciting youngsters coming through.

The only real problem we have is lack of goals.

This season was always going to be a bit of a write off. Frankly I don't care where we finish this season as it's all about re-building a tattered squad after the JC years and preparing for next season. If we're still inconsistent and mid table in January 2011 then I'll start complaining.

I'm sure you do but you never seem to express them on here! That was all I really meant. Sometimes incessant negativity starts to wear you down.

There's plenty of positives from this season. The fact that we're still in the hunt for top 6 and europe despite the shite squad left inherited by McGhee and that we're still capable of ruining Ranger's weekend. We're still in the Scottish cup and there's some genuinely exciting youngsters coming through.

This season was always going to be a bit of a write off. Frankly I don't care where we finish this season as it's all about re-building a tattered squad after the JC years and preparing for next season. If we're still inconsistent and mid table in January 2011 then I'll start complaining.

That post made a lot of sense. I moan about the Dons plenty as well, but I don't think this season is as bad as everyone is making out, we're bossing games for 90 minutes, we just can't get it in the fucking onion bag. If we get a decent striker in January and avoid major injuries, we'll make the top 6 easy. Next year is when we'll really start to see McGhee stamp his authority on the club.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, this was always going to be a transitional season and it is good to see McGhee has identified a lot of our shortcomings.

I think youth is the only way forward for Aberdeen now. We can't match anyone for wages (even in our own division) so young players like Fyvie and Pawlett are the way to go and attempt to sell them for big profit a la Hibs.

Lack of goals has been our problem for a while now. Not had an out and out striker since Stavrum. I'm sure that has to be the main priority.

Would be nice to see a couple of signings before the transfer window closes.

Guest Gladstone

I agree with Maxwell - these guys are still human. I don't understand why football fans can't understand that if they hurl abuse at a player (or a group of players) for 90 minutes solid that it will make them play worse.

It's a slightly extreme example, but remember the Dons in Europe a couple of seasons ago? How well did they play against Bayern Munich and Copenhagen? Packed stadium, electric atmosphere, and the players were understandably buzzing, and played their hearts out. I'm sure the thought of pleasing 20,000 fans added massively to their performance.

I know that sort of atmosphere just isn't going to happen on a freezing cold Saturday afternoon vs St. Johnstone, but if the fans stood up and kept the atmosphere going and got right behind the team, they should play better, which gets the fans more up for it, which makes them play better and so on.

When I was going down to Celtic Park more regularly, the atmosphere used to be amazing, and the team used to get an obvious lift from the crowd. On games that we expected to win, the atmosphere sometimes dropped a little, and it took a goal to get the crowd going, and you could see the difference in the players. More recently, having been spoiled with a bit of success, the fans expect too much, hence the lack of numbers this season, and the much poorer atmosphere around the place. Every game I've been to with the exception of European ties in the past 2/3 years, has been deathly silent until Celtic score a goal. You can feel the tension, and it reflects on the players.

The best game by far that I've been to was the recent 3-2 defeat by Barcelona. The crowd were absolutely pumping, and it really showed in the performance of the players, who managed to take the game to a very good Barcelona side, and take the lead twice in the first half. Their class shone through in the end, but the game was brilliant nonetheless.

we constantly tried to send out positive vibes to Dick Byrne, "come on richie", "i believe in you", etc, anything to encourage him to play like a footballer, didn't quite work out though!

but i agree about the confidence, after Young scored on Sat we were willing him on to have a shot and he almost scored a screamer.

it's always about the rebuilding at Pittodrie, squads never last too long, players always move on,etc.

i don't know what the wage structure is like & i'm not asking milne to spend a load of cash but it's disheartening to read...

Re: Barr

The Jambos were able to offer almost double what was on the table at Pittodrie.

Other targets such as Plymouths Steven MacLean and Swanseas Stephen Dobbie have also yet to be tempted north as McGhee bids to add some firepower to his squad.

Read more: Lack of new signings wont panic McGhee - Press & Journal

why can't we just have the ability to attract a few decent players? all about the money & lack of excitement/belief & well maybe oil capital of europe doesn't do it for wags either.

would just like to see some progress, a bit more consistency, good football and an adoring crowd. not asking much o_O

We're playing Crystal Palace tonight. They went into administration yesterday, and have gone from being 2 points away from the promotion playoffs to just one point clear of relegation. Hopefully this'll deflate the fuck out of them, and we'll paste them 5-0 or summink. Apparently Jonas is going to play at right-back, though. What the fuck?

we constantly tried to send out positive vibes to Dick Byrne, "come on richie", "i believe in you", etc, anything to encourage him to play like a footballer, didn't quite work out though!

The only player ever who has driven me to vocalise my frustration personally and directly. He was hooked at half time that day so it wasn't just me.

As a fan of football I don't think Saturday could be described as anything other than drab.

Glad Spurs got that win last night, those are the games that we need to get results from the most.

In response to Woodsinho's comment: Bale has been on the winning end as a Spurs player before. He hadn't won a game he'd started in the Prem in 23 games admittedly but he's played from the bench and won and been on the winning side in CC and FA Cup games and also in the UEFA Cup (It's also worth remembering he missed most of his first season through injury and if he'd been available probably would've been on a winning side at least once).

Anyway, that stat is behind him now. I really rate him as a player and i hope his performances against Liverpool, Leeds and Fulham have been enough to convince Harry that he's a good long-term prospect.

It's not that I don't rate Bale, he's a decent young prospect, and of course there were 10 other players on the pitch for most, if not all, of those games that didn't end in victory. It's more that I was surprised when I heard it as I thought he would have broken his duck by now thanks to the good half season spurs have had.

What are the odds on 'boro having green and white hoops on the away shirt next season?

Bale's got a decent free kick on him. I don't rate him too highly in any other department, but I haven't seen that much of him. Just his bad games, so it seems. If only kickers could be brought on, like in American Footbal. He could punt a free kick goalwards and then get back on the bench. Marvelous.

He's great at the overlap run and he's got a good turn of pace. He's also good at crossing and isn't afraid to get in and about the oppositions wingers (i'm looking at you Assou-Ekotto!).

His overall pace and ability are great in the same team as Lennon and Modric, allowing Modric to drift in from the left and freeing up Lennon on the right by pulling players across.

It's not that I don't rate Bale, he's a decent young prospect, and of course there were 10 other players on the pitch for most, if not all, of those games that didn't end in victory. It's more that I was surprised when I heard it as I thought he would have broken his duck by now thanks to the good half season spurs have had.

What are the odds on 'boro having green and white hoops on the away shirt next season?

He's not played that much this season due to Assou-Ekotto being "in-form". I think confidence has got to be an underlying factor with Bale and the media don't help that (not that they help anything really). I'd hate to see him go in the same way as Robinson. Robinson leaving will always be a mistake in my opinion.

Just been temp-banned from Aberdeen-Mad for enquiring about the reasons behind Tommy Wright leaving the Dons....anyone shed any light on this?

There was talk earlier this morning on there that something had happened involving Wright and that his sudden contract termination could be related to that. I know one user was saying he had the story but didn't want to post it in case it was a) shite and b) picked up by the press and came back to him.

Could be Ed trying to stop whatever it is being posted and causing shit.

Just been temp-banned from Aberdeen-Mad for enquiring about the reasons behind Tommy Wright leaving the Dons....anyone shed any light on this?

Actually having now read the thread where you were banned it seems it was for this rule:

6. No posting of email addresses and asking people to contact you. It's fairly obvious why this isn't allowed - the potential for misuse of messageboard users email addresses, such as cyber-stalking and selling email addresses to marketing companies.

Yet whenever there's a DVD going people are free to put up their email addresses without recourse. Bit strange.

Derby tonight should be good. I'm wondering if Fergie is going to rest anyone with an eye on the Arsenal game at the weekend. Looking forward to seeing De Jong mard about and kick the fuck out of everyone as fairly as possible. That lad is solid. I bet if he and Vidic had a fight, the earth would just cave inwards.

Hoping for heaps of goals, fighting and had gestures all round. I imagine City will win again. I think, again, they are going to be more up for it. United might play a more conversative game with the more important game at the weekend. I hope that's not true though. I hope everyone goes all out, no excuses.

Man City want to win the Carling Cup, Man Utd aren't so fussed and would rather win at the weekend against Arsenal if they had to pick one out of two. I'm not expecting to see a full strength side but I reckon they'll still make a game of it. Score prediction 0-0 on the night.

Outside of reality - this made me laugh. Back Of The Net Blog Archive City accused of using out-of-date computer game to scout players