aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

According to todays Evening Express we are signing Stephen MacLean, and he'll be signed in time to play against Hearts tomorrow. Joe, did you ever see him play for Wednesday? I hear he was a goal machine.

We're also negotiating with Falkirk for Darren Barr, they've agreed to let us talk to him but they are still trying to hammer out a fee - according to the paper it's going to be a part exchange deal with Gary McDonald going the other way. Seemingly he's agreed to join us in the summer when he's out of contract but McGhee wants to get him in this month, hence negotiations.

And we're also trying to get Scott Dobie on loan from Carlisle.

The Evening are usually pretty accurate when it comes to these things, so fingers crossed. I'd be really happy to get Barr and MacLean at Pittodrie. Barr is a Scotland international, and MacLean seems like a decent striker. He banged them in for Scunthorpe and Sheff Wed.

According to todays Evening Express we are signing Stephen MacLean, and he'll be signed in time to play against Hearts tomorrow. Joe, did you ever see him play for Wednesday? I hear he was a goal machine.

Surely a stick on to score against Hearts if it happens, after they had him on trial then fannied him about.

We've signed Greg Shields and are trying to get clearance for him to play tomorrow, apparently he is match-fit and ready to come in. Hoping McCall doesn't try out any of his dodgy formations tomorrow, either a straight 4-4-2 or maaaaybe a 4-3-3 is the way to go against Utd, a 3-5-2 and we are deed in the water.

Mon!

We're also negotiating with Falkirk for Darren Barr, they've agreed to let us talk to him but they are still trying to hammer out a fee - according to the paper it's going to be a part exchange deal with Gary McDonald going the other way. Seemingly he's agreed to join us in the summer when he's out of contract but McGhee wants to get him in this month, hence negotiations.

And we're also trying to get Scott Dobie on loan from Carlisle.

The Evening are usually pretty accurate when it comes to these things, so fingers crossed. I'd be really happy to get Barr and MacLean at Pittodrie. Barr is a Scotland international, and MacLean seems like a decent striker. He banged them in for Scunthorpe and Sheff Wed.

I'd actually be quite wary about MacLean. He's scored a grand total of 6 goals in the last three years; his best form seems to have come at League One level, but when he's played in the Championship he's either not deemed good enough to start or just hasn't scored goals. I think that, for the most part, the Championship is a higher level than the SPL, but his stats aren't particularly encouraging. That said, stats are like miniskirts, etc.

Barr would be a good signing, though. Exactly the kind of player Aberdeen should be looking to bring in.

Is Alfonso Alves still at Borro'? I remember hearing how good he was before he joined them...

Blackburn Rovers trying to sign Gudjonson (or however you spell it?). That could be a great shout to replace Tubbi McCarthy and offset the complete lack of composure shown by Di Santo, Kalinc and Roberts (when he's not being totally awesome).

Darren Barr would be an unbelievable signing for the dons.

We sold him in the summer to Al-Sadd sports club in Qatar. There were a couple of games at the end of the 07/08 season, against the manchesters united and city, where he looked like he was going to light the place up but then at the start of last season he looked like someone had sucked the confidence out of him and he never recovered.

Darren Barr would be an unbelievable signing for the dons.

I agree although it seems unlikely given how McGhee explained at length why we don't need another centre back (in relation to Anderson). I know he's older but I'd rather take Anderson back than get Barr. I love him and miss him.

I agree although it seems unlikely given how McGhee explained at length why we don't need another centre back (in relation to Anderson). I know he's older but I'd rather take Anderson back than get Barr. I love him and miss him.

This.

Although Barr has played last season as a right back and this is maybe an indication that Maurice Ross will not be signing.

This.

Although Barr has played last season as a right back and this is maybe an indication that Maurice Ross will not be signing.

Aye mibbies. More naturally a centre back though no? I wouldn't be disappointed mind you, he's better than all our current defenders.

That Togo thing is fucked up! Also fucked up is the quote "We were machine gunned, like dogs".

I loved Macca at Wednesday and I was sad to see him go. He seemed sad to leave too as we wouldn't offer him a decent contract, despite his pleas of wanting to stay. It was widely believed he was expected to take quite a bit of a pay cut to make way for Sodje's contract demands, who looked like a brilliant prospect at the time, but ended up being a bit of a flop.

He scored a heap of goals for us, considering the level we were playing at, and how toss we've been for a number of years. His first season at Cardiff saw him net only 1 goal I believe, and Plymouth has only seen him score about 4 or 5 times, so I'd be wary of his form and if he's still able to play as well as he used to.

He's not the biggest of guys though. He must only be about 5'9 or something, and he's in his late 20's so he's not getting any faster. He used to be quite the nippy sort of man on the shoulder, but I don't know if he can still play that way. I'd like to see him at Aberdeen though, and hit a bit of form. His debut season at Scunthorpe on loan, he was incredible. I have no idea why Rangers didn't bring him back. It meant that we got him though, so, that was alright.

So, whats the new with big Russell then? Is he moving to Hibs or Aberdeen or neither? Anyone heard anything?

He's gona rot in Sunderland's reserves unless he shouts from the rooftops that he's available, he's apparently fit again but won't be returning to the Dons I don't think. He'd probably be best off with a move to the Championship unless Celtic or Rangers take a gamble on him which I doubt.

And aye, John Hughes decided against it.