aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I thought the extra games ban was a little harsh - an "appeal dismissed" and "don't do this again" would have been more fitting no?

Not harsh at all. It's the penalty for an unsuccessful appeal and they knew that before they appealed.

The 3 match ban=don't do it again

The extra one match ban=stop wasting our time.

i dont see why they bothered appealing in the first place, surely an appeal is there if there has been a massive balls up by the ref or if he hasnt seen something properly.

as far as i remember, he was pretty close to the incident so if he judges an arm in the puss, it is an arm in the puss and forever it shall be!

Anyone watching Brum v Chelski? Brum had a goal harshly chopped off for offside in the first half, but all the pundits have been boiling my piss.

Drogba was lying on the ground "injured" and seemed to be playing Benitez onside when the ball came across. The pundits (Joe Royle, Kevin Keegan and Matt Holland) have all focussed on where Benitez and Drogba were, and not one pointed out that it doesn't matter a shit where they were, because Benitez was behind the fucking ball! Farking muppets!

We were a bit shite today, Wednesday deserved at least the point they got from the game. Terrible decision by Hughton to give the players the day off yesterday, imo; we looked so lethargic and sluggish at points, it was unreal. Our usual cutting edge was nowhere to be found, and while we had a couple of nice patches, I expected three points today.

Full credit to the Wednesday for a spirited performance. Shocking performance from the officials today as Ameobi's goal was a mile offside and their second was a blatant foul on Harper, so at least the decisions balanced themselves out. Nicky Butt was our best player, much to my surprise, and Harewood put in a good shift in his last game for us. Ameobi was largely rubbish apart from his finish and Colo needs to stop fannying around on the ball. Carroll needs to start every game.

Impressed with the lad McCarthy for Wednesday, looks like a decent player. Tudgay didn't look like he was playing with a lot of confidence but he's looked decent every other time I've seen him play. I thought the boy Varney was heading for a second booking, so it was a smart decision to take him off. Looks quite handy and put himself around well, though.

We were a bit shite today, Wednesday deserved at least the point they got from the game. Terrible decision by Hughton to give the players the day off yesterday, imo; we looked so lethargic and sluggish at points, it was unreal. Our usual cutting edge was nowhere to be found, and while we had a couple of nice patches, I expected three points today.

Full credit to the Wednesday for a spirited performance. Shocking performance from the officials today as Ameobi's goal was a mile offside and their second was a blatant foul on Harper, so at least the decisions balanced themselves out. Nicky Butt was our best player, much to my surprise, and Harewood put in a good shift in his last game for us. Ameobi was largely rubbish apart from his finish and Colo needs to stop fannying around on the ball. Carroll needs to start every game.

Impressed with the lad McCarthy for Wednesday, looks like a decent player. Tudgay didn't look like he was playing with a lot of confidence but he's looked decent every other time I've seen him play. I thought the boy Varney was heading for a second booking, so it was a smart decision to take him off. Looks quite handy and put himself around well, though.

Despite Shola's goal being offside, it was quite good to watch. You reckon he could step it up in the Premier League? He's looking better than most CCC strikers so far, so I hope he can continue.

Tudgay has been invisible for quite some time. He was top scorer in the league for a while, and was banging them in for fun. Hopefully he'll bounce back. Reasonable result today, the fact that we didn't lose and we actually scored a goal after 10 hours of goalless football. 10 hours! Christ.

their second was a blatant foul on Harper, so at least the decisions balanced themselves out.

Can't agree with that mate, goalkeepers get far too much protection. The boy had his eyes on the ball and won the header. Harper (and most goalkeepers in fact) needs to man up.

If I were a Wednesday fan, I'd be raging had it been ruled a foul.

I kind of agree about the protection they get, and fouls on keepers seem to not have a strict line. It's almost any sort of contact on a keeper now can possibly be called as a foul foul, or even stood in his way unintentionally, yet if a keeper clatters into a striker to get the ball, it's 99.999% never ever ever a penalty, which is mental. I'd like to see a bit of consistency with it instead of it being so black and white though, but it really is a difficult one to call without the option of video replays, so you can see is the attacker leaps for the ball before the goalkeeper etc.

Bring back the days of centre backs, boming into the box on a corner, heading the ball in and wiping the goalkeeper out, throwing him into the back of the net too. Back then, keepers had to be rock solid. Not like these floppy haired Ian Walkers and Jussi Jaaskelainens of this world. Arf. Urgh.

Mancini starts with a win and a clean sheet. Still much work to do, but a decent start at least.

yep, bit of a fail putting sorensen in my dream team instead of jaaskelainen. was convinced the players would still be a bit pissy and not give it their all today and thought stoke might sneak a result. Evidently i neglected the cold hard fact that in the end, stoke are just utter shite...

Can't agree with that mate, goalkeepers get far too much protection. The boy had his eyes on the ball and won the header. Harper (and most goalkeepers in fact) needs to man up.

If I were a Wednesday fan, I'd be raging had it been ruled a foul.

Nonsense. Goalkeepers definitely get far too much protection, but the lad was practically hugging Harper. Massive obstruction - he couldn't move because of it.

Despite Shola's goal being offside, it was quite good to watch. You reckon he could step it up in the Premier League? He's looking better than most CCC strikers so far, so I hope he can continue.

I don't know; Shola always shows little flurries of goalscoring form, but he can never quite keep it going (in the Premiership, at least). When we were in the Prem he'd go on good runs of scoring in 3-4 games in a row, and then not score for 10. He's a confidence player and he's definitely upped his finishing a notch this season, but you never can tell with him. I'm absolutely delighted that he's banging them in this season, but I've watched him for years in the Premiership and he's hopeless 90% of the time.

I was pretty pleased to get away with a point by the end of it, to be honest! It's been a long time since our defence has looked that shaky. Usually they'll cruise through the game, but today they were all over the place at times - the defending for your first goal was absolutely comical. I'm sure you'll get out of this rut, unless it was just a case of the players raising their game against the league leaders.

a 3-1 home tanking by local rivals stevenage yesterday. the referee was a tosser even by the usual standard of hapless cretin they send to the Abbey. 1-0 up and reasonably cruising and he gives the most obvious non penalty in the history of the game - incident was clearly outside the box and it looked liked a dive in any case. Then a min later he sends off one of players with a challenge which looked like a yellow at worst. As usual when we play stevenage it was a physical game but the ref spoiled it by being an incompetant buffoon.

oh well, forget about the play offs now unless we can ship out some of the dead wood on ridiculous wages and find some players who are actually up for the job. Still got the FA Trophy and a day out at wembley would be nice! It's a bloody depressing business at times this footy lark!

I was pretty pleased to get away with a point by the end of it, to be honest! It's been a long time since our defence has looked that shaky. Usually they'll cruise through the game, but today they were all over the place at times - the defending for your first goal was absolutely comical. I'm sure you'll get out of this rut, unless it was just a case of the players raising their game against the league leaders.

That seems to be the story of our season so far. We raise our game against rivals, but look hopeless against anyone else. Even though we went 3 goals down, second half against the Blades we looked awesome. Usually when we go behind, we are deflated and just put up a damage limitation. Seems to be different against the bigger sides though. Baring in mind we still don't have a manager, I'm not so sure of survival just yet

Today's "LOL of the day" goes to The Sun:-

Real Madrid weigh up bid for Fabricio Coloccini - Sunday Sun

The only offer we got for him all summer was from Espanyol, who wanted him for 1.2m! Fucking maniacs. The article is blatant nonsense but I'd rather not see him leave just yet; he's actually looked like one of our better players recently and seems to have finally realised that you can't hold onto the ball in your own box for five minutes in English football. Still, I'd rather punt him at the end of the season; we should be able to get a couple of million for him, and that'd be 70k off the wage bill. If Colo goes and we don't renew Geremi (60k p/w) and Butt's (50k p/w) contracts, that's 180k p/w off the wage bill. More than enough money to cover new players to help us survive in the Premership.

Our midfield is such a quandary. We have absolutely no movement through the middle; Nolan and Butt are completely static and Smith'll just sit in front of the back four (that's his role, to be fair), and Geremi has the legs of a 40 year old. Guthrie's always played out of position and Barton just never plays. No matter who we play in the middle we always give away fuckloads of possession because we do not have a good, driving player in there to bring the ball forward, yet the players we do have are almost undroppable. Smith has done a class job as a ball-winner, and Nolan, for all his faults and lethargy, just can't stop scoring. We've been linked with a loan move for Jack Wilshere which would bring some much needed class and flair to the middle of the park, but wtf do we do with him? We can't drop Nolan because he scores all the time, and we can't drop Smith because that'd leave our midfield horrendously imbalanced, yet the Smith/Nolan midfield partnership is so immobile that they don't know how to cope with players who get in their faces and charge them.

It's fine at this level, but I don't know what they hell we're going to do if we go up. We'll need at least two new centre mids and a proper right-winger at the very least.