aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Just another impatient board with too much money for their own good. With Hughes gone, though, I'd love to see us snap-up Bellamy again if we get promoted. Love that angry little bastard, what a player. Not that he'd want to come back, and not that our managerial team would have the sense to make a cheeky bid, but still.

Newcastle vs. Boro is on BBC1 at 12:30 for those who don't know. Hope it doesn't get cancelled, I'm reet looking forward to it.

I'm sure a win is a win for you Murrr, but what did you make of the first half refereeing? I can't say the result really bothered me, but even I was a bit baffled at the amount of niggling fouls on Boro players that weren't given. The first goal was blatant. Taylor's handball was a little less blatant, but it definitely stopped the ball from going in.

I quite liked watching Jonas today, and I see what you mean about him. He's rarely the direct distributor for a goal or chance, but he just drives everything forward, and makes life difficult for the opposition. He wins the ball back in good areas, alot like a Tevez sort of character, but perhaps not as physical.

A manager with three Serie A titles, and four Coppa Italia's, and Lawrenson describes him as "inexperienced". What a fucking cocksocket.

As far as the decision goes, I'm not convinced the timing or the appointment is right. With the amount of players new to the club, it was always going to take a period to gel. While we've not picked up enough points lately, 6th in the league with a game in hand at Xmas isn't too far off the goal for the season of top four.

With Mancini coming in, he'll have his own ideas and I fully expect it'll take him a good six months to bed into the English game - making the rest of this season write-off. How much of the 200M spent in thast 18 months will have to be written off?

Annoyingly, at this point I'd normally slate Rocky, but the bastard scored twice today. Fudbracket.

Incidentally, I found this a really interesting read with a lot of valid points: Is Mark Hughes the man to make City a top four team and win trophies? (part one) Blue Days

Mascherano's challenge on Tal Ben Haim today was fucking awful. I can't say I felt any sympathy for him after being red-carded and injured. Peniswrench.

Not inexperienced, but he's not a very good manager. I'd rate him as tactically inept as Hughes. With the squad he inherited at Inter, and the lack of competition from other clubs at the time, they probably could have won the league without a manager. Despite having an impeccable set of players, he made no impact in Europe with Inter. I just don't think he has a command in the dressing room. He'll struggle with egos like Robinho and Adebayor have a good whinge at foreign tabloids any given chance. In a much more competitive league, I struggle to see how he'll manage to do anything than Hughes couldn't.

Hughes was struggling to find wins, but City were hard to beat and no one in the PL have lost as little as City. He needed more time to persist with this galactico empire which these madcap Arabs are aiming to build. You could have had Ferguson at the realm, and I doubt the results would have been much different.

I'm wary that whilst Hughes was a bit daft on the transfer market, you have to wonder how many of those targets were his own. He made very good investments in players like Bellamy and De Jong. Mancini looks like he's going to come in, pick his favourite players from Pro Evo, and demand them to be brought to him.

As Hodgson recently said, "Your best 11 player players on paper is not always your best team". I think that mindset was thrown out of the window at Eastlands long ago.

I'm sure a win is a win for you Murrr, but what did you make of the first half refereeing? I can't say the result really bothered me, but even I was a bit baffled at the amount of niggling fouls on Boro players that weren't given. The first goal was blatant. Taylor's handball was a little less blatant, but it definitely stopped the ball from going in.

I quite liked watching Jonas today, and I see what you mean about him. He's rarely the direct distributor for a goal or chance, but he just drives everything forward, and makes life difficult for the opposition. He wins the ball back in good areas, alot like a Tevez sort of character, but perhaps not as physical.

The referee was absolutely abysmal today. There is absolutely no question that our first goal should've been disallowed. Just a complete joke of a decision. How did the ref and his assistants miss that? Shola blatantly shoved the boy in the back. Okay, the guy went down like a dying swan, but that's beside the point. Never should've counted.

Boro got absolutely nothing from the referee the whole game. I can't actually remember Taylor's handball (genuinely, I'm not just trying to do a Wenger here) but I can remember thinking at the time we were lucky to get away with it. I also recall a corner we were given that was complete bullshit too; Nolan flicking a "shot" miles over the bar inside a crowded box, when there was clearly no contact from a Boro player.

That said, I don't care how we win, as long as we keep doing it. I'll take every dodgy refereeing decision, every goal that should've been disallowed, and every bit of bias from the officials if it gets us promoted at the end of the season. Of course, it would be nice to go up by being totally badass and playing the sexy football, but fuck it. It's all about 3 points.

I thought Enrique was great again today; he really does like a class above most of the players in this league. Jonas did his usual job, Guthrie put in a decent shift and Colo looked very composed at the back. Other than that? Harewood and Ameobi just doesn't work as a strike partnership. Both are so uncoordinated and out of sync with one another that we looked completely toothless at points. I know it seems weird to complain about two players who scored (and individually, they were both okay), but neither of their goals came from their work as a top two. For me, Carroll has to be playing week-in, week-out as he brings a good balance to our attacking play.

Wasn't too impressed with Boro, even if the referee had it in for them. Lita looks like an absolutely rotten player.

Also, did anyone else see Nicky Butt's overhead kick?! It was the funniest thing ever, must've watched it at least 10 times again on Sky+. It was ridiculous; there were no Boro players even remotely close to him, he was in his own half, and he just decides "well, normal players would just control this and pass it on... BUT I'M NICKY BUTT, DAMNIT!" and overhead kicks it out of play. This is just a glimpse of what it would be like if Chuck Norris played football.

He's got a champions league medal. He can do whatever he wants. He could take a knife to the ball and postone the game if he wanted.

Now I think about it, surely he must be the most decorated player in the Championship? Like the Ryan Giggs of second tier football. Must also be the only player in the league with a CL winners medal?

Must also be the only player in the league with a CL winners medal?

Technically Jonathan Greening is still a WBA player (season long loan to Fulham I think?) and he was in the squad that beat Bayern Munich. I think I have just found a loophole rather than given a proper answer so I'll award myself half a point!

Footy trivia is a superb way to pass time on these quiet days in work leading up to xmas.

He's got a champions league medal. He can do whatever he wants. He could take a knife to the ball and postone the game if he wanted.

Now I think about it, surely he must be the most decorated player in the Championship? Like the Ryan Giggs of second tier football. Must also be the only player in the league with a CL winners medal?

Good question. There's gotta be an ancient foreigner with a bunch of medals somewhere. Where's Woodsinho when you need him?

Technically Jonathan Greening is still a WBA player (season long loan to Fulham I think?) and he was in the squad that beat Bayern Munich. I think I have just found a loophole rather than given a proper answer so I'll award myself half a point!

Footy trivia is a superb way to pass time on these quiet days in work leading up to xmas.

Would Greening have made enough appearances to actually be awarded with a winners medal?

He scored a right goal against Liverpool once. It was Cantona's comeback, due to his suspension after he STOOD UP FOR HIMSELF AGAINST A NASTY MAN IN THE CROWD. King Eric crossed it in. Butt controlled it, taking it over the defender swinging leg, and then poked it past David James. Sublime.

He did play for Man Utd alot, for some reason. I don't know why. He also convinced Ferguson to sign Michael Owen. he's just an all round winner, eh?