aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Have you seen his past few games? I personally think he's been awful for the most part of the season, with only glimpses of good. They didn't win, but the pace to their game was so much more devastating down the right against Birmingham, because he slows everything right down to a hault. He's very indecisive when the ball is at his feet, and 5 or 6 times against Leeds, he ran and ran until he ran out of space when he should have either shot or passed across goal, and was eventually dispossessed. In the same game, a cross went right across goal, which he was running towards and was about 6 yards away from. And he just stopped, when he should have just thrown himself at it. He does that far too much, not just with crosses, but passes that don't go right to his feet. He just sees it roll by and gives up. I think that's what infuriates people the most.

The way he plays, people don't expect him to be banging them in, but they do expect a bit of assertiveness to his play, and to just take a gamble.

There's no excuse for constantly being out of position. There;s been numerous times this season where Carrick, Fletcher and Evra have all been further up the pitch than him. A cross will fly in, and there's only Rooney to aim it, whilst Berbatov jogs around.

Tevez could have been the player he is now at City if he was employed properly. At City, he plays with a striker in front of him. If he's up top on his own, he just runs around not really knowing what to do, which is what happened alot over the past two seasons, and has happened when tevez has fronted City's attack, too. He's much more effectIve than Berbatov playing the role in a hole, as he speeds everything up, and works well when he has space and time at the tip of the final third.

I've just given up on Berbatov. I used to love him. He used to have such an ethic about him, but now he looks so uninterested.

On Saturday, Off The Ball played out with a song suggested by Celtic fans in memory of Gary Caldwell:

Little Donkey, composed by Eric Boswell, performed by Gracie Fields and Graeme Danby | Music | guardian.co.uk

First time I've LOL'd at that show for a while.

Have you seen his past few games? I personally think he's been awful for the most part of the season, with only glimpses of good. They didn't win, but the pace to their game was so much more devastating down the right against Birmingham, because he slows everything right down to a hault. He's very indecisive when the ball is at his feet, and 5 or 6 times against Leeds, he ran and ran until he ran out of space when he should have either shot or passed across goal, and was eventually dispossessed. In the same game, a cross went right across goal, which he was running towards and was about 6 yards away from. And he just stopped, when he should have just thrown himself at it. He does that far too much, not just with crosses, but passes that don't go right to his feet. He just sees it roll by and gives up. I think that's what infuriates people the most.

The way he plays, people don't expect him to be banging them in, but they do expect a bit of assertiveness to his play, and to just take a gamble.

There's no excuse for constantly being out of position. There;s been numerous times this season where Carrick, Fletcher and Evra have all been further up the pitch than him. A cross will fly in, and there's only Rooney to aim it, whilst Berbatov jogs around.

Tevez could have been the player he is now at City if he was employed properly. At City, he plays with a striker in front of him. If he's up top on his own, he just runs around not really knowing what to do, which is what happened alot over the past two seasons, and has happened when tevez has fronted City's attack, too. He's much more effectIve than Berbatov playing the role in a hole, as he speeds everything up, and works well when he has space and time at the tip of the final third.

I've just given up on Berbatov. I used to love him. He used to have such an ethic about him, but now he looks so uninterested.

I agree he's not been performing anywhere near where he should be and so far the transfer has been pretty unsuccesful in terms of individual expectations. However, he's still been a decent team player, if not an electrifying centre forward. He's not playing very well but he doesn't give possesion away, links up play, etc. Something an underperforming headless chicken Tevez wouldn't acheive. I'd rather have an off-form Berbatov than an off-form Tevez basically. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact stat now but at some point earlier on in the season they had won 8 and lost 1 with Berbatov in the line-up and won 4, lost 3 without him.

Tevez was tried in a number of positions and was inconsistent. Cracking at times but pure frustrating at others. He's the type of player that you can only have one in your team. Man Utd have Rooney who in my opinion does what Tevez does plus a little bit more. Im glad he's playing well at City, I love the little munchin, great to watch but I think it's easy to play up the Fergie having sour grapes about him leaving coz I really don't see him being able to have reached these dizzying heights at Utd.

On an unrelated topic... There were only 1000 people at the Malawi vs Algeria game today. The staduim was almost completely empty. What is that all about? I thought they were all geared up for this tournament.

How are Celtic going to cope by losing 4 of their players? Their squad isn't that big.

Well, two of them are Chris Killen and Willo Flood, we'll be alright without them.

Barry Robson leaving is absolute madness though. We don't have enough creativity in midfield as it is, and there's no talk of replacements. Bizarre.

As a Celtic and Middlesbrough fan, however, I'll enjoy the benefit of Gary Caldwell more than most.

Guest Gladstone
Well, two of them are Chris Killen and Willo Flood, we'll be alright without them.

Barry Robson leaving is absolute madness though. We don't have enough creativity in midfield as it is, and there's no talk of replacements. Bizarre.

As a Celtic and Middlesbrough fan, however, I'll enjoy the benefit of Gary Caldwell more than most.

Despite the fact we've just signed a central defender, I'm not particularly happy that Caldwell's off. I haven't had a chance to see much football this season to be honest, so I'm only commenting on a handful of games really, but isn't it McManus that has been utter shite for the past couple of seasons? Caldwell was carrying him a lot in the games I've seen. In fact, ever since McManus was given the armband, he went downhill very quickly. The only games that I've seen McManus perform anywhere near as good as he was as a youngster was playing alongside Weir for Scotland. McManus isn't a leader and neads to be led. A no nonsense defender with absolutely zero skill.

Caldwell was immense for about a season, but has let his award go to his head (and that's a big head...), but I don't think he's as terrible as a lot of people make out.

I'm still massively disappointed with the Bobo Balde farce. We were crying out for the big hardy hammering bastard for months when Strachan was in charge, but just wouldn't fucking play him. We should have bit the bullet and paid the performances cash and had him in there to scare the fuck out of the forwards like he was so good at in the past. One of the glaring differences since the O'Neill team is how many goals Celtic concede from set pieces. We used to have a big solid 3 man defence that let absolutely no fucker in and about the box without a massive fight. Remember Sebo knocking McManus out? Balde would have ate that little shit for breakfast.

We're now left with McManus, Loovens and a Livi reject. No sign of O'Dea coming back either. I'd much rather Caldwell was in there than not to be honest.

As for selling Barry Robson? Fucking ridiculous. He's an absolute workhorse who gives everything and has a pretty good left foot on him too. Robson and Hartley won us the league 2 seasons ago. I'd much rather have Robson in the team than Scott Brown, I'd keep Robson, and get Scott Brown fit again, and get him punted because we could con someone into splashing a few million on him just because he's one of these players with a bit of hype surrounding him.

I agree he's not been performing anywhere near where he should be and so far the transfer has been pretty unsuccesful in terms of individual expectations. However, he's still been a decent team player, if not an electrifying centre forward. He's not playing very well but he doesn't give possesion away, links up play, etc. Something an underperforming headless chicken Tevez wouldn't acheive. I'd rather have an off-form Berbatov than an off-form Tevez basically. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact stat now but at some point earlier on in the season they had won 8 and lost 1 with Berbatov in the line-up and won 4, lost 3 without him.

Tevez was tried in a number of positions and was inconsistent. Cracking at times but pure frustrating at others. He's the type of player that you can only have one in your team. Man Utd have Rooney who in my opinion does what Tevez does plus a little bit more. Im glad he's playing well at City, I love the little munchin, great to watch but I think it's easy to play up the Fergie having sour grapes about him leaving coz I really don't see him being able to have reached these dizzying heights at Utd.

On an unrelated topic... There were only 1000 people at the Malawi vs Algeria game today. The staduim was almost completely empty. What is that all about? I thought they were all geared up for this tournament.

I'm not sure I like that statistic about Berbatov. I can't really argue with it, but it can't really prove that one player changed the whole dynamic. 3 season ago, a very similar statistic was brought up about Park Ji Sung, and he's fucking rubbish, but they won over 95% per cent of league games when he played, despite him not racking a single goal or assist when that statistic was recorded.

I'd just like to see Berbatov play with a bit of heart. He's got everything except that vigour to his game. He gets the Cantona comparison, but even Cantona looked a bit bothered, and would run through a wall for the cause.

The thing I like about Tevez is that even when he's not playing particularly well, he has an effect on the game. he drives everyone forward, like everyone is looking at how hard he's working and the rest of the team think "Right on!" or something. When he came on as a sub alot last season, he'd rarely score or even assist, but he'd just bomb forward and hope for the best, and it rallied the whole team together. I personally prefer that attribute in a player. But what do I know? I was bottom of the league with Barcelona on Football Manager 09 before giving up. No idea what I'm doing.

Guest Gladstone

I followed the link at the top of your google search, which listed Balde as a member of the current squad, but he isn't a Celtic player anymore.

I wish he was, but he signed for Valenciennes last year sometime.

I was going to post this, reminds me so much of Alan Partridges chat with Chris Morris regarding local farmers. I honestly thought someone was going to scream THESE CHICKENS ARE SCARED.

Haha, it is a great bit of parochial scandal. Good on him for having a go. He comes across as a bit of a prick, runs out of steam in his rant and ends up just repeating himself but at least he's being honest.

Speaking of returning to old turf, if Fergie is so worried about there not being any value in the transfer market, he should snap up Van Nistelrooy who is now surplus to requirements at Madird, since Higuain is being incredible. Stoke are apparently talking to him, and that would be such a good buy for them. There's so much value in him, as he was never a player who relied on pace. His scoring record is one of the best on the planet in terms of goals to minutes. He'll score in any team, as his intelligence in the box is practically unparralleled.

I'd love to see him in the Premier League again. I hope Stoke manage to snap him up. He really should be playing for a better side though.

Speaking of returning to old turf, if Fergie is so worried about there not being any value in the transfer market, he should snap up Van Nistelrooy who is now surplus to requirements at Madird, since Higuain is being incredible. Stoke are apparently talking to him, and that would be such a good buy for them. There's so much value in him, as he was never a player who relied on pace. His scoring record is one of the best on the planet in terms of goals to minutes. He'll score in any team, as his intelligence in the box is practically unparralleled.

I'd love to see him in the Premier League again. I hope Stoke manage to snap him up. He really should be playing for a better side though.

I'd like to echo this statement. He's been criminally overlooked of late. RVN and Owen up front... it'd be like a world dream team from 2001.

Yeah, it was a bit of a bust up, but he still has good relationships with Beckham and Forlan, who he also drove out of the club due to bust ups. Perhaps ol' Rudolf can forgive and forget, for whatever it is that Ruud did.

He forgave Beckham for getting a bit cross when he had a football boot kicked right into his mug.

Heart of gold, I say.

I'd like to echo this statement. He's been criminally overlooked of late. RVN and Owen up front... it'd be like a world dream team from 2001.

He's still got it, unlike Owen, who is scuffing tap-ins at every opportunity. Ruud scored a fair few last season considering he barely played. He's only had 13 minutes of football this season though. He scored in those minutes too.

What a champ.

That was utterly horrific. We looked the better (but still awful side) until we took Marshall off (not that he was any good) and just seemed to lose the plot, St Mirren built up a bit of pressure and got the goal. Professional footballers not having the ability to do basic functions is just embarrassing. Most players could hardly control the ball, let alone play a pass. I kid you not, Mackie was one of our best players, despite the fact he started the game playing the lone striker role and had to put up with long from defence the whole game. Grassi was particularly bad.

Brian Laws to be appointed Burnley manager.

What do you reckon of that, Meesta Spies? I don't think it makes a great deal of sense, employing a man who just left a club in the Championship's relegation zone to try and help a Premiership side avoid relegation. I would've thought that O'Driscoll would've been a better option. Ah well, at least Laws'll be cheap.