aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

The Blades aren't doing so hot this season. Spurs raided some of their better players, although I think one of them is still on loan there. Losing to Burnley in the Playoffs certainly deflated their momentum a bit. Which is ACE. Although they still gave us a tonking in the derby a few weeks back, despite a courageous comeback.

The sad thing is, Wednesday beat both playoff finalists home and away last season, putting a total of 8 goals past Burnley, who went on to beat Man Utd in the succession of their promotion, whilst we are sitting not very pretty between mid table and the drop zone. It just doesn't make sense.

Guest Gladstone
The Blades aren't doing so hot this season. Spurs raided some of their better players, although I think one of them is still on loan there. Losing to Burnley in the Playoffs certainly deflated their momentum a bit. Which is ACE. Although they still gave us a tonking in the derby a few weeks back, despite a courageous comeback.

The sad thing is, Wednesday beat both playoff finalists home and away last season, putting a total of 8 goals past Burnley, who went on to beat Man Utd in the succession of their promotion, whilst we are sitting not very pretty between mid table and the drop zone. It just doesn't make sense.

I think that all means you're better than Man United and you'd beat them 10-0 if you played them.

Hibs "casuals" are the worst, because they don't start with other "casuals" - they'll go for what "casuals" refer to as scarfers (fans who display their club colours).

That's exactly what a happened, fucking cowards.

Anyway back to the game, ref was a joke, he's dished out 12 yellows and 2 reds in 2 SPL games total joke it wasn't even a dirty game, worst challenge was the one by murray on fyvie and murray didn't even get spoken to.

What were your thoughts on the pre match huddle?

I'm not too fussed about it but there were a fair few folk booing when they did it.

I'm not too fussed about it but there were a fair few folk booing when they did it.

Anything that increases morale and gets the team fighting for each other gets a thumbs up from me.

I would've liked to have seen one of our senior players take Murray out late on after his tackle on Fyvie.

Guest idol_wild
That's exactly what a happened, fucking cowards.

Anyway back to the game, ref was a joke, he's dished out 12 yellows and 2 reds in 2 SPL games total joke it wasn't even a dirty game, worst challenge was the one by murray on fyvie and murray didn't even get spoken to.

I never saw the huddle because Hibs only opened 4 turnstyles for over 3,000 fans, so I had to queue for twenty minutes to get in. So I missed the kick-off. Celtic aren't the only team who has ever had a pre-match huddle, so I think Aberdeen fans should get the fuck over it and stop associating it purely with Celtic.

I thought Murray's challenge on Fyvie was actually brilliant. If it was an Aberdeen player doing it to someone else, the Aberdeen fans would have loved it. He won the ball, hard and aggressively. He just so happened to catch Fyvie too, but it wasn't a foul at all; I was just pissed off with his reaction to Fyvie afterwards - gesturing to him that he was time wasting and cheating.

Anything that increases morale and gets the team fighting for each other gets a thumbs up from me.

I would've liked to have seen one of our senior players take Murray out late on after his tackle on Fyvie.

That was one positive from the game - the players did look like they were fighting for each other, especially after the red cards, good vocal support from the fans too!

Guest idol_wild
That was one positive from the game - the players did look like they were fighting for each other, especially after the red cards, good vocal support from the fans too!

Yeah, Fraser Fyvie in particular impressed me with his workrate. He was always chasing the Hibs players after Gary McDonald gave the ball away - which happened a lot. I can scarcely believe that guy actually gets paid to play football. A 16 year old was the stand-out midfielder for Aberdeen in a game where McDonald and Kerr should be lifting themselves and leading by example. This, I feel, is why Aberdeen are going to have a very mixed season. I just hope McGhee recognises this and punts them when the opportunity arises.

Guest idol_wild

I just watched back the highlights of the Hibs v Aberdeen game. I fucking hate Hibs. When Fyvie is being stretchered down the touchline after his injury, the Hibs fans are shouting abuse at him. That is fucking horrible. A promising 16 year old kid, being stretched off with a blanket over him...what the fuck?

Also, apparently the referee actually told Chris Maguire at half-time that he was looking for a reason to send him off. Now, I fucking hate Chris Maguire and I think he's a total waste of space, but isn't that quite literally cheating?

Hibs "casuals" are the worst, because they don't start with other "casuals" - they'll go for what "casuals" refer to as scarfers (fans who display their club colours).

I was shown a text by a guy I was with, informing us that a number of our smartly dressed comrades had been herded straight back onto a train when they got to Edinburgh. Explains why the Hibs lot got bored, I suppose. :rolleyes:

The Dazzler would have put him in his place. ;)

I thought Murray's challenge on Fyvie was actually brilliant. If it was an Aberdeen player doing it to someone else, the Aberdeen fans would have loved it. He won the ball, hard and aggressively. He just so happened to catch Fyvie too, but it wasn't a foul at all; I was just pissed off with his reaction to Fyvie afterwards - gesturing to him that he was time wasting and cheating.

Agreed that it was a good tackle, and unfortunate that it caused such an injury, but regardless of whether it was fair or not, he's still hurt the lad. As a result, you'd be looking at G-Mac or Kerr to stick the boot in a bit.

Yeah, Fraser Fyvie in particular impressed me with his workrate. He was always chasing the Hibs players after Gary McDonald gave the ball away - which happened a lot. I can scarcely believe that guy actually gets paid to play football. A 16 year old was the stand-out midfielder for Aberdeen in a game where McDonald and Kerr should be lifting themselves and leading by example. This, I feel, is why Aberdeen are going to have a very mixed season.

McDonald hides from play, Kerr tries to get too involved.

Kerr is always looking to get on the ball which I admire, it's just a shame that he does fuck all with it when he gets it. Actually, he does do something with it - he loses it. It was his fault for Hibs' first goal when he punted the ball into the box rather than retaining posession.

These two have had horrendous starts to this season - Kerr in particular needs a kick up the arse.

I just hope McGhee recognises this and punts them when the opportunity arises.

Both set to be offered new deals once the Mulgrew negotiations are sorted out...

Also, apparently the referee actually told Chris Maguire at half-time that he was looking for a reason to send him off. Now, I fucking hate Chris Maguire and I think he's a total waste of space, but isn't that quite literally cheating?

Ref apparently said to Maguire that he was 'really close' to sending him off after his first-half challenge on Derek Riordan.

Seems he's very intent on being one of these power-hungry referees that think they're ace. I bet he's also one of those linesmen that love to get involved if it means they get a few column inches.

Guest idol_wild

Both set to be offered new deals once the Mulgrew negotiations are sorted out...

I'm not convinced by Mulgrew as a footballer yet. He's got a decent free-kick by SPL standards, but doesn't really appear to have any other outstanding attributes. I'm worried he'll get offered a substantial deal only for him to barely do the minimum required. Much like Lee Miller. I'd quite like to see him elsewhere so we can get a more dynamic centre-forward in, particularly if McGhee is intent on switching to 4-5-1 so frequently.

McDonald has never ever impressed me at all. I think it's always wasteful to have him in midfield because he contributes nothing of note, aside from four or five goals a season. Along with Maguire, Kerr and Foster, McDonald is one of the reasons I grudge paying to watch Aberdeen - I always feel cheated by them whenever I go.

Foster had a good game at the weekend, Maguire obviously has talent but looks to be suffering from Darren Mackie syndrome ('pace' which is not really pace).

Mulgrew is as talented a left-sider as Aberdeen can afford and it's a boost that he's so good at dead balls.

Similarly, Lee Miller has all the attributes that a target man needs he just needs someone clever and pacey up top with him.

4-4-2 for me every time please...it's not rocket science. Our current squad, at full fitness is good (majorly helped by the emergance of Fyvie and Pawlett). Need a ball-winning central midfielder in the mould of Bisconti or Heikkinen. Or a Mark Kerr that has a bit of balls about him.

Langfield

Ross - Diamond - Ifil - Foster

Pawlett - Fyvie - Kerr - Mulgrew

Miller - Aluko

Please?

I reckon Maguire could turn into a decent player if he had a bit of determination and graft to him. He has a first touch and good technique but gives up way to easily. One of my pals hates him for the reason that "he runs like a fucking pansy", a bit harsh perhaps!

Fortunately determination is something he can learn though but it is something he has got to realise himself and start getting stuck in.

Won't get cash for him in January and even if so it'll be a token fee. I can't see any clubs wanting him, to be fair - certainly not as a 'come in change our season' January signing. Yes he has a great left foot but doesn't offer much defensively and is not dynamic or pacey enough going forward for, say, the Championship. Whereas he does an important job for Aberdeen as really our only creative force.

Got to balance punting him for next to nothing with having him on board for the second half of the season.

This is just another example of AFC and their terrible contract negotiations/contract lengths/general lack of being able to do anything right.

And the fact most of the first team are out of contract at the end of this season just compounds this.

Although in saying that, a total clearout would be no bad thing.

Mulgrew would be no great loss in the grand scheme of things. Yes, he created (and scored) a few goals in the first few games of the season, but hasn't contributed anything of note the past 4 or 5 games.

And as you say, is horse defensively.

Guest Gladstone
This is just another example of AFC and their terrible contract negotiations/contract lengths/general lack of being able to do anything right.

And the fact most of the first team are out of contract at the end of this season just compounds this.

Although in saying that, a total clearout would be no bad thing.

Mulgrew would be no great loss in the grand scheme of things. Yes, he created (and scored) a few goals in the first few games of the season, but hasn't contributed anything of note the past 4 or 5 games.

And as you say, is horse defensively.

I think it's also an awful lot to do with bastardy agents.

Players are more often holding out for more and more money. Now, there isn't really a problem with a player trying to get the best possible deal, but how often is this happening? And in a time where club finances are very tight due to the recession and particularly in Scotland due to the shite TV money etc on the table. A player like Gary Caldwell who has had one very good season and has been patchy the rest of the time, is sitting tight till he gets up with the top earners at the club. All this has achieved is distracting him from playing fucking football and concentrating on the game. Since he publicly announced that he won't extend his contract on the current terms, he's been completely gash, only justifying his place because his partner McManus is even worse.

If these agents weren't there, I'm sure a few players might end up getting screwed a little bit because they aren't all real bright sparks in the football world, but if you cut the bloody agent fee out of a player's outgoings, he wouldn't need to be paid that extra few grand a week...

/rant.

Does anyone else get the reason behind the Dons players and management going apeshit at the ref for the Hibs game last Saturday?

I saw the highlights yesterday, and really don't see that the ref did that much wrong on the key decisions. I think Maguire's "straight red" was a bit harsh, but he'd been booked anyway, so a yellow would have done the same job.

Ross walked for two stupid fouls, and if I'm being honest, Ian Murray seemed to win the ball fairly. It was a hard tackle, but McGhee's claims that Murray "took Fyvie out" just look very ill-informed when you watch the replays. If Fyvie had done the same to Murray, I sincerely doubt that McGhee would have done anything other than insist that it was a perfectly fair tackle.

Now it sounds likely that we're going to end up on a SFA charge, and probably get a 20k fine despite apparently being skint.

To me, this all seems like desperate madness from AFC. Just swallow the decision and move on....getting fined over this is a fucking joke.

Does anyone else get the reason behind the Dons players and management going apeshit at the ref for the Hibs game last Saturday?

I saw the highlights yesterday, and really don't see that the ref did that much wrong on the key decisions. I think Maguire's "straight red" was a bit harsh, but he'd been booked anyway, so a yellow would have done the same job.

Ross walked for two stupid fouls, and if I'm being honest, Ian Murray seemed to win the ball fairly. It was a hard tackle, but McGhee's claims that Murray "took Fyvie out" just look very ill-informed when you watch the replays. If Fyvie had done the same to Murray, I sincerely doubt that McGhee would have done anything other than insist that it was a perfectly fair tackle.

Now it sounds likely that we're going to end up on a SFA charge, and probably get a 20k fine despite apparently being skint.

To me, this all seems like desperate madness from AFC. Just swallow the decision and move on....getting fined over this is a fucking joke.

I thought the Murray challenge was an excellent tackle. What if he goes in half hearted because "ach, he's only 16" but doesn't take the ball and then Fyvie gets away from him as well. Does he really want John Hughes screaming him down for that?! Most good defenders will go for the ball but will take the player as well for extra measure, partly so they can't get away from you if the ball breaks their way and partly to remind them your still in the game.

Watching the highlights, I thought the ref was way to quick to go for his cards. The second tackle by Ross was just clumsy rather than malicious and even the Hibs players were telling Maguire he was unlucky with his second foul. Maybe a more experienced ref might have recognised who had made the foul and had a word with them to say that they are treading a fine line now. Bebo's first challenge on Riordon was just stupid though.

That said, the highlights maybe don't show the whole story as they could have both been on last warnings for persistent fouling. So to summarise, the Dons have over-reacted but the ref is still a cunt.