aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

OK.

1) I don't think that Kyle Lafferty is a better target man than Lee Miller

2) I don't think that Kyle Lafferty is a better footballer than Lee Miller

3) I think that Kyle Lafferty is a shambles, and I challenge anyone who has seen his attempts at playing football since he joined the Bosche to argue otherwise

I think you're wrong on all accounts and i hate Rangers as much as any other non-Rangers supporting guy.

You only think Miller is good because you support Aberdeen.

As for your Left-wing comment on Lafferty, taken from a definition of a target man:

The centre forward is often a tall player, typically known as a target man, who is used to win long balls or receive passes and "hold up" the ball as team-mates advance, to help teammates score by providing a pass ('through ball' into the box), or to score himself; the latter variation usually requiring quicker pace. Some forwards operate on the wings of the field and work their way goalward. A centre forward usually must be strong, to win key headers and 'outmuscle' defenders.

It doesn't mention falling over or ballooning the ball at your own midfielders, like Miller, so you can't be right ;)

Phil, how often do you see Lee Miller play? Considering you don't go to football games and Aberdeen arn't on the tele very often, i don't understand how you can have such a stubborn attitude towards him.

For the record, i think when he can be bothered it is clear that Lee Miller is the best footballer in the Aberdeen team, shame he has such a bad attitude. Can't see him doing very well in the championship.

I think you're wrong on all accounts and i hate Rangers as much as any other non-Rangers supporting guy.

You only think Miller is good because you support Aberdeen.

As for your Left-wing comment on Lafferty, taken from a definition of a target man:

It doesn't mention falling over or ballooning the ball at your own midfielders, like Miller, so you can't be right ;)

Nope. A million miles from the truth. If I only liked Miller because I support Aberdeen then I dare say I wouldnt have rated him at Falkirk and Hearts as well, and I wouldn't have thought that TSMSTID utilised his talents terribly. I rate Miller because he's an excellent footballer. Also, you seem to think Aberdeen fans DON'T rate him and he's been pish up here, which kind of defies your own argument as to why I like him.

My counter argument is that you don't rate him because he had a holocaust with your lot. Look at the evidence: Lee Miller signs for TSMTID for 225k, then leaves 14months later to join us for free. In the time with us he gets two caps (IIRC, could be three) for Scotland and moves to Middlesbrough for 500k. To any rational observer, it looks like he has improved tremendously as a player at Pittodrie and (gulp) might have been deployed poorly by Brewster at the PJMs.

He pisses all over any other target man in the SPL imo, and he'll do well in the Championship IF he has a good partner. Ignore all the SkyTV-hype - the Championship is still a long-ball, physical league in the main , where a good target man is worth his salt. Hence the transfer.

PS. Kyle Lafferty is still a joke.

Phil, how often do you see Lee Miller play? Considering you don't go to football games and Aberdeen arn't on the tele very often, i don't understand how you can have such a stubborn attitude towards him.

For the record, i think when he can be bothered it is clear that Lee Miller is the best footballer in the Aberdeen team, shame he has such a bad attitude. Can't see him doing very well in the championship.

My brother and his mates are season ticket holders at Shittodrie, i've seen him play twice in the flesh for Utd where he played in the same role as he does for Aberdeen and i've seen him play once in the flesh for Aberdeen. I've seen numerous Utd games on the tele and numerous Aberdeen games (Euro jaunt and others) as well. Who says i don't go to football games? I don't go to many, i've been to 3 Utd games this season and will be at the Aberdeen vs Utd game in March. It's not a competition though is it, no matter what the holier than thou brigade would have you think. Money doesn't grow on trees and neither does my time.

He wasn't worth 225k when we bought him though i will concede that with inflation he might well be "worth" 500k now in a monetary sense.

My attitude towards him at United was that i felt that we could've spent better but he did a job for us while he was there, sure i was annoyed he left on a free but it wasn't the end of the world i think we're better off at the moment as we've got several players up front who have scored more goals than Miller this season. There were much better players at United then and there are now as well. It, on the other hand, would be very hard for him not to be one of the better players at Aberdeen though as the Aberdeen squad is woeful across the board.

I honestly hope Fyvie gets picked up by someone who could build his career a bit better and so that he's not subjected to a collection of fans who will never get behind the team without bumping their gums about something.

It's not a competition though is it, no matter what the holier than thou brigade would have you think. Money doesn't grow on trees and neither does my time.

I'm with you on this. I and a few others get it in the neck on the PT football thread and on 365 because we don't go to games every week. It's just ludicrous. I used to go when I could. Had a Wednesday season ticket for 2 years and a Manyoo season ticket with my mum for a year. Apparently moving 300 miles north is 'no excuse'. Watching games on telly makes your opinion on football less valid, so it seems.

I'm with you on this. I and a few others get it in the neck on the PT football thread and on 365 because we don't go to games every week. It's just ludicrous. I used to go when I could. Had a Wednesday season ticket for 2 years and a Manyoo season ticket with my mum for a year. Apparently moving 300 miles north is 'no excuse'. Watching games on telly makes your opinion on football less valid, so it seems.

On a similar note, I got called a "glory hunter" for being a Newcastle fan t'other day from some mong.

Glory hunter, Newcastle United... really?!

MacLean and O'Brien would do me.

Couldn't agree more, Jim O'Brien was phenomenal on Saturday, having torn us apart I doubt he would be too bothered about coming to Pittodrie for footballing reasons, it would simply fuel a move to the Championship.

And aye, sell Miller before it's too late, I dare say he' get a chance at Boro' too, Lita can't score for shit just now.

He's technically pretty good, but his workrate seems to vary proportionally depending on the opposition. I'm not upset to see him go........just hope we get a striker who can score in! I still think Mackie will come good with the right partner though.

Mackie has gone through a fair number of partners in the last ten years or so and has yet to come good. I cant help but feel the chances of it happening now are fairly remote.

As for Lee Miller, cant turn down that sort of cash when he'll leave anyway but there is no doubt he's a good player. I personally couldnt care less about his workrate/running. Most fans did the same with Stavrum - moaning about him being lazy etc. Oh what we'd give for a 17 a season striker now! Mackie is a perfect example that hard work/running is not all you want from a striker. Scoring goals is rather important and Lee Miller will do that in a good team.

Guest Gladstone
In my mind a target man shouldn't be hitting the deck at every opportunity, that is the role of a nippy striker trying to show how oafish and cumbersome a centre back is. A target man should be solid on his feet and in the air and an obvious target in the box at set pieces as an alternative to the big boys at the back (something that Miller isn't- incidentally how many goals has Miller scored with his head at Aberdeen? He wasn't exactly known for his headed goalscoring anywhere else).

Do you think Chris Sutton was a good target man at Celtic?

I think he was one of the best - he used to hit the deck all the time. That was the one thing about him that I didn't like to be honest. He was probably the best diver in the league at the time, because he used to do it all the time, but it was when he was backing into the defenders - he was very convincing and won us a shitload of free kicks around the box.

I'm not saying Lee Miller is anywhere near as good as Chris Sutton, but he is a target man, and a pretty good one at that.

I totally agree with Christy - Lee Miller is the best target man in the SPL in my opinion. He wins a massive amount of headers against big solid defenders, and he is strong and robust in his hold up play. He hits the deck to try and win free kicks, much in the same way as Chris Sutton used to - he's just not as convincing and ends up looking like a bit of a fanny some of the time. He's also got really good close control and good flick ons etc.

What he lacks a lot of the time is decent players round about him. A target man is useless without intelligent players running off him. Where Chris Sutton had Larsson, Petrov, Lubo etc. Miller has Mackie, Maguire, and Derek Young.

I think he'll do well at Boro if he goes.

I honestly hope Fyvie gets picked up by someone who could build his career a bit better and so that he's not subjected to a collection of fans who will never get behind the team without bumping their gums about something.

Absolute nonsense.

Every single football club in the world's fans bump their gums constantly.

Aberdeen fans are no worse than any others (judging by the amount of games and grounds i've visited in the last 20 years).

Celtic can't even fill their stadium this season. We may be very hit or miss at the moment, but we still get roughly the same crowds.

People pay their money and are entitled to moan at shite performances as well as be happy with great ones.

Guest Gladstone
Absolute nonsense.

Every single football club in the world's fans bump their gums constantly.

Aberdeen fans are no worse than any others (judging by the amount of games and grounds i've visited in the last 20 years).

Celtic can't even fill their stadium this season. We may be very hit or miss at the moment, but we still get roughly the same crowds.

People pay their money and are entitled to moan at shite performances as well as be happy with great ones.

We constantly claim to be the Greatest Fans in the World etc etc. but we're as fickle as the next lot, which has been shown this season with the lack of numbers. The recession probably has a lot to answer for for that, but I don't think season ticket sales are down that much, so there must be a lot of fans with season tickets who haven't been turning up all the time.

Anytime I've been there in the past few years, the moaning has been getting worse and worse. Under O'Neill when we used to win week in week out (and before that when we weren't used to getting everything we wanted) the atmosphere was almost always brilliant, and the moaning cunts were very much in the minority, but now we expect far too much.

I was at that game a few seasons ago when we beat Aberdeen 3-2, after the Dons went 2 up in the first 15 minutes - Bellamy scored a beauty of a volley to win the game.

The Aberdeen fans were incredible - bouncing for the entire 90 minutes, and outsung the Celtic fans for the whole game. I think travelling supports tend to be better - I've been in the away end at Pittodrie with the Celtic fans before, and we've outsung the whole of Pittodrie. Albeit we were spanking Aberdeen quite easily at the time ;)