aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Hmmm. Unless there is some knight on a white horse (and I'm not convinced there will be) nothing will be fixed, so I suppose he's without contract (even if it is rolling it's not exactly safe) making it easier for someone e.g Scotland to approach him. I await an announcement that actually means something is happening.

Scotland need fresh impetuous, not sure who, but someone enthusiastic and realistic!!

Precisely - Scotland could acquire Smith for nothing if he was interested.

Levein for me, though, if possible.

He's also a 69 year old man who hasn't had a job for five years. There's a reason that he's not taken a job since he left Preston. Would be a completely ludicrous appointment, in my opinion (although I do think he did a very good job the first time round).

But this is the thing - he has the experience that most of the other candidates don't have. Levein, Calderwood, Jefferies et al have never really managed at the highest level - in fact, apart from McLeish and Smith, do any of the other candidates apart from Calderwood have much/any in the way of experience of their teams playing foreign teams?

Everyone is talking up Walter Smith - but he's 61! Even Fergie is 67 and no-one's saying he's too old to manage Man Utd. Trapattoni is 70! Fair play - Broon is dull, but when you haven't qualified for anything in 10 years, surely it's worth considering someone boring that might just get you there?

There is a possibility of a non-Scot being approached for the job. What do folk think of that, or are you all still scarred from Berti Vogts' reign of terror?

As long as their better than George or Berti, I don't think anyone cares.

Unless it's that Beenhakker boy. Fuckin' Polish coming over here and stealing our jobs... :up:

Walter Smith gets my vote. Whilst his previous stint was a bit too shortlived, he did a good job last time. The players seemed to respect him (something Burley didn't have) and I the Rangers job was probably the only one that would have tempted him away last time and that wouldn't happen for a second time the state they are in just now.

Craig Levein is really proving his worth at Utd but my concern would be how long he'd stay in the job. He is still a young manager and while I think he'd be a success, I reckon he'd miss the day to day management of a club and would look to get back to that.

Jim Jefferies is a mystery to me. A steady enough club manager but he has lived off of a couple of decent seasons at Hearts about a decade ago. The two biggest "Why?!?" questions in football are the North Atlantic League and Jim Jefferies for Scotland. Really, just why?!

Guest Gladstone

I'm sure the SFA would much rather appoint Collins than Levein on the basis that no compensation package will be required for Collins.

I don't know if I'd be altogether happy with Collins being appointed. He seemed to be doing really well at Hibs then just walked away. He doesn't have a massive amount of experience, but nor do many of the names being mentioned. He's been pretty quick to walk away from jobs and can't see this being any different.

Of all the options I've heard, I'm swaying towards Walter Smith to come back in. He did walk away last time and I was very pissed off at him, but I think he would stick around this time given that Rangers are fucked, and David Murray won't be there trying to lure him back to Rangers.

Craig Brown mentioned above is lunacy in my opinion. Did a good job in terms of qualifying for tournaments, but he left the squad in a dire state, for Vogts to come in and then try every single Scottish person he ever met for the squad. Smith did a wonderful job in turning our fortunes around, and McLeish carried that forward. We were a very good team under these two, and some players were putting in very very good performances by the time McLeish left. It's just all gone to shit. I would trust Smith to sort out the mess again.

I don't know if Collins, Levein, Davies, et al. would do a good job, it's almost impossible to predict. I think any of them would be a bit of a gamble. Smith is tried and tested and now has some extra European experience under his belt after guiding a poor squad of players to a UEFA Cup final.