aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Collins would be another mental appointment. He likes to try and play nice, attractive football, but Walter Smith and Alex McLeish proved that Scotland perform best by sticking rigid and playing "anti-football". We don't have the players to make Collins' preferred system work. I dunno if he's got the tactical know-how to cope with that, though. Maybe he does.

Seems to have a bit of the Keegan about him; you can guarantee he'll throw his toys out of the pram and leg it as soon as the team hits a rough patch.

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

You know much as we mock JC, to those who don't follow the Dons and didn't have to sit thru some of the matches, his CV is actually quite impressive. Took a struggling aberdeen team to fourth in his first season, finished top 6 every year, qualified for Europe twice, got us into the last 32, took Dunfermiline to a cup final. It's only when you see things like 'signed Richie Byrne twice' that alarm bells start ringing.

Guest Gladstone

According to the wee bar scrolling across the top of the BBC Sport webiste, Walter Smith will not be the next Scotland manager.

It's going to be between Collins and Calderwood. Fuck it why don't we just appoint Colin Calderwood?

Guest Gladstone

I would certainly never let my country down' date=' even if in the short term there was a requirement.

But I don't want to appear as if I am touting for a job.[/quote']

Please do not let this happen, ever.

Guest Gladstone
Levein or Davies for me.......(or even Billy Stark!). But I would be sad if we go backwards by appointing Smith or Brown.

I'm not in the 'play safe' camp...I'd rather we played with a bit of passion, and tried to win. OK the players aren't great, but the worst seem to be our defenders at the moment.

I don't necessarily think it's down to the defenders - they've been brutally exposed of late. The centre pairing of McManus and Caldwell has looked shaky at best, for club and country, but I think a lot of that has to do with what is directly in front of them - more often than not, a big gaping hole.

I think this comes from a lack of the correct man protecting the defence, or sometimes no man to protect the defence. I know this is harking back to Vogts era, but remember the two legs against Holland? First leg, Dailly plays in front of the defence and plays the game of his life, doing absolutely everything correctly other than picking up a booking and being suspended for the away leg. Vogts doesn't know what to do and brings in Gavin Rae to replace him, but doesn't actually stick him in the hole, just leaves a gap for Kleivert (?) to exploit 6 times.

We haven't had a player that's brilliant at that job since Paul Lambert. No surprise that he was in the team that last qualified for a tournament. We've had a few that can do a job in there, Dailly, Hartley, Alexander even. Ferguson has always fancied himself as the new Paul Lambert, but he's far far better in an attacking role. Brown often gets put there because he's hard, but he doesn't have the composure for the role. Caldwell really fancies himself as a midfield maestro, but I think everyone agrees that that isn't the role for him... Fletcher is the man if you ask me. He's brilliant at getting in about the danger men (remember him against Viera in France?) and rumbling things up, but also at being in the right place at the right time when under threat and when the defence is looking for a simple outlet, much like Lambert was, and even more importantly he can pass a ball 10 yards, or mix it up and play a decent length accurate pass. He does it regularly for one of the best clubs in the world, but a succession of managers has deployed him in an attacking role. I'm going to keep going on about this until someone actually plays him in the correct position. He is not a flare player. He's a utility man, and a fucking excellent one at that.

Guest Gladstone
Fletcher should be the man, but he was crap (disinterested?) against Wales. We need a manager who can inspire (or scare!!) players like him.

I "unfortunately" missed the Wales match, but that's a very valid point. Fletcher has been utter shite in a lot of matches that I've seen recently (for Scotland).

A Man Utd regular should be the guy we can rely on, but he's not been performing anywhere near his club standard for his country.

Do you think Levein or Davies would get the best out of him? I'm not convinced that someone of that stature/experience would be able to scare the best out of Fletcher. Walter Smith would.

Guest Gladstone
I saw an interview with JC yesterday in the EE saying he would be interested in the job if the call came, but he has no intention of putting his name forward.

Yeah Jimmy, cos you are so in demand, you don't even have to apply for jobs.

Excuse me, that's my phone ringing again.