aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Another thing that confuses me about Scottish football is that we don't play to the strengths we have. We're not a nation blessed with talent but if we do have any shining lights we never use them. Faddy got thrown out wide on Saturday and subbed early on in the 2nd half. He's our main attacking threat and a match winner on his day so I would have thought our attacking strategy would be to get him through the middle with the intention of supplying him the ball and running at the defenders.

This isn't necessarily just a national team issue either. Kris Boyd is a prime example. His workrate is poor but he is a 30 a season striker and the best Scottish penalty box striker for a long time yet he struggles to hold down a first team place at Rangers and is often second to Kenny Miller. In times gone by he'd be the first name on the team sheet with the team playing to get the ball in the box for him to score off of. Instead, a natural goalscorer is sacrificed for a player who runs around a lot but controls the ball as far as I can kick it.

Ach, what do I care...I hate the huns I do.

Guest Gladstone
Another thing that confuses me about Scottish football is that we don't play to the strengths we have. We're not a nation blessed with talent but if we do have any shining lights we never use them. Faddy got thrown out wide on Saturday and subbed early on in the 2nd half. He's our main attacking threat and a match winner on his day so I would have thought our attacking strategy would be to get him through the middle with the intention of supplying him the ball and running at the defenders.

This isn't necessarily just a national team issue either. Kris Boyd is a prime example. His workrate is poor but he is a 30 a season striker and the best Scottish penalty box striker for a long time yet he struggles to hold down a first team place at Rangers and is often second to Kenny Miller. In times gone by he'd be the first name on the team sheet with the team playing to get the ball in the box for him to score off of. Instead, a natural goalscorer is sacrificed for a player who runs around a lot but controls the ball as far as I can kick it.

Ach, what do I care...I hate the huns I do.

We have a few really talented players (just a few mind you), who should be good enough to break down a lot of defences and get the ball into our natural goal scorer to stick the ball in the net. We never play to our strengths or a system that suits the players we have. We play a rigid 4-4-2 which restricts someone who is one of our best weapons (Alan Hutton) or a 4-5-1 which would be okay if we put the correct players in the correct positions and didn't play Kenny Miller as a lone striker. If you're playing a defensive formation, what you need from your lone frontman are two key attributes. The ability to control and hold up the ball. And the ability to take any half chance that comes your way. Now I may be being anti-hun player here, but I don't think he has either of those attributes.

For what it's worth, this is my take on the current pool of players available to us.

Kris Boyd is an out and out goalscorer. Lazy bastard, but a penalty box striker who will get us goals. He should play all the time. And the aim of the game - get the ball to him, in the box, let him do the rest.

We should have a target-ish man alongside Boyd, who can win the ball in the air, flick it on, take it in etc. And be a decent enough player as well. But mainly, he should be a foil for Boyd. I'm not talking about a headless chicken who will do all the running, but someone with the ability to get the ball down and get it into Boyd. Step forward Lee Miller. He's been a bit shite so far this season. But he's the best target man in the SPL. Either Lee Miller or Iwelumo. I don't know much about Iwelumo but he's a big fucker and looks a decent enough player when I've seen him. Whether or not he can get over that miss, who knows.

We have some bright sparks in midfield. The main man of course being McFadden. McFadden is far and away our most talented player. This is a man that can play out wide mainly on the left, but I would play him right through the middle at the front of a 5 man midfield. He doesn't have to quite the same level of work and tracking back as the rest of the midfield, but he will put a shift in if you ask him to. But, he's an attacking player and as such, you want the majority of his energy used up going forward and running at defenders. He's a nightmare to defend against because of his unpredictability, hence playing him through the middle and giving him a licence to roam.

Out wide is a bit of a dilemma, but I'd put Hutton on the right as a wing back. He's a good solid defender but his best attribute is his pace and ability to stick the ball in the box.

On the left. I'm struggling a bit. Danny Fox keeps springing to mind, but I'm sure we must have better than him. Open to suggestions...

In the middle - Fletcher and Brown. Fletcher plays his role at Man Utd brilliantly. That role being a utility man. Getting in players' faces, winning the ball, and distributing it out wide, and generally not losing the ball. But when he plays for Scotland he almost always gets played in an attacking role. The thought process probably being "he plays for Man Utd, he must be our best player. He'll be wasted in a defensive role" which is a very flawed way of thinking. If it's good enough for Man Utd, it's good enough for Scotland. And Brown - despite his obvious flaws, he's an absolute engine in the middle of the park, and in this system, I think he'd flourish. He gets caught out a lot when he plays in a 4 man midfield. Possibly bringing back Ferguson wouldn't be that terrible an idea - in the place of Brown. He is a good player. Not as good as he's hyped up to be, mind you. And I would never make him captain again.

At the back, we're obviously shaping up for a 3 at the back with cover from 2 wingbacks. Berra is an obvious choice, and well, we're probably lacking a bit in there. McManus and Caldwell are good, but they've been woeful this season. Maybe that 3 would be decent. Is Anderson injured yet again? It's a pity that 2 of our best centrebacks in the past 10 years have been plagued with injury (Kennedy and Anderson). Andy Webster's another one that I've heard mentioned. He certainly looked good before his injury, but haven't seen him for a while. What about that giant Wilkie? How's he been getting on of late?

And in goals. I don't know if McGregor will ever be handed an invite to return, but he's certainly our best keeper. Langfield and Marshall are both good, but I think McGregor would get my nod. Saying that, I'd be happy for him not to play again after his antics, same with Ferguson mentioned above.

And in goals. I don't know if McGregor will ever be handed an invite to return, but he's certainly our best keeper. Langfield and Marshall are both good, but I think McGregor would get my nod. Saying that, I'd be happy for him not to play again after his antics, same with Ferguson mentioned above.

Are you forgetting about Craig Gordon or dropping him from the squad?!

Guest Gladstone
Are you forgetting about Craig Gordon or dropping him from the squad?!

Jesus Christ.

That's why I'm not Scotland manager.

Craig Gordon was missing a while ago and we had to go into the reserves and it seems I've just completely forgotten about him!

Craig Gordon is number 1 every time.

On that basis, I wouldn't bother ever recalling McGregor.

Actually, I think I should be the new Scotland boss with Shaki as my assistant to remind me when my forgetfullness gets the better of me...

Guest Gladstone

BBC SPORT | Scotland | Even Wenger couldn't improve Scots - Souness

I can't actually listen to this at work, but the title suggests that Souness is going back to the "our players are not good enough spin".

I fucking hate this misconception. Yes, we are not the best squad of players in the world. But we can draw upon players who play top level football (EPL / SPL) and the Championship, which is not a terrible league.

Taylor was spinning this line in the papers when Vogts was cocking everything up for us, saying things like it's the worst set of players we've ever had, and he can only do so much with what he's got etc. Fuck. Right. Off.

That won't really do any good now will it? The head of the SFA telling the national press that our players are all garbage, especially when they clearly weren't all that bad. Smith took on the same group of players and made them difficult to beat, and they started winning games, and McLeish brought them on further and made them a decent team. 13th in the world at one point. Then backwards we go under Burley with only a few changes here and there. The resources are there for this team to have came second in that group. Norway humped us 4-0. 4 fucking 0. Norway have a few decent players, and are a decent team, but we should have had enough to beat them at home, and at the very worst, not get humped by them away. I'd have hoped for at least a draw, and under McLeish we would have a very good chance of that.

Guest Gladstone
So to summarise:

Gordon

Hutton - Caldwell - McManus - Berra - Fox

Fletcher - Brown

McFadden

Boyd - L.Miller

?

Yup, that would do for me.

McNaughton mentioned above for left wing back - would be equally happy with that. The less of the Celtic defence the better really. Webster in for McManus may be a decent shout, but McManus does have a lot of big match experience.

Admittedly haven't seen an awful lot of Aberdeen this season, but I've heard Miller's been pretty gash. If Calderwood is appointed, he can maybe start getting the best out of him for Scotland...

Actually, I think I should be the new Scotland boss with Shaki as my assistant to remind me when my forgetfullness gets the better of me...

Not many people know this but Shaki used to be Angus the Bull, all of a sudden a man dressed as a cow seems a better option as manager after Saturday's display!

Back to footballing matters, I'd actually go with McManus if he was paired with someone else at the back. He hasn't been too good of late but there really isn't many more players to turn to at centre half so I reckon him and Berra would be my first choice at the back. I reckon Kyle may be worth watching for more appearances. He was shite under Vogts but seems to have his career going in the right direction. Not a bad target man and he is scoring plenty of goals just now. Him and Faddy may complement each other up front.

Guest Gladstone
Not many people know this but Shaki used to be Angus the Bull, all of a sudden a man dressed as a cow seems a better option as manager after Saturday's display!

Back to footballing matters, I'd actually go with McManus if he was paired with someone else at the back. He hasn't been too good of late but there really isn't many more players to turn to at centre half so I reckon him and Berra would be my first choice at the back. I reckon Kyle may be worth watching for more appearances. He was shite under Vogts but seems to have his career going in the right direction. Not a bad target man and he is scoring plenty of goals just now. Him and Faddy may complement each other up front.

Even better. I'll be Scotland boss, and my assistant can just be Angus the Bull, in full cow outfit. He can gee the crowd up when they start inevitably booing at Lee Miller...

My cover is blown! To say I used to be Angus the Bull is stretching the truth a bit - I was second reserve Angus for a while! I did 3 matches and was the main bull for non-football events for a while when I worked there. my finest moment on the hallowed turf was as one off character Crackers the Parrot though. I think that's even on my CV.

I am a forgotten man around Pittodrie these days - haven't been called up for years. Thinking of setting up a charity for fellow ex-mascots on the scrap heap.....

My cover is blown! To say I used to be Angus the Bull is stretching the truth a bit - I was second reserve Angus for a while! I did 3 matches and was the main bull for non-football events for a while when I worked there. my finest moment on the hallowed turf was as one off character Crackers the Parrot though. I think that's even on my CV.

I am a forgotten man around Pittodrie these days - haven't been called up for years. Thinking of setting up a charity for fellow ex-mascots on the scrap heap.....

Was a guy called Ronnie Middleton Angus when you were there? He was a teacher at my school and rumoured to be Angus. Good bloke. Sadly he died of cancer a few years back. :(

Best include aberdeen-music - View Profile: drahcirv1

IIRC he was Wee Alickie down Pittodrie way at one time...

is it me or is there just a little bit of over reaction to a defeat in a meaningless friendly against wales?

I think it's the manner of the defeat coupled with the continuation of a number of things that were obviously wrong in the last qualifying campaign.

There has been no progress in the two friendlies since we failed to qualify and no sign that the next campaign is going to be any different.

This was the time to start ringing the changes in the squad and build for the Euro campaign to come, but Burley has absolutely failed to do that.

Guest Gladstone
is it me or is there just a little bit of over reaction to a defeat in a meaningless friendly against wales?

It's not just the friendly against Wales though.

Burley's been in charge of 14 games and won only 3 and lost 8. That is very poor, especially given some of our opponents.

Croatia (H) 11

Czech Republic (A) 13

Northern Ireland (H) 00

Macedonia (A) 01

Iceland (A) 21

Norway (H) 00

Argentina (H) 01

Netherlands (A) 03

Iceland (H) 21

Norway (H) 04

Macedonia (H) 20

Netherlands (H) 01

Japan (A) 02

Wales (A) 03

The only "acceptable" results in there would be the draw with Croatia, and victories home and away against Iceland, and home against Macedonia. No disaster getting beat by Czech Republic or Netherlands or Argentina either.

But I'd say the rest of the results are at the best disappointing, and getting humped by Wales and Norway is shocking. Getting beat by Macedonia is shite (though those kind of teams are tricky away from home, admittedly). Drawing at home to Norway and Northern Ireland is also quite shite. Add to all the results, just how poorly we've played, and there never seems to be any plan whatsoever on the pitch. Burley's obviously not the right man for the job. I don't know who is (well it's McLeish, but they let that one slip away), but there have got be better candidates out there.