aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

The article recalls when something similar called for a replay in 2005, so there is a slight possibility, but I imagine because it's a big side against a little side where the big side were victorious, and also because the big side is France, it probably won't happen. I can't really say whether or not I think it should happen morally, because I am on the fence, but I would like to see it, and to see Ireland trounce them, with Robbie Keane netting 3 and even O'Shea bagging a cheaky header, whilst Dunne elbows Henry right in the gnashers, for kicks.

Of course they won't.

Yeah, it was a bad decision and un-sportsmanlike conduct from Henry, but if you allow/force the match to be replayed on the basis that the referee didn't pick it up during the game then it sets a very dangerous prescedent.

What would have happened if Ireland had scored afterwards and gone through? The Henry incident would've been overlooked amid the celebration. You cannot punish an incident based on the final outcome of the match - from a regulatory body's point of view the incident must be looked at on it's own.

I disagree with your last point. If an incident like last night's has no bearing on the outcome of the match (say for example France were already 4-0 up) then a slap on the wrist is probably sufficient punishment. However what happened last night has meant that a team is now going to miss the chance to play in the biggest football competition in the world, a chance many of those players may never get again, and a team who don't deserve to be there are there in their place. That in my opinion should be reason enough to force a replay, perhaps even a ban for Henry for his dishonesty. I think the outcome of the match should be the most important thing to take into consideration in these situation.

I think the outcome of the match should be the most important thing to take into consideration in these situation.

I see what you're saying, but say the Dons are playing Rangers in a league cup semi final.

Zander Diamond commits a vicious foul on Nacho Novo (breaking his leg, incidentally which later causes him to quit the game and divorce his wife because she can't take the beatings anymore). An obvious red card offence - the referee takes no action.

Rangers have used all their substitutes and as a result down to ten men. Rangers are stretched due to the lack of players on the field, Aluko nips through in the 89th minute and gets hauled down by David Weir, last man, red card. Rangers down to ten men. Mulgrew scores the resulting free kick, Aberdeen hold on and win 1-0.

It could be argued that the line of causation is from Zander's challenge. That said, do Rangers have a case that it was the referee's fault for not sending Diamond off that caused them to lose the game? And therefore should it be replayed?

Perhaps a poor example, but I'm supposed to be working...I'm trying to highlight the problems of not looking at incidents seperately, not comparing this to last night.

Guest Gladstone

Who was it that replayed an FA Cup (or maybe League Cup) match in England for not passing the ball back after it was knocked out for a throw in? I seem to remember it was Arsenal. Was Henry involved with that?

He's a right bastard (if he was).

I see what you're saying, but say the Dons are playing Rangers in a league cup semi final.

Zander Diamond commits a vicious foul on Nacho Novo (breaking his leg, incidentally which later causes him to quit the game and divorce his wife because she can't take the beatings anymore). An obvious red card offence - the referee takes no action.

Rangers have used all their substitutes and as a result down to ten men. Rangers are stretched due to the lack of players on the field, Aluko nips through in the 89th minute and gets hauled down by David Weir, last man, red card. Rangers down to ten men. Mulgrew scores the resulting free kick, Aberdeen hold on and win 1-0.

It could be argued that the line of causation is from Zander's challenge. That said, do Rangers have a case that it was the referee's fault for not sending Diamond off that caused them to lose the game? And therefore should it be replayed?

Perhaps a poor example, but I'm supposed to be working...I'm trying to highlight the problems of not looking at incidents seperately, not comparing this to last night.

So, Rangers lost in the end...

What's the problem then?

I'm just curious, if this had happened to Engerlurnd, would todays Football thread posts still be "Refs! Henry! Blatter! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!" or would it be a Photoshop contest and a vicious flurry of LOL's?

I'm pretty sure the Daily Tabloid would've printed the Ref's home address/telephone number/email by now... like they did the last time they thought Engerland wuz robbd.

I'm just curious, if this had happened to Engerlurnd, would todays Football thread posts still be "Refs! Henry! Blatter! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!" or would it be a Photoshop contest and a vicious flurry of LOL's?

As far as i'm concerned, i'd have the same level of outrage. But then again i'm not one of these militant anti-english types. Even if it was the other way round and Ireland went through when they didn't deserve to, i'd have a moan.

I don't think any blame should fall on Henry though. Any player would have done the same in not owning up. Although, if he had said to the ref 'yeh the goal shouldn't stand' he would instantly have gone down in football legend history. Missed an opportunity to be forever known as one of the world's greats there Terry!

I always find the England Scotland rivalry quite interesting. We actually don't mind you lot at all, but you really hate us. Can't we all just get along?

From the looks of it, most home nation football supporters are behind the Oirish on this one though. Probably because it's DIRTY FRANCE. It's possibly the only time all the home nations, and perhaps even the world over, comes together in unison to gang up on one country. Domenech is fucking mental. He's like what Rafa Benitez is going to be like in about 4 or 5 years.

As far as i'm concerned, i'd have the same level of outrage. But then again i'm not one of these militant anti-english types. Even if it was the other way round and Ireland went through when they didn't deserve to, i'd have a moan.

I don't think any blame should fall on Henry though. Any player would have done the same in not owning up. Although, if he had said to the ref 'yeh the goal shouldn't stand' he would instantly have gone down in football legend history. Missed an opportunity to be forever known as one of the world's greats there Terry!

He'd be a legend to everyone but his manager, team mates and supporters. You don't want fair play and sportsmanship from your own players. Just the oppositions players. If your team scores an unjustified, unfair goal, it's a fantastic goal. If the opposition do it, FUCKING BASTARD JUDAS CHEAT CUNTS.

Football is mint.

He'd be a legend to everyone but his manager, team mates and supporters. You don't want fair play and sportsmanship from your own players. Just the oppositions players. If your team scores an unjustified, unfair goal, it's a fantastic goal. If the opposition do it, FUCKING BASTARD JUDAS CHEAT CUNTS.

Football is mint.

Nah, there's an air of embarrasment in the French media today. It's really weird. The french public really don't give a fuck about the national team either at the moment. They enjoy the drama that goes along with their inevitably faultering qualification campaigns but there's nowhere near the same level of support as there is for most other countries. When more and more African players started suddenly switching nationalities to French when they realised they could get into the squad a lot of the older generations gave up following and they've never managed to recapture that 98 world cup spirit. A bit BNP but that's just the way it is.

I know more frogs who were pulling for Ireland last night than were supporting France. They'd rather have lost and therefore had an excuse to get rid of Domenech and start all over than have won in that manner. I know a lot of dedicated lille/lens supporters who are staunchly patriotic and even they were saying it was a joke/fix.

Its for the greater good if he stays. If he got the sack, his bird Estelle Denis who presents the main football show on TV would quit and nobody wants that coz she's smoking hot. And knows her football. Like a Harrod's Helen Chamberlain.

art_large_425221.jpg

I had to go to French Wikipedia (Le Wikipidie) and paste some text into Babelfish to confirm that that is Domenech's bird.

Enlevez votre chapeau pour Monsieur Domenech.