aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

The rules of Headers and Volleys (legally binding laws of the game, with the authority of overriding any FA decision) always suggested that a half volley was like a dropkick, and touched the ground for a fraction of a second before being wellied, with a 900% chance of sailing over the bar.

Half volleys caused a world of arguments at school, and if the bounce was considering too lengthy, then you'd waste the end of playtime having a right good barney about it.

Defoe is a seriously clinical finisher of the ball and Spurs' midfield is as creative as any of the "top 4", but they put in a fairly ordinary performance. Wigan were absolutely atrocious at the back. It often looked like that last game of the Serie A where Ibrahimovic was still a little bit drunk, and was wobbling about. That through ball where two defenders came to meet it and it went through both was embarassing Tom and Jerry stuff. Seriously bad. I lost count of the schoolboy clearances and laughable miss-kicks that just rolled to a Spurs player. How on earth they did beat convincingly beat Chelsea?

Still, it's quite strange that Kirkland conceded 9 and still had a reasonable game for the most part. Made some top saves, and stopped it from being 20-1, considering the amount of efforts Spurs had in the first half. Palacios' shot that curled away from Kirkland in the first half forced an immense save. He didn't even parry it. Incredible catch.

Guest idol_wild
I know I have one Spurs striker in my fantasy football team. I really hope it's Defoe. I fear it may be Crouch.

EDIT

Fuck. I never did this.

That is a fucking epic Fantasy Football Fail. I took out the injured Lampard and Van Persie and put in Bullard and Hesselink for a double Hull game week - both games at KC, too, so I figured I'd also make one of these players my captain.

I chose Hesselink.

Bullard scored two and picked up the bonus performance.

Titsticks.

I went for robbie keane instead of Defoe thinking he'd be well up for taking his anger out on Wigan. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Preston v Newcastle on the telly tonight, hope that new French lad plays - my sources down there say he looked ace for the reserves last week.

Likely to be on the bench tonight according to a few lads on our forum, but nobody seems to know if his registration's gone through yet :p.

Potentially tough game tonight - I have a lot of time for Preston and Alan Irvine, who's done a grand job down there. I always fancy us to win in this league and tonight's no different, but it won't be anything more than a 1-0 I don't think, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we didn't pick up the points. Just as long as Hughton doesn't start Marlon fucking Harewood. Gotta be Carroll on his own with Nolan in the hole, or Ranger and Carroll. Nowt else.

HTL. Been too long since our last game, let's stick it up them.

That Jonas fella is like Newcastle's very own Nani.

Go on, cross it. No? Okay, cross it now? Okay, you didn't cross it. You could cross it now, but they've got everyone back now. Just lob it in anyway, you plum. Oh, another Cruyff-Turn. Not a cross, but that's okay, you've still got the ball, but you're trapped in a triangle of Preston players. Bang it off one of their legs for a corner. Or you could try and take on 3 players... and you're on your arse.

Repeat times a million.

This made me chuckle, someone revised a bit of Thierry Henry's Wikipedia page, thanks to Mr Stephen Fry for posting the link via twitter. it's probably been taken down now so shall just copied the funny bit!

Thierry Le Cunt Henry (French pronunciation: [tj??i ????i]; born 17 August 1977) is a French cunt footballer who plays for Spanish La Liga club Barcelona and the cunting French national team, predominantly as a cunt.

Henry was born a cunt and remains a cunt, Essonnea suburb of Pariswhere he played for an array of local sides as a cunt and showed great promise as a cunt. He was spotted by AS Monaco in 1990 and signed instantly, making his professional debut in 1994. Good form led to an international call-up in 1998, after which he signed for the Serie A defending champions Juventus. He had a disappointing season playing on the wing, before joining Arsenal for 10.5 million in 1999; the cunt.

It was at Arsenal that Henry made his name as a cunt. Despite initially struggling in the Premier League, he emerged as Arsenal's top cunt for almost every season of his tenure there. Under long-time mentor and coach Arsne Wenger, Henry became a prolific cunt and Arsenal's all-time leading cunt with 226 goals in all competitions. The cunt won two league titles and three FA Cups with the Gunners; he was twice nominated for the FIFA World Cunt of the Year, was named the PFA Players' Cunt of the Year twice, and the Football Writers' Association Cunt of the Cunts three times. Henry spent his final two seasons with Arsenal as club captain, leading them to the UEFA Champions League final in 2006. In June 2007, after eight years with Arsenal, he transferred to Barcelona for a fee of 24 million. His first honours with the Catalan club came in 200809 when they won the league, cup and Champions League treble; the cunt.

Henry has enjoyed similar success with the French national squad, having won the 1998 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2000. In October 2007, he surpassed Michel Platini's record to become France's top cunt of all time. Off the pitch, as a result of his own experience, Henry is an active cunt against decency and fairness and honour. His footballing style and personality have ensured that he is one of the most commercially marketable cunts in the world; he has been featured in advertisements for Nike, Reebok, Renault, Pepsi and Gillette.

• Upvote 1

Russel Anderson managed 45 minutes for Sunderland reserves, that is his first game this season since picking up the knee injury in pre-season.

Did he do his knee in again? Last I heard he had busted his knee playing for Burnley last year and had thought he had just dropped completely out of favour at Sunderland after returning. Hadn't heard that he had done it again though, really hope he gets his chance in the Premiership.

Did he do his knee in again? Last I heard he had busted his knee playing for Burnley last year and had thought he had just dropped completely out of favour at Sunderland after returning. Hadn't heard that he had done it again though, really hope he gets his chance in the Premiership.

Can't see it sadly.

I think he's out of contract at the end of the season too.

its cold, wet and miserable here in east anglia today and I have to endure a trip to the abbey stadium to watch united take on rubbish and dustbins... sorry rushden and diamonds. hope i dont get too wet when i'm flogging programmes! should be a good game between two well-matched sides, a score draw i reckon.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Just read the Huns are contemplating two up front in Europe.

Surely Walter Smith will break out in a cold sweat at the thought 5 minutes before kick off and change his mind, and put his best goal scorer on the bench, and play Kenny Miller up front himself...?

I saw in the paper last week that former Aberdeen wonderkid Andy Bagshaw has signed for Formartine in the Highland League. Surprised he's had to take that much of a drop down the leagues, he was really highly rated for a while. The most surprising parrt of the story is that he'll be playing alongside Jamie Winter and Phil McGuire. OK Winter was never up to much but McGuire was immense for us at times, I can't believe he can't find a club in the football leagues.

Guest Gladstone
I saw in the paper last week that former Aberdeen wonderkid Andy Bagshaw has signed for Formartine in the Highland League. Surprised he's had to take that much of a drop down the leagues, he was really highly rated for a while. The most surprising parrt of the story is that he'll be playing alongside Jamie Winter and Phil McGuire. OK Winter was never up to much but McGuire was immense for us at times, I can't believe he can't find a club in the football leagues.

How old is McGuire these days? Possibly getting on a bit. Seem to remember he was late 20s when he left the Dons and that seems like a very long time ago?