aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Craig Levein would do nicely for me. I think Walter Smith would do a good job again, too. I want to say "fuck off ya prick" out of principle after the way he left last time, but he knows the squad reasonably well and he'd know how to build a hard-working team that's hard to break down with the resources available to him. Also, it'd probably get Kris Boyd back in the squad.

Jeffries and Calderwood can fuck off for a start.

Scotland needs someone experienced at the highest level who knows when to play it safe and when they can go for it - the kind of manager who grinds out ugly 1-0 wins away and makes sure to beat the diddy teams at home.

I give you a proposal - bring back Craig Brown. He's got the experience at the highest level, he's an integral part of the 'Largs Mafia' and will keep the SFA happy in that way - and he's capable of getting Scotland in a position to qualify. Let's not forget that he took Scotland into Euro 96, France 98 and very nearly into Euro 2000!

Jim Jefferies, Craig Levein or any of the other 'managed their way round the SPL' managers would be a disaster - Calderwood would be the exception, but only because he actually spent time on the continent and actually has an idea about playing difficult away games. And no matter what you think of him, he is actually capable of getting reuslts with rubbish teams.

Either that, or get in someone with real passion like McCoist or Hughes - Levein would be boring as tears as a manager!

I give you a proposal - bring back Craig Brown. He's got the experience at the highest level, he's an integral part of the 'Largs Mafia' and will keep the SFA happy in that way - and he's capable of getting Scotland in a position to qualify. Let's not forget that he took Scotland into Euro 96, France 98 and very nearly into Euro 2000!

He's also a 69 year old man who hasn't had a job for five years. There's a reason that he's not taken a job since he left Preston. Would be a completely ludicrous appointment, in my opinion (although I do think he did a very good job the first time round).

Was watching North Tonight earlier and they had JC in the frame, at which point I had to laugh and shout No! at the TV. Why is that no matter how shit they are, managers without jobs are automatically in the running for jobs way above them? Come on media, think about it. You might as well add me to the unemployed managers list you've got pinned to the sports office wall.

Anyway, I think it'll be Walter Smith, or I hope it will be. He's on a rolling contract, or will be come January I think, so compo won't be a problem. The fact that the bank will be selling players left, right and centre come January and the summer probably doesn't fill Walter with much ambition about the huns future either.

Just because Vogts was shit does that automatically mean a foreign coach would be a disaster? Trapattoni has been a relative success for Ireland although I assume we couldn't afford someone of his stature? If everyone in Scotland donated a couple of quid we could maybe be a bit more ambitious than looking at the current SPL managers and out of work ex internationals. Failing that, Dougie Donnelly with a backroom staff of Pat Nevin, Billy Dodds and Chic Young would get my vote.

Dear Lord! Clyde, this proposal is rejected henceforth. That shopit little runt is the reason I lost interest in Scotland and have yet to regain it. Sticking with his ageing yes-men, he proceeded to bore the utter bejesus out of everything then hide behind meaningless statistics. A man so utterly devoid of personality or charisma he made Father Stone look positively manic.

Craig Levein would be a good shout, and another chance to tease Alkaline. ;)

:up:

Craig Levein would be a good shout, and another chance to tease Alkaline. ;)

:up:

Haha, i would be a little upset if Levein ended up Scotland manager however i will concede that he is probably one of the better Scottish managers that may be considered for the job. I do, however, think it is unlikely that he would take the job and that he would be high on the current SFA backroom guys lists.

Walter Smith is the most likely candidate if he can be persuaded that club football down south is not his best option. He would probably be the best man for the job realistically.

Souness, Calderwood, Jeffries and many of the other candidates being considered are just not good enough.

A Father/Son combo of Darren Ferguson as Manager and Alex Ferguson as a Technical adviser would be a good combination but one that Alex Ferguson wouldn't consider for a minute and where Darren Ferguson just wouldn't be be good enough on his own yet.

David Moyes would be my personal choice if i could have any Scottish manager, but there is absolutely no way he would leave Everton to take it on. It would be a decent gamble to offer him a Part-time option just to give him a taste of it though...

He won't have a contract come January.

Alasdair Johnston said just the other day that both the Rangers board and management team have an agreement that post-January, Smith, McCoist and McDowell will stay on without a contract (therefore 'rolling' their current one) until the 'troubles' at Rangers are sorted (read 'until the new owner decides they want Paul Le Guen mark II').

Alasdair Johnston said just the other day that both the Rangers board and management team have an agreement that post-January, Smith, McCoist and McDowell will stay on without a contract (therefore 'rolling' their current one) until the 'troubles' at Rangers are sorted (read 'until the new owner decides they want Paul Le Guen mark II').

Hmmm. Unless there is some knight on a white horse (and I'm not convinced there will be) nothing will be fixed, so I suppose he's without contract (even if it is rolling it's not exactly safe) making it easier for someone e.g Scotland to approach him. I await an announcement that actually means something is happening.

Scotland need fresh impetuous, not sure who, but someone enthusiastic and realistic!!