aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

"Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee plans to run the rule over Rohan Ricketts and Craig Rocastle in Sunday's Dean Windass testimonial at Hull."

McGhee to run the rule over duo | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Trialists I've actually heard of! Tho Ricketts has as worse record than Mackie. "Ricketts spent last season in the MLS with Toronto, scoring four goals in 39 appearances, but the 26-year-old was released and has returned to the UK."

We had Rocastle on trial last pre-season, didn't even last until the first friendly before Gus dumped him. Wasn't deemed good enough for Hibs either, and if memory serves I think he also had a spell on trial at ICT? Wouldn't hold out much hope for him.

Ricketts might be an alright shout tho, pretty nippy and has a reasonable pedigree.

Are you an Aberdeen fan?

Yep, but I was always 100% behind Calderwood. He was responsible for some stupid mistakes, but he was steady and reliable - and had a decent knowledge of the European market. He also took a complete rubbish Aberdeen side into 3rd place last season.

Is there really any excuse for Aberdeen to lose 8-1 on aggregate to a team that finished 4th in the Czech league? McGhee likes his attacking football, but Aberdeen simply isn't suited for that type of football nowadays.

I'll take dull performances that get us 3rd place finishes and semi finals of cups over a disaster any day of the week.

Yep, but I was always 100% behind Calderwood. He was responsible for some stupid mistakes, but he was steady and reliable - and had a decent knowledge of the European market. He also took a complete rubbish Aberdeen side into 3rd place last season.

What? Best mates with Jaap Stam?

Let's be serious. His 'decent knowledge' of the European market consisted of a steady stream of Dutch trialist - of which he made a handful of signings, and of which he rarely played (Touzani, de Visscher, Bus).

How many Dons games did you watch in full while Calderwood was in charge? When he did play a simple formation it always revolved around getting men behind the ball, stopping the other team from playing and lumping it up to Lee Miller (or Craig Brewster, or Stevie Crawford) to win headers.

I'm not saying he did a bad job, he steadied a ship that was wobbling to fuck. But when you're paying money to go and be entertained, that was much lacking from Calderwood's reign.

It must also be noted that he signed an array of shite, and was responsible for the extension of certain players' contracts that need not have been extended (I will not name names, because everyone is aware of who they are), and allowed players to leave that should not have been let go.

In short, he has left us in a pretty dire situation, which is why I'm happy to allow Mark McGhee a season without criticism as he tries to salvage what he can from the squad that he's been left with.

Summary: Jaap Stam, Calderwood, Dutch trialists, shite.

Got this email from a hun but I thought it was funny

Aberdeen Football Club today lost out in the chase to sign ex-Cardiff City goalkeeper, Michael Oakes.

Oakes, 35, has been without a club since he was released by the Welsh club at the end of the 2008 season.

Although there were no other clubs interested in signing the veteran goalkeeper, it's believed that Oakes was eligible for government assistance, and decided to remain unemployed rather than sign for the Dons.

Aberdeen manager, Mark McGhee, remained philosophical, despite losing out on his third target in as many weeks.

"Obviously it was disappointing to lose out on Oakes," said McGhee, "But it's hard for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the sort of wages that unemployment offers. Personally I think it's crazy money, and we offered Oakes what I think was a very competitive package. Unfortunately the lure of the English pound, and a steady diet of rejected supermarket produce is something we can't realistically compete with."

The failure to sign Oakes comes hard on the heels of two other failures in the transfer market for Aberdeen .

Previously the Dons had failed to sign ex-Crew Alexander player Ryan Lynch, who found work as the guy who collects the baskets at Asda shortly after Aberdeen offered him a contract.

This was followed by the failure to sign experienced striker Michael Branch. The Dons were believed to be on the verge of signing the ex Halifax forward until he gassed himself in his own garage in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The day he was to be unveiled in front of the Evening Express photographer at Pittodrie.

"Obviously it's difficult for us to compete with the opportunity to kill yourself rather than sign for Aberdeen Football Club." Said McGhee. "But we still have options. Still have irons in the fire. The money's there to strengthen the team, assuming by 'strengthen' we actually mean 'not strengthen'."

The Dons boss hinted that he was not finished in the transfer market this year, saying, "There's a couple of lads we've been running the rule over for the last 6 years, and we're probably about ready to make a move for them.. One of them is a Scottish international, so we may have problems putting together a financial package that he finds attractive."

According to some sources the international in question is Denis Law, a prolific striker who has been without a club since retiring from the game in 1974. It is believed that Aberdeen face stiff competition for the veteran forward's signature. Law, 97, is understood to also be considering smashing his own puss in with a toffee hammer.

"Obviously it's difficult for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the prospect of smashing your own puss in with a toffee hammer," explained the Dons boss. "Particularly now we've lost the TV money and the revenue from fiddling Jamie Smith's health insurance."

Correction - the season starts tonight. Woooo! C'mon Boro!

Looks like Alves is off to the Middle East for a small fraction of what we paid for him, oh well, we've got Leroy Lita now so that's a more than fair swap. For some reason Tuncay hasn't left yet, he was awesome last season so I can't understand why no one wants him - don't think he'll be starting tonight though since he didn't feature at all in pre-season. Shame Paddy Kenny isn't playing, it was his stellar own goal that got us a win against them in the FA Cup last year, albeit in extra time of the replay.

Anticipation is high, confidence is high, the only way is down, hurray.

Forgot you boys were playing tonight.

As a Newcastle fan I've never had a problem with the Smogs, probably because your fans aren't completely obsessed with us like the Mackems =P. You'll have a much better season than we will; your squad actually looks pretty decent with the likes of Johnson and Tuncay still on-board (although I'm guessing he'll be offski at some point?). Lita is a quality signing for this level, too.

Heh, saw that piss-take article on another forum earlier

"Obviously it's difficult for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the prospect of smashing your own puss in with a toffee hammer,"

Immense.

Agree with Adam above too, whether the boo-boys will be prepared to give McGhee any time whatsoever though...I bet some of them will be calling for his head if we get spanked by Celtic.

Going to be an, erm, interesting season anyway.

Still, as always: Come On You Reds.

Nae too confident on a win tomorrow v. Dunfermline. We're missing Rooney and Rossco, who have been our best players in pre-season. Also missing Barrowman and Odhiambo, leaving us with only a half fit Rooney, an impressive but lightweight Sanchez and an overweight but prolific youth player as our only strike force.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. One thing is for sure... we don't have the firepower to score more than one goal in this game.

If at least one of our trialists plays, we stand a chance of winning tomorrow. One picked up a knock against Rangers (Jonathan Smith - yes, the ex-Dandy), another is "unfit" (Zander Sutherland) and the third (Marco Andreoni) is pish.

Bet Andreoni plays :(

I was mega excited about Zander Sutherland when he burst onto the scene at ICT a few years ago. Real tricky winger with bags of skill. Great crosser of the ball and extremely dangerous when running at the defence.

But spoke to one of his relatives shortly after that who said that he had a really lazy attitude to training, often turning up late or hungover. Even after his year at Elgin, the lazy attitude remained so was punted as soon as his contract was up.

Wasted talent.

Toon game is live on BBC1 tomorrow afternoon :up:.

I'm actually really looking forward to some football, just to put the horrendous off-field situation to the back of the mind for 90 minutes. I like to go into all of our games optimistic, so fuck it, we're gonna beat West Brom. Guthrie's out which is a shame, and Butt's injured too (which isn't a shame ;)), but other than that the squad looks okay. Back four picks itself with Raylor, Saylor, Colo and Enrique. Jonas, Bartin, Smith and Duff across the middle, Nolan in the hole (WHY!?) and Big Andy up front.

Fuckin' 12-0. Nailed-on.

I was mega excited about Zander Sutherland when he burst onto the scene at ICT a few years ago. Real tricky winger with bags of skill. Great crosser of the ball and extremely dangerous when running at the defence.

But spoke to one of his relatives shortly after that who said that he had a really lazy attitude to training, often turning up late or hungover. Even after his year at Elgin, the lazy attitude remained so was punted as soon as his contract was up.

Wasted talent.

Sounds about right. We desperately need a tricky winger with bags of skill though. And a central midfielder. For God's sake, we need a central midfielder.

Murr, can we have Butt?

Sounds about right. We desperately need a tricky winger with bags of skill though. And a central midfielder. For God's sake, we need a central midfielder.

Very strong rumours coming from ICT that Russ Duncan's time is up. He's been terrible for the last 2 seasons and has been largely poor ever since we made it into the SPL. Think he's still got a season or 2 on his contract though... :down:

Aye, 'mon the Boro. Nothing to do with the fiver I've got on you, oh no...

Sheff Utd have just brought on Ched Evans, though. I was more gutted about him leaving City than that arrogant tosspot Chelski reserve waster Sturridge. Hope Ched does well.

Very strong rumours coming from ICT that Russ Duncan's time is up. He's been terrible for the last 2 seasons and has been largely poor ever since we made it into the SPL. Think he's still got a season or 2 on his contract though... :down:

He'll go to the caravan-inhabiting minks over the bridge from you like everyone else seems to. The fuckers.