aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Don't tar everyone with your brush. If I was making 2 million quid a year and I was happy in the job I was in, I would quite happilly turn down 5 million to go somewhere else. If I'm earning enough to live comfortably with no financial worries, I don't feel that I have to then stockpile money so I can go swimming in it like on Duck Tales. Do you really need four houses and ten cars?

I think I'm with you on this one. Everton are also a very stable club right now, and they have really built their reputation with hard work. If it was me, I'd take the 2mil a year over City's 5mil a year, or whatever the figures are. Everton have stability and are in Europe. They have, in my opinion, the best manager in the EPL whose name isn't Alex Ferguson, and he has worked hard to build what he has. City have owners who seem to have very little knowledge of and interest in football and could get bored and pull the plug any minute now, with a squad full of players who have consistently warbled on about wanting to play for another club every transfer window. In other words - Sulkers. Disloyal sulkers. Hughes is still unproven, and whilst he's made good signings (who argubaly weren't even his decisions), he seems tactically inept, and still hasn't come any where near being a threat despite having a strong squad last season.

City is currently a very fashionable gravy train. A mismatched dream team if anything. Apart from the money they have and the money they can offer players, there is not a single up side to leaving Everton and joining City. I think anyway. Not now especially. Maybe in a couple of years when they own all of football and have won everything, including the World Cup and the World Series.

Speaking of Everton (who I follow btw, hence why I'm annoyed about Lescott leaving) have you seen their new away kit? Fucking hell. It takes a brave team to wear pink stripes....

everton_0910-away_shirt.jpg

I think that kit's mint. Would look absolutely belting if the pinstripes were blue, though.

It's far from the worst kit released this Summer...

jimmynail.jpg

Even Jimmy Nail disapproves of that stinker.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Ach well, 9 teams in div 3 this season then. Time for another Highland League team to get a shotty. :) Sadly the Broch won't apply again cos the stadium is a crumbling ruin. It'll probably be Cove Rangers. Huntly and Keith have nice grounds but maybe not the cash/support etc to be competitive.

Bassong to Spuds for 10m. Good central defender with some promise, but he's worth about half that. Good bit of fleecing by us.

Spurs were always going to get nailed for money with all the media reports of us lacking a defence, sellers market.

United have brought in Nicky Weaver til January. Nice work Levein. :up:

If ever there was a time to introduce a pyramid system in the Scottish League set up its now. With teams going out of business at an alarming rate (4 since 2002 - Clydebank, Airdrieonians, Gretna, Livingston) this nonsense of having to elect clubs to the set-up is starting to look ridiculous, especially when you consider the amount of well run teams in the semi-pro leagues below the senior game.

A structured, regional divisional system would not only bring a fantastic opportunity for smaller clubs (ambitious, well run and deserving clubs) but also create a far more competetive environment in the lower leagues in Scotland.

The only downside I can see for it is that it might put the fear of death up some 3rd division clubs, causing them to try and spend beyond their means to preserve league status, which of course could create further losses of clubs.

The whoel system needs a complete and utter revamp from top to bottom, starting with the creation of a single governing body.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen, too many old blazers with cushty numbers who'll never relax their grip on their corporate hospitality freebies!

I'd regonalise the second and third divisions, a Division Two North and a Division Two South if you like. You'd then sort a feeder system so the top club(s) from the central belt and the HFL would be admitted into their Division Two every year. Not sure how the highland clubs would afford travelling but I'd imagine that Tayside would be the furthest away fixture. Of course the current second/third division teams would vote against relegation from the SFL so not sure how it'd be accepted.

Makes sense though, as more folk'd manage to go afford to go to away games I'd imagine therefore boosting the crowds and more local derbies too.

I can't believe ANOTHER club have wasted 15m on Darren Bent. You'd think they'd learn from Spur's mistake.

MASSIVE amount of money for a very injury prone player, but Sunlun have a truckload of money at the moment and they need a goalscorer. He could turn out to be a decent signing for them - he always seemed to pop up with a few goals when he got a run in the Spuds team, but there were always better players ahead of him. I was very impressed (and incredibly jealous) that they signed Lorik Cana, though.

Fingers crossed for this new Newcastle takeover candidate. Just about every media source in the country seems to have picked up on it, so there must be some substance behind it. The lad's a massive Toon fan who's had an executive box for years, helped organise Alan Shearer's testimonial, and allegedly has black and white security railing around the outside of his house. And he's got American financial backing too. What a boy. He's pretty much everything that Fat Ash isn't, although I don't have a clue about his business background or anything, so it could be a ruddy disaster.

Still, I'd rather have Slobodan Milosevic in-charge than Ashley.

Very strong rumours abound that Zander Diamond's off to Celtic for about 850k, with Darren O'Dea moving to the Dons on a season-long loan.

Apparently Celtic looking to cash in on Gary Caldwell as he's only got a year left to run on his contract and is refusing to sign a new one unless offered silly money (he is Scotland's player of the year after all).