Ross County v Hamilton Academical

Kilmarnock v Morton

Ayr United v St. Mirren

Rubbish draw. :down:

Guest Gladstone

BBC - BBC Sport: Paul Fletcher: Barnes back from the wilderness

Missed this appointment at the time.

Seems a bit of a gamble by Tranmere...

I hope Barnes does well to be honest. He's been suffering since being made the scapegoat at Celtic all those years ago. I doubt most of the decisions that season were made by him, and nevertheless, he should never have been appointed manager in the first place with zero experience.

Would be a shame for such a great player to be remembered as a bit of a joke for that 7 month period (of which not all was a shambles - I seem to remember he had the best start to a season since Jock Stein - it's just the second half of the season that screwed it up for him...).

I've suddenly become interested in Cambridge. Delboy! clear things up for us!

I honestly think the Gooners could be the dark horses this season, with or without a couple of new big humping hoofters. If all the glory boys stay fit they will knock in enough goals to make up for their defensive frailties. Also, if Vermalen can adapt to the prem quickly he'll be a tough opposition. Seen him play long before Wenger's interest and was mightily impressed, he's one of those players you don't doubt in a two man tussle to catch a long ball skidding into the space behid the defense, a bit like Vidic (barring the torres gaffe).

Can't wait to see how Man City fair. For all the column inches dedicated to the big spending and the attempt to buy glory and how it's killing football, it's still eleven men against eleven men and therein lies the beauty of football. It's not like they're building 11 robots. I want to see a 30 yard overhead scissors kick, 2 diving headers, enough lollipops to fill a chuppa chups factory and 11 men one-touch passing moves in each game.

Guest Gladstone

It will take a few choice "tackles" by John Terry to ruin Arsenal's hopes of keeping their pretty boys fit.

As for Man City, I really can't see them fairing that well. They've signed quite a few players, but only 1 I reckon is truly world class in Robinho. They still have half a team of the guys they had 2 seasons ago. They also have about 10 attackers. If they click as a team, they could be an awesome attacking force though...

Next season will be Man City's I reckon (if they don't overreact and sack everyone because they haven't won every competition they've entered).

Mark Hughes is the bookie's favourite to get the first sacking of the season. He's still got weeks to strengthen his squad, so if he can't make something happen with his almost endless funds, then he's probably not the right man. That will then spark relentless speculation linking them with every celebrity manager on earth. Mourinho, Ferguson Jnr, Bill Gates and even Bobby Robson.

It will take a few choice "tackles" by John Terry to ruin Arsenal's hopes of keeping their pretty boys fit.

As for Man City, I really can't see them fairing that well. They've signed quite a few players, but only 1 I reckon is truly world class in Robinho. They still have half a team of the guys they had 2 seasons ago. They also have about 10 attackers. If they click as a team, they could be an awesome attacking force though...

Next season will be Man City's I reckon (if they don't overreact and sack everyone because they haven't won every competition they've entered).

Have to disagree... Barry is an unsung hero, Tevez and Adebayor are natural goal scorers. I don't think it's a question of ability, more a question of how Hughes can play them together and harness the egos. He'll need to work hard to earn the respect. Mega rich 20 odd year olds spell trouble and it needs a big man to keep them in line. Added to that is the absence of any lynchpin, long standing player-mentor type like Terry or Giggs to ease the relationship between the management and the playing staff. If hughes can keep them concentrated on football then they should do well.

Mark Hughes is the bookie's favourite to get the first sacking of the season. He's still got weeks to strengthen his squad, so if he can't make something happen with his almost endless funds, then he's probably not the right man. That will then spark relentless speculation linking them with every celebrity manager on earth. Mourinho, Ferguson Jnr, Bill Gates and even Bobby Robson.

If Sparky can't finish in the top 5 with that squad he deserves to be fired. Out of a cannon into the sea.

Del - whats going on?

Ling resigns after 9 days?!

i've just found out the news and to say i am speechless is an understatement! messageboard is so busy its at a halt. even by our standards this is astonishing, every road leads to our chairman who seems hell bent on destroying the club, its even been rumoured that he has been employed by the owners of our ground to run the club into the ground so they can have the site.

thats 2 good class managers who have been unable to work with him, who the hell is going to want to manage us now? there's shit loads of other stuff going on at the club at the moment and all roads lead to mr chairman who i think has become untenable. but the rest of the directors seem a bit afraid of him. very depressed! thats us fucked for the season now!

Guest Gladstone

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | E | Everton | Lescott wants exit from Everton

This annoys me.

I have no affiliation to Everton or any other English club, but I hope this is just paper talk and Lescott doesn't actually want to leave to go to Man City. Everton have helped him massively in becoming the player he is, and I'd much prefer if players like that remained loyal to their clubs. It's not as if Everton are in the doldrums of relegation or anything. He would simply be chasing the money. Everton have as good a chance as Man City (if not better) of getting into the CL this season in my opinion, but not if they lose their best players.

i've just found out the news and to say i am speechless is an understatement! messageboard is so busy its at a halt. even by our standards this is astonishing, every road leads to our chairman who seems hell bent on destroying the club, its even been rumoured that he has been employed by the owners of our ground to run the club into the ground so they can have the site.

thats 2 good class managers who have been unable to work with him, who the hell is going to want to manage us now? there's shit loads of other stuff going on at the club at the moment and all roads lead to mr chairman who i think has become untenable. but the rest of the directors seem a bit afraid of him. very depressed! thats us fucked for the season now!

Finally someone who feels my pain... :p

Another set of takeover negotiations has fallen through at St. James', apparently. Pisses me off how easy it would have been for him to accept his mistakes and start the job of rebuilding the club. He started off well getting rid of Wise and bringing in Shearer, all he had to do was stick with the that and get rid of the high earners and dross. End of the day if Keane could build a Championship winning team out of Sunderland and 20m (was it even that in his 1st season?) then Shearer could do the same and we've a lot more sell-able assets to fund it and a bigger rep to bring in better players. We could have had the likes of Beckford and Cox in now forming a pre season partnership while another half dozen players who have moved could have made amazing purchases for the situation were in. Instead we've just decomposed a little bit more making us unsellable as the players wages are a problem and hidden extras in the 100m fee puts off anyone with half a brain, unfortunately no one out there is as stupid as Ashley. He needs to man up appoint Shearer full time, start selling the high earners while Shearer brings in his own squad, promotion is still possible, think CCC winners is near impossible now, and the winners come end of season will shows us how to bounce back at the weekend when they rape us a new one.

Bottom of the league come Sat night, nice one Ashley you cunt.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | E | Everton | Lescott wants exit from Everton

This annoys me.

I have no affiliation to Everton or any other English club, but I hope this is just paper talk and Lescott doesn't actually want to leave to go to Man City. Everton have helped him massively in becoming the player he is, and I'd much prefer if players like that remained loyal to their clubs. It's not as if Everton are in the doldrums of relegation or anything. He would simply be chasing the money. Everton have as good a chance as Man City (if not better) of getting into the CL this season in my opinion, but not if they lose their best players.

Looks like players are taking a look at Man City right now and thinking "I want me a piece of that", even if in terms of stature, joining Man City is actually a step down from their current club. Looks like its going to continue for the rest of the summer, and possibly summers to come. Its a little more admirable seeing Villa and Everton build up good squads of young players and push the top 4 a little. Whilst Man City's business will open things up and make the coming season very interesting, it just seems like a poor, indigneous way of going about it. But I guess thats what you need to do to break into the top 4.

I guess armchair City fans will be the new Chelsea fans. No connections to the club and probably think Maine Road is a motorway.

• Upvote 1

i've had a good nights kip and i'm still utterly depressed with football before a ruddy ball has even been kicked in the season proper. all kicking off on the united messageboard! even members of the board are airing their dirty linen in public, how the hell are we going to get out of this mess even if the chairman resigns (or more a case of when). my head is fried with all the various rumours, some of which have to be true! all i do know is that there is 3 days to kick off and we have no manager and given the current state of the club no fucker is going to want to manage the club and who can blame them? i've never been this disillusioned with my beloved club.

murrr, group hug :)

have a hug as well maxie, we need to share our pain! whats grating me is we were nicely set up for the new season with one of the best lower league managers around and then boom the shit hit the fan and we are in utter turmoil.

barrow must be looking forward to an easy 3 points on sat!

I thought better of Lescott, but if he wants to go to Man City and get twice the wages to sit on the bench, good riddance to the fucking mercenary.

I can't help but thinking that it's going to come falling down around their ears in a Romanov / Mileson style. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Man City doesn't exist in the 5 years time.

I thought better of Lescott, but if he wants to go to Man City and get twice the wages to sit on the bench, good riddance to the fucking mercenary.

I can't help but thinking that it's going to come falling down around their ears in a Romanov / Mileson style. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Man City doesn't exist in the 5 years time.

Thing is Lescott will definitely play, probably alongside Toure.

have a hug as well maxie, we need to share our pain! whats grating me is we were nicely set up for the new season with one of the best lower league managers around and then boom the shit hit the fan and we are in utter turmoil.

Victims of Shit Chairmen: The Aberdeen-Music Support Group.

Apparently Ashley's on the verge or announcing he's staying for another year.

I'm not going to moan about it, because what I'd have to say would probably fill up about twelve pages of this thread. It's time for him to just man the fuck up and get on with it. Appoint Shearer, Curbishley, Strachan (my pick, although he wouldn't take it), Dowie, or Jewell (my other pick :p), give them a little bit of cash to play with and let them work on their own.

If we don't do that, we'll get relegated again. Simple as.

I actually dont mind Newcastle, its not their fault the media label them as they do (best fans in the world etc). Its a damned tough league to get out of, and they maybe need a different type of player character than they currently have.

I think it's more the club that throw superlatives around about how they are the best fans in the world, trying to placate them into not rioting about how hopeless the team is...