aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Awesome!!!!!!

SHORTEST TIME BETWEEN TWO RED CARDS

"Last month in MLS a New York Red Bulls player, Carlos Johnson, was sent off and upon his return after suspension got sent off in the second minute of the game," writes Brian Scorben. "Is this the shortest amount of on-pitch time anyone has played between two red cards?"

Johnson's effort was an impressive one but he can't hold a torch to the legend that is Nigel Pepper. "I fancy I won't be the only Dandy Don giving you an answer to this question," writes John Sinclair, the only Dandy Don to give us an answer to this question, "but in 1998 Aberdeen's English midfielder Nigel Pepper, signed for 200,000 from Bradford, was sent off 17 seconds into a substitute appearance, which was his first display since serving a suspension following a red card six minutes into an earlier substitute appearance."

i was sent this in an email today, make of it what you will,

"I was in a meeting yesterday with a chap whose brother is on the board at Todders and he gave me an interesting insight into the goings on at the club vis-a-vis Calderwood's exit.

He intimated that "Another announcement" will be made post the appointment of the new manager related to new investment in the club. This is apparently the real reason that JC left the club - SM and WM gave him a "what if?" scenario - in other words "what if you had x to spend - how would you spend it?" it was JC's answer to this question that ultimately convinced SM and WM that JC did not have the vision to take the club where they wanted it to go.

I understand that his response was effectively that no amount of money would allow him to split the OF or challenge for the league and that getting 3rd and a "wee cup run now and then" is the best they (WM and SM) should be aiming for. WM and SM were of the opinion that you don't have to spend the same as the OF to compete with them as the fees they pay and the associated salaries are artificially inflated by virtue of their status. For example had Aberdeen and Hearts been competing for Gow he would not be on 6 grand a week in the reserves, more like 2-3 grand a week - and if Rangers had not been interested Naismith would have left Killie for closer to half a million not the 1.5M he went for.

To me this makes sense, a smaller amount of money invested wisely goes a lot further than competing with the OF for players. One of the other critical factors was how and where JC would expand his scouting network - his answer was allegedly that he would look to Holland and the lower leagues and reserves in England as these players "settle well". WM and SM were less than impressed with the lack of imagination and are apparently keen on tapping the US/Canadian & Australian markets for kids (in particular those with European parentage) and also in looking to establish a model like larger clubs in establishing a feeder club in Belgium/Poland to quickly get non-EU players eligible to play in the UK.

As I said this information is all 2nd hand but from a reliable source that I have no reason to doubt. I think the fact we are willing to shell out 700k in compo in the face of Setanta's collapse suggests that someone or some institution is funding this - it may even be Wiggy himself deciding that the "club needs to look after itself" approach is now boring and he wants another crack at doing something special with the club. I know that the Stewart Milne Group is not doing well in the recession but as a limited liability company even if they folded Stewart Milne's personal wealth would still be in the region of a couple of 100M so the money for any major development of the club would be a small percentage of this - we are after all not talking about signing Kaka more like Kaka Jr!!"

Regards,

Ewan

It doesn't benefit either Aberdeen or Motherwell to drag this out for ages, so I would have to assume that things are more complicated than they appear on the surface.

Week long contract negotiations are hardly unusual in business and football is no different. Given the financial state of both clubs, it's hardly surprising that both are going to dig their heels in regarding the compensation deal to ensure they get the best possible deal.

Ultimately, I think it's more important that we secure the deal, rather than quibbling over how long it takes.

Nae reply from Ashley or Llambias as of yet. I expect the offer of a Curly-Wurly and a bottle of Oasis that the Beeb reported was more tempting for a man of Fat Ash's size :up:.

Someone I know send in an email as "Mr. Um Bongo from the Congo". A trifle racist, perhaps...

Wouldn't be too sure. All that means is that Partick will get a nice bit of compensation if he does go to Mortherwell.

Just seen McCall interviewed on Sky Sports news, he doesn't have the look or attitude of a man going anywhere else fast! I'm beginning to think we'll have a decent shout next year if all the senior players stay and we get a couple more shrewd buys.

Early doors yet though!

:up:

Just seen McCall interviewed on Sky Sports news, he doesn't have the look or attitude of a man going anywhere else fast! I'm beginning to think we'll have a decent shout next year if all the senior players stay and we get a couple more shrewd buys.

Early doors yet though!

:up:

Think I'm right in saying Paul Harkins at QP is Gary's brother - he's every bit as good. Paul Cairney is even better.

maybe tevez will stay now, man utd will prob change their style slightly, it might work out well for him.

If i was Man u i would be accepting that bid, he obviously has wanted to leave for a year now, 80m is damm good buisness, they can sign two top players to replace him, david silva i would bet if not ribery.