aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I think we should just all concede that there is no loyalty left in football. I think it will be proven when Kaka finally jumps ship after years of committing himself to Milan. I will respect his decision though, since Milan and the Serie A are shite and a player of his calibre needs to be competing at the highest level. Not wasting away in a pensioners league only second to the MLS.

Barry is a cunt. He's not even worth 12 million. Citeh could do with a player like him, but that's because their central midfield is pissweak rather than him being good. I'd have preferred it if he went to Liverpool though. He'd be well behind Alonso and Mascherano in the pecking order. He'd waste away on the bench and end up playing Championship football in a few years.

Speaking of young promising footballers, Andrew Bagshaw played at my age level when i was at School, he played for Grammar and i played for Cults. Destroyed us every time we played against them. I'm pretty sure he got at least 9 goals in a game once. Was he not playing for Scotland under 21s at the age of 16 or something?

Gareth Barry is now officially the biggest dildo in the EPL, apart from Robinho. What on earth was he thinking?

And Ronaldo, and Drogba, and Bellamy, and Pennant...

I'm pretty disappointed that Barry's gone to that cackle of cockends, but I'm hardly surprised. Football is a mercenary sport and unfortunately the loyal player is a dying breed (as a Newcastle fan, this is something I know all about :p). Barry is 28 now; he's not got a massive amount of time left in the game and he's probably realised that his "dream" Champions League move is never going to happen. He'll never have the chance to make this kinda money in his career again and yeah, it is sad to see another player "selling out," but I can fully understand his decision. Players move for money all the time and this is a trend that will continue for years to come.

I was pretty disappointed to hear about Steve Bruce joining Sunderland, as I've always wanted him to manage us someday. Guess that'll never happen, now. I think he'll be a great appointment for them if the fans give him time (given the side of the river he was born on).

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I'm still hoping this happens to me in my sporting life. 21 too old yet?

I've been hoping for the same since I was about 19. I'm now 27 - not giving up till I hit 30. Midfielders are in their peak age 28/29...

Players I was up against in my school days included Stuart Duff and Shaun Maloney. Stuart Duff was quite simply awesome. Just couldn't get near him. A total workhorse in centre mid without ever getting tired. He could pick a pass, and was unbeatable in the air. He wasn't a massive strong guy either. Just a very good footballer. Maloney was nothing to write home about - I was surprised when he turned out for Celtic and was pretty shit hot.

My brother had Ross Tokely and Barry Robson and some other guy I've forgotten. My brother hates Ross Tokely - says he was always a complete and utter bell end. Barry Robson was by far and away the best player in his league apparently. And not a bell end.

Guest idol_wild
I've been hoping for the same since I was about 19. I'm now 27 - not giving up till I hit 30. Midfielders are in their peak age 28/29...

Players I was up against in my school days included Stuart Duff and Shaun Maloney. Stuart Duff was quite simply awesome. Just couldn't get near him. A total workhorse in centre mid without ever getting tired. He could pick a pass, and was unbeatable in the air. He wasn't a massive strong guy either. Just a very good footballer. Maloney was nothing to write home about - I was surprised when he turned out for Celtic and was pretty shit hot.

My brother had Ross Tokely and Barry Robson and some other guy I've forgotten. My brother hates Ross Tokely - says he was always a complete and utter bell end. Barry Robson was by far and away the best player in his league apparently. And not a bell end.

Duff's been completely found out at the level he's at now, though. I used to play amateur football and a team mate played at Albion Boys Club with Maloney and suggested he wasn't even their best player. In fact, he was quite partial to the odd binge of hard drugs. Dunno what happened that sorted him out, but I think he's proved himself.

I played against Russell Duncan when he played for Stonehaven Swifts. He was pretty good. I had to man-mark him from right full-back (yeah, he was a centre-forward, I was playing right full-back, yet I had to man-mark him - puzzling) and he only scored 9 goals. I say only because they were A League, we were B League and their manager approached me after the game and said I played "very well - he sometimes scores as many as 15 in one game."

I don't think that made me feel any better to be honest.

I played against Russell Duncan when he played for Stonehaven Swifts. He was pretty good. I had to man-mark him from right full-back (yeah, he was a centre-forward, I was playing right full-back, yet I had to man-mark him - puzzling) and he only scored 9 goals. I say only because they were A League, we were B League and their manager approached me after the game and said I played "very well - he sometimes scores as many as 15 in one game."

Easily the best player in my year at school, or any year. His main problem was that he knew it.

Being name checked in Four Four Two as one of the UKs brightest prospects while you're still doing standard grades doesn't do wonders for your sparkling personality.

Still, even though he's now playing in division 1, he'll always have that goal he scored against England in the schoolboys international.

Guest idol_wild
Easily the best player in my year at school, or any year. His main problem was that he knew it.

Being name checked in Four Four Two as one of the UKs brightest prospects while you're still doing standard grades doesn't do wonders for your sparkling personality.

Still, even though he's now playing in division 1, he'll always have that goal he scored against England in the schoolboys international.

He was a big fucking brute at U15 level. Literally a man amongst boys.

Andrew Bagshaw ran Micah Richards ragged in the Victory Shield - now look at them!

The only players I played alongside to get signed were Neil Main who went to ICT for a spell and Craig McKeown and Kenny Tawse who both went to Dunfermline. All cracking players although Craig was the only one who went onto full time football - now at Dundee. Mainser is still playing at Fraserburgh AFAIK, and I dont think Kenny plays much these days, but I bump into him quite regularly around town on nights out.

Steve Bruce to Sunderland.

Cats confirm Bruce as new boss | English Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Hmmm....

Quinn then turned his attention back to the vacant managerial post' date=' concluding, "It needs a big man to take on a mantle, to take the pressure, to take the interest, to take the strain of getting a big club like this to go forward and to change the mentality.

"Big people change mentalities. I will do everything I can to deliver a big name.

[/quote']

Controversial as well, in today's culture where a manager needs to be 'sellick-minded' etc. that a lifelong Newcastle fan takes the job at their biggest rivals.

I obviously don't know the full motives of Steve Bruce, but it's a little disappointing. He had really worked hard to build what he had at Wigan, and they have been a good team for the past couple of seasons. He conceded that they are a selling club, but still managed to keep rebuilding when losing big players, albeit on a limited budget. Exceedingly commendable.

It doesn't seem like much of a coincidence that he's jumped ship to Sunderland shortly after they've been bolstered with a fairly massive amount of money. That's Barry and now Bruce who have quickly swanned off to clubs that are statistically inferior to their former club, for what I can only imagine is financial reasons.

Football is shit.

Guest idol_wild
I obviously don't know the full motives of Steve Bruce, but it's a little disappointing. He had really worked hard to build what he had at Wigan, and they have been a good team for the past couple of seasons. He conceded that they are a selling club, but still managed to keep rebuilding when losing big players, albeit on a limited budget. Exceedingly commendable.

It doesn't seem like much of a coincidence that he's jumped ship to Sunderland shortly after they've been bolstered with a fairly massive amount of money. That's Barry and now Bruce who have quickly swanned off to clubs that are statistically inferior to their former club, for what I can only imagine is financial reasons.

Football is shit.

I can see your point with Gareth Barry, but I'm a big admirer of Steve Bruce and I feel Sunderland is a good move for him. He's literally taken Wigan as far as they can ever go in my opinion and they will never really grow as a club - they don't have the potential demographic. On the flipside, Sunderland have the potential, not to mention the resources, to really grow and become a regular top ten side with frequent experiences of European football. They've been close to that in the recent past and I think they have everything in place to achieve something under the right manager. I think Bruce is that manager. He's also an excellent judge of a player and knows how to get the most out of certain players and use them according to their strengths. I think he'll do well at Sunderland.

Unless, of course, the Geordie twat is trying to ruin his boyhood heroes' rivals from within. :up:

Hmm, I dunno. I think Wigan would find it hard this summer if he was there as they are probably going to lose Valencia, but he's always managed to regroup when losing important players which is what I've liked about him the most as a manager the past few years. They've crept slowly towards the Uefa Cup positions (quite a bit off now, but getting closer statistically), and I think a couple more years could have had them in the position Fulham have just finished in with the right man running things, which I would certainly have considered Bruce as.

Losing a manager of his calibre and soon possibly their best player, they'll be slogging away towards the relegation zone I predict. It'd be a shame. I quite like Wigan, even if they can't fill their ground due to being a rugby town.

I played against Tokely in a School game, they beat us 9-3 and I think he scored 5! Chopped him good on the edge of the box but he got up and scored the resultant free kick. It goes to show the difference in how you perceive your own ability compared to professionals when watching a game and the actual reality of the comparison!

Played Summer League with a young Sharpie (Graeme Sharp who played for Montrose and now for Peterheed).

I will respect his decision though, since Milan and the Serie A are shite and a player of his calibre needs to be competing at the highest level. Not wasting away in a pensioners league only second to the MLS.

To be fair, it's only really Milan who're like that, thanks to Berlusconi's nu-Galacticos wet dream. Players like De Rossi, Cassano, Ibrahimovic (despite being a big game choker) Julio Cesar, Maicon (almost as good as John O'Shea), Chiellini, Diego, Cambiasso, etc. would walk into virtually any EPL side, and that's without even mentioning any players aged 30+. There's more young talent than people realise as well, like Pato, Balotelli, Hamsik, Santon and various others.

It has gone downhill since 2006, but mostly its image just suffers from Sky having no reason to promote it.

Andrew Bagshaw ran Micah Richards ragged in the Victory Shield - now look at them!

The only players I played alongside to get signed were Neil Main who went to ICT for a spell and Craig McKeown and Kenny Tawse who both went to Dunfermline. All cracking players although Craig was the only one who went onto full time football - now at Dundee. Mainser is still playing at Fraserburgh AFAIK, and I dont think Kenny plays much these days, but I bump into him quite regularly around town on nights out.

I remember Kenny Tawse, we used to go to coerver coaching in Ellon together. Whilst everyone else was working on their maradonna swivels and overhead kicks he was more concerned with his defensive headed clearences. He was the epitome of a solid player.

I played against Tokely in a School game, they beat us 9-3 and I think he scored 5! Chopped him good on the edge of the box but he got up and scored the resultant free kick. It goes to show the difference in how you perceive your own ability compared to professionals when watching a game and the actual reality of the comparison!

Played Summer League with a young Sharpie (Graeme Sharp who played for Montrose and now for Peterheed).

Forgot about Sharpie! He played in the Goals Student league on wednesday a few years ago when I was at uni. Played for a team called We Owe Goals, who were by far the best team in the league - we finished 2nd and they humped us rotten with 4 players! Sharpie ran the show for them!

BBC Sport have published their funny chants and stadium announcements from the season past.

BBC SPORT | Fun and Games | Chants of the season

Here's my favourites:

"He's fast, he's red, he talks like Father Ted, Robbie Keane."

Liverpool salute their short-stay striker.

"You don't know what you're doing!"

Leeds fans at Derby to a supporter who proposed to his girlfriend on the pitch.

"You're just a s*** Chas & Dave!"

Spurs fans to Liam Gallagher about him and Noel during Tottenham-Man City game.

"It finishes Crawley Town 2, Woking 2. Be sure to tune in to the Blue Square Premier Review on Setanta next week to see how far offside Woking's first goal was!"

Crawley stadium announcer.