aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Delighted with the capture of Lee Mair, but its no surprise to be honest, rumour had it months ago that he'd signed a PCA with us. Just glad we seem to be getting our finger out and putting a squad together befoer pre season, as opposed to grasping for last minute loan deals. Always thought Lee Mair had a wee touch of quality about him, and at one point he was mooted as a Scotland regular. Hopefully he'll stay injury free and be a good signing for us.

Plus anything is better than Pope John Paul Potter.

ETA: Other rumoured PCA we've agreed is Higdon from Falkirk, we'll see if that comes to fruition.

Oh aye, and its St Mirren :up:

Aye, but what I'm meaning is I think we should have looked to hold on to him before his contract expired rather than leaving him to go. I can't imagine St Midden can afford what we were paying him either.

Wouldnt be too sure of that - we're allegedly paying Mo Camara 3.5k a week plus a hefty signing on fee.

o_O :down:

Guest idol_wild
Wouldnt be too sure of that - we're allegedly paying Mo Camara 3.5k a week plus a hefty signing on fee.

o_O :down:

I'd agree. I doubt Mair was on a basic wage of much more than about a grand a week, with bonuses for apperances bumping his earnings up.

from what ive been told in recent weeks the dons dont actually pay that much of a basic wage to players, what they do offer is massive bonus's for winning games ect, part of the reason seve is so annoyed, he wants a better basic wage with less focus on the bonus's. I actually like the idea of paying them a little amount unless they perform well, just a pitty it doesnt seem to translate onto the pitch.

Guest idol_wild
from what ive been told in recent weeks the dons dont actually pay that much of a basic wage to players, what they do offer is massive bonus's for winning games ect, part of the reason seve is so annoyed, he wants a better basic wage with less focus on the bonus's. I actually like the idea of paying them a little amount unless they perform well, just a pitty it doesnt seem to translate onto the pitch.

Yeah, I think Aberdeen implemented that approach to contract packages after the debacle that was Paul Bernard and two certain under-performing Bulgarians. Picking up massive basic weekly wages and doing absolutely zilch to earn it. Aside from playing snooker in the Ambassador and smoking big fuck-off Cuban cigars.

Yeah, I think Aberdeen implemented that approach to contract packages after the debacle that was Paul Bernard and two certain under-performing Bulgarians. Picking up massive basic weekly wages and doing absolutely zilch to earn it. Aside from playing snooker in the Ambassador and smoking big fuck-off Cuban cigars.

i think its the best route to go down, play shit get a shit pay packet, play well and get paid for it, the only real problem is the fact most clubs dont impliment this kinda system so if players really dont like it they just fuck off somewhere that will pay them full whack everytime.

i think its the best route to go down, play shit get a shit pay packet, play well and get paid for it, the only real problem is the fact most clubs dont impliment this kinda system so if players really dont like it they just fuck off somewhere that will pay them full whack everytime.

Historically this was how football clubs were run - most clubs only really made any money through winning competitions and as such the players were rewarded accordingly with win bonuses. The advent of TV money meant that clubs were earning huge sums without actually winning anything and the players were the first in line to take large swathes of this home to their WAGS.

How else do you think Eamonn Bannon played in a UEFA Cup final?

The advent of TV money meant that clubs were earning huge sums without actually winning anything and the players were the first in line to take large swathes of this home to their WAGS.

This and the Bosman ruling. That gave a serious amount of power to players when negotiating contracts. Must be a nice position to be in to tell your current club to pay you a shitload of money or your leaving for nowt or tell your future club to pay you a shitload of money as they are not paying a transfer fee.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | A | Aberdeen | Aberdeen poised to unveil McGhee

Looks like McGhee will be in charge by tomorrow.

Although not my ideal candidate, I'll be supoorting him 100%.

i think he'll do a good job. he's the most obvious choice and has a decent enough record.

edit: also, the bbc is shit at reporting scottish football news. that's a whole day behind the herald who broke the story with the link i posted a page back and was picked up by other new outlets. bah.

Guest idol_wild

I have a really good gut feeling about Mark McGhee actually. I think he's good a decent record of working with youngsters and developing them into first-teamers and that's going to be a big part of his job. Let's just hope some of the young players on the cusp of first team football are good.

My only worry is a minority of Aberdeen supporters failing to approve and be willing to publically state this. This helps nobody.

I have a really good gut feeling about Mark McGhee actually. I think he's good a decent record of working with youngsters and developing them into first-teamers and that's going to be a big part of his job. Let's just hope some of the young players on the cusp of first team football are good.

My only worry is a minority of Aberdeen supporters failing to approve and be willing to publically state this. This helps nobody.

I'm not a Dons fan and even I dont want him as manager at Pittodrie. A selection of his quotes:

"Celtic at home is a great draw for us, and everyone at the club is looking forward to the game." - before St Mirren beat them 1-0 in the replay and put them out of the cup!

"Top six is our aim, its a quirk of the league that HIbs and ourselves both have St Mirren and Rangers in our last two games. Its going to come down to how many goals we can put past St Mirren..."

Hibs 1-1 St Mirren

Motherwell 0-2 St Mirren.

No Mark. No it wont.