aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

The TV show Cheaters, where folk who suspect their other halves are doing the dirty are spied on, and then confronted when the offender and their booty call are together in public, or sometimes they bust into their house/hotel room with their pants down. Sometimes there's full on fights, or quick driving off in a car whilst someone chases after the car screaming floods of tears. Sometimes big fat guys get pushed into a water fountain. Flawless and unparalleled television.

• Upvote 4

The Doors Alive gig last night in Glasgow, I really didn't like the idea of a tribute band, but I'm never getting to see the real thing. They were just fantastic, the singer has obviously put a lot of effort into getting his performance just right, and the whole night was brilliant.

I'd definitely see them again.

• Upvote 1

I saw a tribute band to The Jam in Leeds a few times, and they were great. They had every detail nailed down, from the haircuts, suits, and the Rickenbacker guitars. The singer was even a proper massive cunt, just like Weller. Brilliant.

Tribute bands can sometimes be good. Lots of shite ones though.

Some are really great though, especially if its a band you're never going to get to see in your lifetime, they are letting people hear their music played live, and whilst there's alot of shite ones, there's plenty of very convincing tribute acts who do it very well.

I'd probably never be in a cover/tribute band, but I've got nothing against going to watch one who are genuinely good at recapturing a band from years gone by.

I have played in a cover band for the best part of 12 years now, for me its one of the most fantastic fun things you can do with music. There is not the same stress of being in an original band both in terms of song writing and the need to "make it". But we have been over this before i think.....

Well exactly, I'm never going to get to see The Doors live (with Jim Morrison anyway), so it was great getting to see someone who had obviously put a lot of effort into their act, sounds scarily like Jim Morrison. It was a fab night. I wouldn't see a tribute band of someone who is still around and playing.

I think of it as one of the biggest compliments you can give another band, that A, you are bothered to learn how to play their songs, and B people care enough about your songs that they can enjoy them no matter how badly they are performed by another. Honestly, the best nights of my gigging life bar 2 were with the covers band, one of the others was playing a night of covers with Stayover lol.

For me it can be one of two things, A) a bunch of guys who just genuinely want to play music that they love, and that's fine, or B) a bunch of guys riding someone else's coattails. By all means do a cover band if it's for the love of the music you're playing and an actual "tribute" to it, but folk who ponce around in wigs and try to look and sound exactly like someone else, I've got no time for because that's something different. I myselftried to start a Ramones cover band a few years ago, but purely because I love their songs and I wanted to jam them, at no point did I intend putting on a leather jacket and long black wig and trying to be Joey Ramone. Bands who make a living touring as a tribute act will be the first against the wall when I'm running this country. Plus they killed the Lemon Tree.

• Upvote 1

I don't really have much interest in watching a band that just plays a selection of covers of popular rock songs, but a band that can impersonate a band from years gone by and do it very well can be very fun, if you like that band. It's good if you never have a chance of seeing that band ever again, so there's no harm in cover bands touring their act around the country, in my opinion. I'd never do it, but I'm glad there are people who do.

The Jam tribute band that I've seen a few times were brilliant and had everything about The Jam nailed down. It was fun for me, because I fucking love The Jam, and there's zero chance of a reunion. Even if they did reform, they'd play the songs as old men playing songs from years ago, probably with no heart whatsoever, whereas the Jam tribute band play those songs as if it's still 1977. They've got the voices, the accents, the suits, the Ricky guitars, the Bruce Foxton jig, everything. They can play any song. They play all the hits, then they take requests, and can do any album track or B-side. That's pretty great.

There was a Weezer tribute band from Manchester a few years ago who only did a few gigs as a one off and they were also great, since they played Blue and Pinkerton from front to back, and none of the other shit. If you actually went to see Weezer, that wouldn't happen. You'd get all the shit songs, and come away feeling a bit ripped off for the £30 it cost to get in or whatever. I paid a fiver to see "Geezer" and they were genuinely more fun than the two times I've seen Weezer.

• Upvote 1

I've seen my fair share of both and don't really enjoy either. I understand why they exist but it doesn't really do anything for me, its almost just like music for music's sake. Although, a band like Hayseed Dixie or Senor Coconut who play covers but in a different style, i can get behind. That's a bit hypocritical maybe?