aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Try cooking it for even longer, 25 mins doesn't seem enough. Bolognese should be at least an hour, covered on a low heat and don't stir it too often. Also a decent glug of red wine between browning the meat and adding the tomatoes will help it along nicely.

What he said. I also have a slow cooker bought in tesco for about 15 which is a good investment and great for bolognaise. Stick all yer ingredients for a bolognaise into it in the morning (don't need to brown the mince or anything) and stick it on a low heat for 8 hours. Arrive home from work, boil up some pasta, stick the red wine you didn't use in a pint glass and sit down for a fine tea.

Oregano is the best herb to use for bolognaise.

• 2 weeks later...

How in the name of fuck do you poach an egg?

I've never tried it before as I've always been a fan of the easily attainable frying or scrambling options. But tonight I got it into my head that I really wanted some nice spaghetti with garlic and a poached egg on top.

3 fucking eggs later and I had a big mess, half an edible poached egg and cold spaghetti. Earlier on I watched the hairy bikers poach an egg perfectly first time by doing exactly the same thing as me.

I think I just need to practice more.

I've never tried it before as I've always been a fan of the easily attainable frying or scrambling options. But tonight I got it into my head that I really wanted some nice spaghetti with garlic and a poached egg on top.

3 fucking eggs later and I had a big mess, half an edible poached egg and cold spaghetti. Earlier on I watched the hairy bikers poach an egg perfectly first time by doing exactly the same thing as me.

Apparantly a super fresh egg really helps. Like still warm from the chickens arse fresh...

If you're a poaching spastic buy a poach-buddy:

http://www.fusionbrands.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=182

Eggsactly (boom boom) the same thing happens to me every single time I try. I just don't bother anymore.

All the tips (vinegar in the water, 'whirlpool' before dropping the egg in) just don't work.

Apparantly a super fresh egg really helps. Like still warm from the chickens arse fresh...

My eggs were bought on Saturday. They were pretty fresh.

If you're a poaching spastic buy a poach-buddy:

I don't want to cheat. Though I did see a really easy method involving cling film.

My eggs were bought on Saturday. They were pretty fresh.

I don't want to cheat. Though I did see a really easy method involving cling film.

It's not cheating, just containing. I find that a fresh egg in boiling water with a splash of vinegar and whirl-pooling the water works for me but poach-pods are totally acceptable for poachtards.

it's not hard, put a bit of vinegar in some water, swirl it around and crack an egg into it. what's happening to your eggs? are they breaking up in the water or when you try and take them out?

it's not hard, put a bit of vinegar in some water, swirl it around and crack an egg into it. what's happening to your eggs? are they breaking up in the water or when you try and take them out?

They're breaking up in the water and becoming egg soup.

The last and most successful attempt involved hot water, vinegar, stirring and holding the cup with the egg in it in the water for 20 seconds before pouring the egg in. But it was still shit.

I made a fresh blueberry cheesecake the other night and it was delicious, albeit slightly burnt on top.

So simple, and yet it tasted amazing.

It says to use a 23cm tin, but I did that and it was very shallow - the base was only about 1cm thick. If I were making it again I'd use a smaller tin. Also it said to bake for 40 minutes, but I went back after 30 and mine was burning, so I'd change it to 30.

Baked cheesecake with blueberries

Serves: 10 , Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

75g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing

175g digestive biscuits

175g blueberries, plus extra for decorating

450g cream cheese

150g caster sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 eggs, lightly beaten

Icing sugar, to dust

24cm diameter springform/loose-bottomed tin

(1) Preheat the oven to 180/gas 4. Butter the tin sides and base.

(2) Place the biscuits in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Alternatively, put them in a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin. Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter and press into the base of the tin. Spread the blueberries over the base and leave to chill in the fridge until needed.

(3) Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and eggs together in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Pour over the top of the blueberries and then bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until its pale golden and only wobbles slightly when you gently shake the tin.

(4) Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen it and remove it from the tin. Transfer to a serving plate. sprinkle over a few blueberries, then dust with icing sugar.

(5) Serve chilled.

It's not cheating, just containing. I find that a fresh egg in boiling water with a splash of vinegar and whirl-pooling the water works for me but poach-pods are totally acceptable for poachtards.

Is it not more advisable to have the water simmering, so that the bubbling action of the boiling water doesn't distrupt the egg and mess it up?