aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

I'm going to make pizza again this weekend. Can't wait, stocked up on anchovies, capers and olives.

We went to Korova on Saturday afternoon for lunch and it seems it's reputation is well justified. Not a big menu but everything on it sounded good. Eventually we both went for the burger of the day which arrived with some of the best hand cut chips I've had. Top work on that front.

The only criticisms I had was that they should let the customer salt the chips themselves instead of serving them salted. I thought they had used too much. Then when I got into the burger I thought it could have done with a little more seasoning in the mix. But 6 for a handmade burger, relish and excellent chips is a pretty good deal. Will definitely go back for more.

I'm going to make pizza again this weekend. Can't wait, stocked up on anchovies, capers and olives.

We went to Korova on Saturday afternoon for lunch and it seems it's reputation is well justified. Not a big menu but everything on it sounded good. Eventually we both went for the burger of the day which arrived with some of the best hand cut chips I've had. Top work on that front.

The only criticisms I had was that they should let the customer salt the chips themselves instead of serving them salted. I thought they had used too much. Then when I got into the burger I thought it could have done with a little more seasoning in the mix. But 6 for a handmade burger, relish and excellent chips is a pretty good deal. Will definitely go back for more.

Whilst the food is some of the best pub food I've had in town, the portions were woefully small. I think with pub food, I generally expect quantity, as it's generally for having a bit of a pig out. They even lack side orders, so I couldn't even pad it out with onion rings.

The burger was incredible though, and the chips were perfect. Just not enough!

Currently loving Turkey right now. Made cheese and bacon burgers last night, using Turkey Mince for the burgers, Turkey rashers as a bacon alternative. Really awesome. Less than half the grease! Very lean.

Whilst the food is some of the best pub food I've had in town, the portions were woefully small. I think with pub food, I generally expect quantity, as it's generally for having a bit of a pig out. They even lack side orders, so I couldn't even pad it out with onion rings.

The burger was incredible though, and the chips were perfect. Just not enough!

I dunno, I thought the portions were perfect for lunch. It maybe could've done with some coleslaw on the side or something I suppose, but we were both full at the end of it. Maybe if I was starting a night out I'd have been looking for bigger portions though.

Thirded on the Korova burger, if you get it with cheese, bacon and black pudding then it's win all the way. If that doesn't fill you to bursting then either my stomach's too small or you're a fat fucking pie.

Tried the "gourmet" burger at Archibald Simpson's yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Chips and a drink thrown in for just over 6 quid. As for the burger, didn't know whether to eat it or climb it...

:up:

Thirded on the Korova burger, if you get it with cheese, bacon and black pudding then it's win all the way. If that doesn't fill you to bursting then either my stomach's too small or you're a fat fucking pie.

Tried the "gourmet" burger at Archibald Simpson's yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Chips and a drink thrown in for just over 6 quid. As for the burger, didn't know whether to eat it or climb it...

They must push the boat out if you go "gourmet" 'cos last time I got the basic burger and beer deal at Archie's it was really pretty poor.

They will add a solitary slice of cheese for an extra 50p though!

They must push the boat out if you go "gourmet" 'cos last time I got the basic burger and beer deal at Archie's it was really pretty poor.

They will add a solitary slice of cheese for an extra 50p though!

As well as the burger (good quality as well) and salad, there's a 3 cheese sauce, bacon and onion rings and looks pretty damn impressive. Give it a try, filled me up for the day.

I used to really love the Mega Fuck Off Burger, or whatever their double burger is called, at the Wild Boar. However, the last time I went, the food arrived in less than 5 minutes and I was very ill later in the day. Not a coincidence.

Come on now, Wild Boar. I am fully aware the closest thing you've got to a grill in your kitchens is a fridge, but at least leave it on the side for a bit so I'm not fully convinced you've microwaved it, despite both the bread and the salad being warm. I'll let that all slide as long as you don't make me chocolate piss out of my arse.

I used to really love the Mega Fuck Off Burger, or whatever their double burger is called, at the Wild Boar. However, the last time I went, the food arrived in less than 5 minutes and I was very ill later in the day. Not a coincidence.

Come on now, Wild Boar. I am fully aware the closest thing you've got to a grill in your kitchens is a fridge, but at least leave it on the side for a bit so I'm not fully convinced you've microwaved it, despite both the bread and the salad being warm. I'll let that all slide as long as you don't make me chocolate piss out of my arse.

you won't know this being from elsewhere, but the wild boar used to be properly brilliant. they even sold amazing cake.

you won't know this being from elsewhere, but the wild boar used to be properly brilliant. they even sold amazing cake.

God, those were the days. I miss the old Wild Boar.

I just made some amazing spaghetti.

Got some pork and black pudding sausages from the freezer and chopped them up. Fried them in a load of olive oil, put them on a plate to one side then turned the heat down and threw in a thinly sliced chili and some garlic. Cooked it briefly then left it to one side while the oil got nice and garlicky. In the meantime I cooked the spaghetti, then once it was ready I added some of the spaghetti cooking water to the frying pan, put it back on the heat to make a basic sauce and added back the sausage and the drained spaghetti. Season, stir up so it's all coated in the sauce then eat. Awesome.

you won't know this being from elsewhere, but the wild boar used to be properly brilliant.

It certainly did. Before they got rid of the manky yet comfortable seats downstairs, and turned into a wanky 'contemporary bar'. I miss the days of having a wee sports nap in there before the Palace!

Got a question for you foodies. I bought some mince at the weekend and I forgot to do anything with it and it's just been in my fridge all week. The use-by date is tomorrow, but it's started to turn brown. It smells quite strong, not rotten but strong, and it's gone light brown. It's been stored in the fridge the whole time. Do you think it will be OK to eat or would it be safer to just sling it?

Also, if I buy meat in bulk to freeze, which I often do, is it imperative to freeze it as soon as I buy it? Cos I often wait until it's at the use by date before I freeze it, figuring that I might eat it and not need to freeze it.

Got a question for you foodies. I bought some mince at the weekend and I forgot to do anything with it and it's just been in my fridge all week. The use-by date is tomorrow, but it's started to turn brown. It smells quite strong, not rotten but strong, and it's gone light brown. It's been stored in the fridge the whole time. Do you think it will be OK to eat or would it be safer to just sling it?

It should be safe to eat, the discolouration is probably just due to all the juices running out of the meat. But it won't taste as good as it would have at the start of the week.

As for freezing, you should freeze as soon as possible if that's your intention when you buy it. Otherwise you're just letting the meat become more stale and old while it just sits in your fridge. It's more of a taste/quality decision than a safety one I think (though I've not done a food safety course so don't quote me on that).