aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

'Doing your taxes'

In Poland you have to file your taxes on your own every year. It's really confusing. All 50 polish states have different state taxes too which means there isn't really one way of doing it. You can either pay someone 100 or so zlotys to just take care of it for you, or get ripped off doing it online, or do it all yourself... which is way beyond me. So not only is a large percentage of my pay being taken away every month, I have to do all the calculations to see if i've given enough myself. Terrible system.

'Doing your taxes'

In Poland you have to file your taxes on your own every year. It's really confusing. All 50 polish states have different state taxes too which means there isn't really one way of doing it. You can either pay someone 100 or so zlotys to just take care of it for you, or get ripped off doing it online, or do it all yourself... which is way beyond me. So not only is a large percentage of my pay being taken away every month, I have to do all the calculations to see if i've given enough myself. Terrible system.

Is the Tax deadline like that episode of the Simpsons, where it's chaos in the Post Office?

No, you still get it taken out of your pay. In most cases it's about getting money back, but if your accountant finds the government hasn't been taking enough money from you (which happens a lot), you have to cough it up. There's all kinds of weirdness to it too like some things you can opt into pre-tax, particularly around healthcare. For example, you can open a flexible spending account that allows you to put money from your paycheck directly into an account you can only use to buy healthcare related items (Over the counter drugs all the way to things like contact lens solution, aspirin, cough medicine, etc). You have to make sure that's all legit (because noone tells you how to do things here... it's a bit of a clusterfuck to be honest in terms of what you pay and what you can witholld). It's obviously much more of a ballache for people who work for themselves. They have to go through EVERYTHING at this time of year.

It does have its upsides though. I bought a computer a while ago and come tax time, the accountant suggested I claim tax back on the purchase because I work with computers and it's essential to my job. There's a lot of that. Also, unless there's been a major fuck up somewhere, I should get a phat rebate cheque in the post at some point.

I've always been curious about tax in the US. TV like that Simpsons episode and various other shows made me wonder what the deal was. Sounds like a ridiculous system.

Same. Like when someone is getting 'audited' on a TV show, and they have to dig out every receipt for everything they've bought. Does that happen? Do 'Mericans hoard receipts like that, incase the IRS rains down on them? If I'm just getting some grub from Sainsburys local, I usually don't even take a receipt. Would the IRS throw me in jail for not keeping a receipt from when I bought Bagels?

Same. Like when someone is getting 'audited' on a TV show, and they have to dig out every receipt for everything they've bought. Does that happen? Do 'Mericans hoard receipts like that, incase the IRS rains down on them? If I'm just getting some grub from Sainsburys local, I usually don't even take a receipt. Would the IRS throw me in jail for not keeping a receipt from when I bought Bagels?

If you were claiming the tax back on the bagels then you would need the receipt. (Filed under b for bagel). That's pretty much how it works. Like in my example, I had to keep the receipt for my computer but that's it. People get creative with it though. Like claiming tax back on a breakfast because you needed sustenance before a job interview and shit like that.

Those are the people who get audited. When it's like 'hud on a minty'... why do you want tax back on a bagel?

Edited by ca_gere

If you were claiming the tax back on the bagels then you would need the receipt. (Filed under b for bagel). That's pretty much how it works. Like in my example, I had to keep the receipt for my computer but that's it. People get creative with it though. Like claiming tax back on a breakfast because you needed sustenance before a job interview and shit like that.

Those are the people who get audited. When it's like 'hud on a minty'... why do you want tax back on a bagel?

I find this amazing, hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.