aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Small talk in shops really does my head in. Since I am a regular customer at my local Spar, I have a familiarity with some of the staff there, which is fine. I've got a weird nodding relationship with the security guard now, I did the friendly nod at him once (probably a year ago) and he did it back, so now that's me forever. It would be rude to stop nodding at him anymore. I've also inadvertantly had a recent conversation with a staff member about the pros and cons of deodorants and anti-persperants. I know the guy was just trying to be friendly, but I can't be doing with this inane kind of chat, it's so uncomfortable. People just aren't for me.

Chatting with people you don't know very well can be painful. Especially if your first instance of small talk involves a particular subject. From that moment on, they think you are totally all about that subject. It is the go-to subject. If you don't stop it before it starts, it can get out of hand.

I don't really communicate with my boss all that often, but after one bout of small talk when I first started in the job, his immediate go-to subject became cricket. Nearly 3 years down the line, every time I'm in the printer queue, or making a coffee at the same time as him, he brings up cricket. He is well versed in cricket. Me on the other hand, I can probably name a maximum of 6 cricketers, past and present.

Most of the time, it's easy to brush it off. Pretend to be a very, very casual cricket follower at the most. But, as you may know, The Ashes have just been happening. That's a big deal it seems. You can't be so casual a cricket follower that you ignore The Ashes. It's like the Superbowl of Cricket. He was absolutely bananas for The Ashes. It's probably about time I fessed up at this point, and say that I think cricket is bloody awful. But I didn't. I just avoided him for about a month. Seriously. The Ashes lasted forever.

Fucking Cricket, man.

• Upvote 1

I have a similar situation with a guy in my office with tattoos. Because I've had one tattoo done in Dublin this young lad in my office thinks I'm like an oracle of Dublin tattooists and all things tattoo related. Every time I get stuck next to him it's another conversation about where he should go to get his stupid harp thing done and a list of all the places his mates have gone to and what they've had done, sometimes backed up with pictures. I dread bumping into him.

EDIT - by Dublin I of course mean Poland. Sorry for the confusion.

Fuck that's shit. Any further developments?

Aye 3 cars stolen in BOD on sat night, my folks car was involved in a car chase with the police before they totalled it into a wall, arrested a 14 year old and 16 year old so far. Pricks also stole my old mans personal lap top, his work laptop, my mums bag with all her money and photos of me and my brother in it, they only recovered the bag, found her glasses half way down our street smashed. So mum is stranded in the house that was just burgled, unable to see properly, with no money and no car just shitting herself. All in all a wonderful experience for us all.

Aye 3 cars stolen in BOD on sat night, my folks car was involved in a car chase with the police before they totalled it into a wall, arrested a 14 year old and 16 year old so far. Pricks also stole my old mans personal lap top, his work laptop, my mums bag with all her money and photos of me and my brother in it, they only recovered the bag, found her glasses half way down our street smashed. So mum is stranded in the house that was just burgled, unable to see properly, with no money and no car just shitting herself. All in all a wonderful experience for us all.

Bleedin' hell. I was reading about that car chase at the weekend. Swerving about the narrow streets of Berryden allegedly.

Shite news. Were the stolen goods not recovered when the kids were arrested?

Bleedin' hell. I was reading about that car chase at the weekend. Swerving about the narrow streets of Berryden allegedly.

Shite news. Were the stolen goods not recovered when the kids were arrested?

Aye they went hammering through town apparently, 8 cop cars involved at one point. I havent had the full ins and outs from my old man yet just my mums non stop crying version, ill speak to him the night and find out more. They wouldnt have been able to do anything with his work computer but destroy it, its heavily guarded with security, you need a code that changes every minute to access it so he wasnt really bothered about that, BT will replace it, but his personal one was brand new and obviously mums stuff was private. Like i say they found her bag in the car, but nothing in it. The little shits actually put petrol into the fucking car using her money, she had enough left in it to get to Tesco, in Danestone and they went joy riding for hours in it, so they must have actually stopped at a petrol station. Mum and dad only found out because the Police called the house to say their car was spotted driving erratically through town.

All the stuff is just stuff, it can be replaced easily enough, except the photos of us as kids obviously, but its the fact these people were in their house, whilst they were sleeping thats really got to mum. Its going to take her a long time to get over that.

Pet hate: the fat cunt who kept trying to hack me in 5s last night

Im all for playing hard and am probably guilty of going in with a bit too much enthusiasm than most in my casual league. I also never complain if someone fouls me. However, this sly twat had a little revenge in him the whole game and I had a go at him on a few occassions after he tried to belly check me. Then he goes 'scottish eh?' And mumbles something related to my being scottish (he was a benidorm pub landlord looking english guy desperately trying to recapture his youth playing in a league with 20 year olds). I called him a cunt and got sent off. Ive never understood why some english people think pointing out youre scottish is an insult.

• Upvote 1

Pet hate: the fat cunt who kept trying to hack me in 5s last night

Im all for playing hard and am probably guilty of going in with a bit too much enthusiasm than most in my casual league. I also never complain if someone fouls me. However, this sly twat had a little revenge in him the whole game and I had a go at him on a few occassions after he tried to belly check me. Then he goes 'scottish eh?' And mumbles something related to my being scottish (he was a benidorm pub landlord looking english guy desperately trying to recapture his youth playing in a league with 20 year olds). I called him a cunt and got sent off. Ive never understood why some english people think pointing out youre scottish is an insult.

If you're going to get sent off at least do it for punching the twat...

[only kidding - violence is not cool]

Copy and pasted from my facebook feed. Some good old JakeBassist stuff here. all of it 100% true.

So, I was doing my morning piss when I woke up today when I needed to fart. So I let rip. All of a sudden, more liquid was coming out my arse than my cock. I finished my piss as my arsehole leaked, turned around and sat down to finish whatever was going on. I looked down and saw a brown puddle on the floor and some very stained boxers. I showered, threw my boxers in the bin, and started getting ready. All of a sudden round two began. Luckily I got to the toilet in time.

• Upvote 2

I seem to recall a few pages of this thread a couple of months ago discussing colleagues with useless computer skills. Just wanted to add that a colleague of mine tried to fix a lost internet connection this morning by switching her monitor on and off. Imagine my surprise when she switched the monitor back on and it still didn't work.

I seem to recall a few pages of this thread a couple of months ago discussing colleagues with useless computer skills. Just wanted to add that a colleague of mine tried to fix a lost internet connection this morning by switching her monitor on and off. Imagine my surprise when she switched the monitor back on and it still didn't work.

Excellent. Reminds me of this

2iqzrrm.jpg

Chancers. Walking home up Rosemount last night at about 10pm, carrying my guitar and amp. Heavy. This shady looking lad spies me and crosses the road torwards me. He gives me some shite about how he's needing a lift off his Dad, but his phone is out of battery, and he wants a go on mine. From the getgo, it seems pretty obvious that he's going to leg it as soon as I hand it over, and what could I do, with a guitar on my back, lugging an amp that weighs about 3 stone? I tell him I've got no credit. I'm on contract, but he doesn't know that. He starts to bang on about "but it's a freephone number". Who's he ringing? The Samaritans? It all sounded shady, and I thought I was going to get cut open. To appease him, and to attempt the prevent a stabbing, I offered him 50p and pointed towards the phonebox. He took it whilst sounding as ungrateful as possible, and walked in the opposite direction to the phonebox. Obviously not that urgent of a phonecall, eh?

In situations like this, I'd love to carry a decoy phone. Something from 10+ years ago, with a screw-in antenna and a green gameboy screen. I'd like to see his face, thinking he's getting his mitts on a smartphone, and I pull out an antique. But maybe he'd cotton on and stab me in the neck.

Maybe I should have just thrown my amp at him, Donkey Kong style.

• Upvote 4

Reminds me of a few years ago, maybe 2009 or so I was on a coach from Aberdeen to Fraserburgh, pretty close to full. This junkie looking guy at the front stands up and turns round to the whole coach and says "I've got an urgent call I need to make. Does anybody have a phone I can borrow?" Silence. "Come on I'll even give you a pound for the call". Silence. "An entire bus full of folk and not one person has a mobile phone?" Silence. Cue muttering about fucking snobby cunts as he sits back down.

Chancers. Walking home up Rosemount last night at about 10pm, carrying my guitar and amp. Heavy. This shady looking lad spies me and crosses the road torwards me. He gives me some shite about how he's needing a lift off his Dad, but his phone is out of battery, and he wants a go on mine. From the getgo, it seems pretty obvious that he's going to leg it as soon as I hand it over, and what could I do, with a guitar on my back, lugging an amp that weighs about 3 stone? I tell him I've got no credit. I'm on contract, but he doesn't know that. He starts to bang on about "but it's a freephone number". Who's he ringing? The Samaritans? It all sounded shady, and I thought I was going to get cut open. To appease him, and to attempt the prevent a stabbing, I offered him 50p and pointed towards the phonebox. He took it whilst sounding as ungrateful as possible, and walked in the opposite direction to the phonebox. Obviously not that urgent of a phonecall, eh?

In situations like this, I'd love to carry a decoy phone. Something from 10+ years ago, with a screw-in antenna and a green gameboy screen. I'd like to see his face, thinking he's getting his mitts on a smartphone, and I pull out an antique. But maybe he'd cotton on and stab me in the neck.

Maybe I should have just thrown my amp at him, Donkey Kong style.

Lesson here is: Always come out for post practice pints.