aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Id say it was only slightly bigger than myspace, and id say it was the generation thats responsible for that. Folk just a few years older than me took no interest on social networking, but absolutely everyone i know has it now.

PH: The term retail therapy and such like. I hate most people who consider themselves stressed. Mostly because they aren't. Who you have uni exams? well is that not what your fucking there for? to study? to get educated? Oh wait of course not, you just want to live the student lifestyle, go out and get wasted and work for maybe a month or two of the entire year.

I worked full time last year on top of studying, and when had shit loads of exams and essays i just got on with it in the time i had, my flatmate didn't work at all, but when he had a few essays, he complained about being stressed and painfully obvious faked ill. People have real problems, they are allowed to get stressed, pretty much anyone below the edge of 25 can get fucked if they cant give a reason other than uni sucks and life's hard.

Sometimes uni can just be stressful though! At the moment I'm 9-5pm Monday-Friday on my dissertation project (it's a medical science project so sadly not all writing like some) then working 23 hours a week on top of that. Friday was my first day off in over a month. Maybe the pet hate should just be people in the first couple of years whingeing about the workload. I can't say I've ever met someone who had a genuinely heavy workload in uni, that wasn't their fault for choosing way more modules than they had to.

Pet hate -> Cathouse in Glasgow. Or more specifically the staff there.

Guest idol_wild
Making cheese on toast and only noticing the bread was mouldy after the cheese is already melted.

I still ate it

That's okay, it just means you saved having to shell out on Danish Blue. :up:

Steam. it's a system seemingly designed to entirely enfuriate and frustrate you when you just want to play a game. all bloody evening i've been trying to play football manager but steam keeps saying it's updating, can't connect, or that another version is already running(fuck knows where though, it doesn't appear anywhere!). why should it be so hard? I have the game, the disc is in the machine! whatever happened to popping a disc in and playing the game?

fucking steam.

With you there, I haven't been able to play the new football manager since the middle of December when Steam did an update patch. It's completely bollocked up the game, it loads alright but always crashes after the next match, producing a crash dump. Tried reverting to the old patch but same thing happens. Keep going to the SI forums and the moderators haven't a clue how to fix it, have just about given up now. Loads of people having the same problem as me, pretty sure the blame lies with Steam as it was working perfectly fine until the new updated patch.

With you there, I haven't been able to play the new football manager since the middle of December when Steam did an update patch. It's completely bollocked up the game, it loads alright but always crashes after the next match, producing a crash dump. Tried reverting to the old patch but same thing happens. Keep going to the SI forums and the moderators haven't a clue how to fix it, have just about given up now. Loads of people having the same problem as me, pretty sure the blame lies with Steam as it was working perfectly fine until the new updated patch.

If your sure it's steam that's the problem why don't you just launch it without steam. It doesn't need steam to run once it's been activated.

If your sure it's steam that's the problem why don't you just launch it without steam. It doesn't need steam to run once it's been activated.

I tried that but my graphics card won't support the game so thus it won't work, bit rubbish on the technicalities of computer gaming though.

Two things to try if you haven't yet:

Certain Steam issues may be corrected by renaming the ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam.

Completely exit from the Steam client.

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).

Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.

Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.

Verify Your Game Cache Files

Do not run this process while performing other system-intensive processes, such as defragmenting your hard drive or scanning for viruses.

Do not run this process for multiple games at the same time.

If you have problems with missing models, video artifacts (purple and black checkerboards) or unexpected crashes during single-player games and missions, please follow the steps below to use Steam's Verify integrity of game cache... feature to identify and replace corrupted Steam cache files.

1-Load Steam

2-From the My Games tab, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.

3-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

4-Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

5-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

I'm not sure that makes sense... if it can run through steam your graphics does support it.

Where are you launching the game from without steam?

I don't get that either, when I've tried to play the game without Steam I use the CR Rom. And when I tried to run the demo it wouldn't work either. Have given up tbh!

surely yet more reason to hate steam. why the fuck should anyone have to do that shit? why doesn't it just fucking work like it's meant to?!

You shouldn't need to. Steam has always been fine with me.

Try what's below.

doesn't it? i've tried nothing happens when you put the disc in and if you go to the folder it just has an uninstall.

C / program files / steam / steamapps / common

All your steam games should be in there, locate the football manger folder and run the .exe. No need to use steam after activation if you have problems with it.

Seen loads of stuff on the forums about deleting cache files etc but all above my head. Not unreasonable to expect a game that previously worked to keep on working!

Follow the steps above and see if it works, they're pretty straightforward - the first one is essentially renaming a file, the second you just right click on the game in Steam and click something in the menu.

Follow the steps above and see if it works, they're pretty straightforward - the first one is essentially renaming a file, the second you just right click on the game in Steam and click something in the menu.

Will give it a go, a looks a bit more idiot proof than what the mods on the SI forum tell you to do!

All your steam games should be in there, locate the football manger folder and run the .exe. No need to use steam after activation if you have problems with it.

Also when you find it, you can right-click-drag it onto your desktop and hit 'Create shortcut here' so it's there FOREVER (or until you delete it).

Sometimes uni can just be stressful though! At the moment I'm 9-5pm Monday-Friday on my dissertation project (it's a medical science project so sadly not all writing like some) then working 23 hours a week on top of that. Friday was my first day off in over a month. Maybe the pet hate should just be people in the first couple of years whingeing about the workload. I can't say I've ever met someone who had a genuinely heavy workload in uni, that wasn't their fault for choosing way more modules than they had to.

Pet hate -> Cathouse in Glasgow. Or more specifically the staff there.

Definitely agree, there should be no moaning in 1st year and if you fail then you're just not ready for uni. I've found working full-time and 3rd year is utter hell, the amount of reading and researching topics leaves you drained and we have massive essays to hand in every 3 weeks as well as an experiment. So it's no more 35/40 hour weeks and hello student shifts :down: 1st and 2nd year were piss easy compared to this.

You shouldn't need to. Steam has always been fine with me.

Try what's below.

hmm, doesn't work. running the exe from there it still tries to load steam which is still freezing while updating. fucknuts.

Also when you find it, you can right-click-drag it onto your desktop and hit 'Create shortcut here' so it's there FOREVER (or until you delete it).

Just tried what you posted which was nice and del proof just waiting for it to validate the steam files so fingers crossed! believe it when i see it though had a couple of false dawns!