aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest Gladstone
The word Gazumped. Is this a word made up purely just for situations like this or has it existed prior to the Internet being upmtombed?

Upmtombed is my made up zing word for something being made for the Internet.

No idea of the origins of the word, but it's used in property sales in the English system. You can (or certainly used to be able to) "gazump" a house sale at the last minute in England. The system up here is somewhat different - once a deal's been signed (not just verbally agreed mind you), there's not much you can do to get out of it without leaving yourself open to getting sued.

No idea of the origins of the word, but it's used in property sales in the English system. You can (or certainly used to be able to) "gazump" a house sale at the last minute in England. The system up here is somewhat different - once a deal's been signed (not just verbally agreed mind you), there's not much you can do to get out of it without leaving yourself open to getting sued.

Except you don't actually sign anything until the very end for Scottish property sales. Isn't it once the missives are concluded that the deal is pretty much locked in? Which are all done by your solicitor without any signatures taking place.

I believe the origins came from when a certain Gary Ump beat someone to a property in a Bigsby / Adam like situation. The person who got outfoxed shouted " FUCKING GAZ UMP" and the rest is history.

1. People who queue at a checkout or cas machine for quite a while then when they get to the front fumble around for cards, cash, nectar card ect use the time wisely you fucking bint

2.advertisement catch phrases, dont use "Simples" or "calm down dear its only a commerical" unless you want me to beat you like a ginger stepchild

Guest Gladstone
Except you don't actually sign anything until the very end for Scottish property sales. Isn't it once the missives are concluded that the deal is pretty much locked in? Which are all done by your solicitor without any signatures taking place.

Nope. You sign missives - that's the deal sealed. Well, the actual buyer and seller don't sign the missives - their solicitors sign on their behalf. The deal is done by a series of letters between solicitors acting as agent on behalf of their clients. Offer and acceptance. If missives aren't completed you leave yourself open to the deal falling through.

The actual "Disposition" is the deed that is signed by the seller, "disposing" the property to the buyer.

[/lawyer spiel]

Nope. You sign missives - that's the deal sealed. Well, the actual buyer and seller don't sign the missives - their solicitors sign on their behalf. The deal is done by a series of letters between solicitors acting as agent on behalf of their clients. Offer and acceptance. If missives aren't completed you leave yourself open to the deal falling through.

The actual "Disposition" is the deed that is signed by the seller, "disposing" the property to the buyer.

[/lawyer spiel]

Aye, but the solicitor's sign them. The client doesn't sign anything until the very end of the process. When we bought our house my girlfriend was amazed that we didn't actually have to meet our solicitor or sign any papers until the money changed hands. Everything up until then was done on phone calls and trust between the solicitor and the client.

Guest Gladstone
Aye, but the solicitor's sign them. The client doesn't sign anything until the very end of the process. When we bought our house my girlfriend was amazed that we didn't actually have to meet our solicitor or sign any papers until the money changed hands. Everything up until then was done on phone calls and trust between the solicitor and the client.

That's what I just said. :)

(I'll send you a MASSIVE bill in the post ;))

That's what I just said. :)

Yeah I know, but I was making the distinction that, although the solicitor's sign the letters between themselves the clients they're selling/buying have just verbally instructed them to act. They haven't signed anything yet once the missives have concluded, without a client signature, the client is still held by the missives and liable should either side pull out of the deal. It's pretty much a verbal agreement, though there's probably a complicated legal explanation as to why it's not.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah I know, but I was making the distinction that, although the solicitor's sign the letters between themselves the clients they're selling/buying have just verbally instructed them to act. They haven't signed anything yet once the missives have concluded, without a client signature, the client is still held by the missives and liable should either side pull out of the deal. It's pretty much a verbal agreement, though there's probably a complicated legal explanation as to why it's not.

You should have signed something at the beginning (an "engagement letter" or something similar), which allows your solicitor to act on your behalf. The solicitor signing those letters on your behalf, is as if you signed it yourself really (so long as there's something like an engagement letter or retainer letter - different jargon depending on the solicitor!).

Guest Gladstone

I got reminded of one of my pet hates last night.

When you're at a football match and a fan insists on calling all the players by their first names as if they know them. The guy sat to my left last night called every single player by their first name. Some of them are new as well, so it's not as if he can even claim some sort of affinity to them having been watching them play week in week out for years.

The worst part was he called Samaras "George". Fuck, you might as well call him "Dod".

This can only be acceptable behaviour for the likes of our new defender Majstorovic, because for some reason it's hard to remember his name - we can just call him Dan because we're thick as fuck.

Guest Gladstone
Bestest.

Well that's ok then. You can call him Big Pete, but I couldn't because I don't know him. Not like my best mate and all round banter loving prankster, Joe.