aberdeen-music

Most Overrated Bands

Aaron_Robertson

Smashing Pumpkins - a couple of OK songs but I just don't get it.

Foo Fighters - First couple of albums were good but Dave Grohl has turned into someone I never thought he would when he was in Nirvana.

The Killers - Half the first album was good, the rest was pish and that has continued.

Tool - I don't get it.

Babyshambles - if it wasn't Pete Doherty's band this amateurish sounding cack would never be released.

Franz Ferdinand - 1 or 2 good songs then just shite.

Manic Street Preachers - basically sold out on all their own principles after 3 albums, everything since 'Everything Must Go' has been largely pointless, even that was going downhill but it does have more good tunes than bad.

Just out of interest, what principles do you think they sold out on?

Manic Street Preachers - basically sold out on all their own principles after 3 albums, everything since 'Everything Must Go' has been largely pointless, even that was going downhill but it does have more good tunes than bad.

Balls. Admittedly there is a quality differential between the Richey stuff and the post-Richey stuff, but they kinda needed to re-invent, their most recent album is an absolute cracker.

Foo Fighters - First couple of albums were good but Dave Grohl has turned into someone I never thought he would when he was in Nirvana.

Did you think he was like Peter Pan? The boy who wouldn't grow up?!

Foo Fighters are completely different to Nirvana. Grohl had his young days, now he's getting on a bit and I guess he wanted to make different music.

Did you think he was like Peter Pan? The boy who wouldn't grow up?!

Foo Fighters are completely different to Nirvana. Grohl had his young days, now he's getting on a bit and I guess he wanted to make different music.

I'm not talking about the change in musical style from Nirvana, Foo Fighters still make the occasional OK song, and the thought of them trying to duplicate Nirvana is horrific. It's more the insincere twaddle he spouts at gigs nowadays, it's the same patter no matter the location I always thought he would be a bit more spontaneous and genuine than that.

Seconded. I respect their contribution in music and they do have a lot of classic songs I like, but I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden ;)

That's exactly how i feel about them, aside from Maiden. I understand why so many people like them and what they contributed musically to their era and how they helped influence many other bands. I just think that they shouldn't be as revered as they are. They're ok. That's it though.

but they kinda needed to re-invent, their most recent album is an absolute cracker.

Bingo, they would have got even more stick if they'd just kept making carbon copies of the early stuff. The first three albums will always remain my favourites but they've released some fantastic stuff since then. Even Lifeblood which I consider my least favourite contains a couple of songs that I'd put up there with the best of their stuff.

Also the argument that they 'sold out' on their principles because they didn't split up after their first album is ridiculous, they also said it was going to sell more than Appetite For Destruction, I think there was always a fair amount of tongue in cheek in those statements.

I think Simon Price was bang on the money when he said 'they're still the same band, it's a soul thing'.

So the lesson is, if you are going to pick your bands you think are overrated, don't mention the Manics because some people are too precious about a band that became so mediocre after 4 albums and have to find excuses for them.

I was there when they started out, it didn't appear very tongue in cheek, they were full of shit and pretty much a joke to a lot of people. They then became slightly less ridiculous before turning into a dad rock band, which seemed to go against their whole ethos.

But of course this is my opinion if people want to worship them so be it....

• Upvote 1

- Pink Floyd (just cant get it at all?) iv tried so hard!)

hurray!!

just telling this to a friend yesterday. Well done!

However, it's hard to define over rated. If a band has talent, and makes a whole generation of people pick up a guitar or bass etc, and then they go on to make good music etc, does that make them over rated? I don't think so. Stone, Beatles, Oasis, all fall into the that group.

Muse for me is over rated

U2 - the same

Coldplay - more of the same.

Put my neck on the line....Dire Straits!!! ( apart from the first album)

Seconded. I respect their contribution in music and they do have a lot of classic songs I like, but I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden ;)

Have you not just contradicted yourself there? I respect their contribution in music and they do have a lot of classic songs I like. Music likes and dislikes are very subjective at the best of times,

Have you not just contradicted yourself there? I respect their contribution in music and they do have a lot of classic songs I like. Music likes and dislikes are very subjective at the best of times,

Not really. They have good songs and influenced a lot of people, but I'm not one of the people who think they were important and they certainly haven't influence me :up:

i think, with respect to the foos and suchlike, that rock has gone full circle and needs to regestate.

how many times can you go to see your favourite band, and feel like herded cattle?

watchin the old vids of the 90s, when alternative music first made money, was cool.

nirvana at reading, metallica in moscow etc.

but to be honest i dont wana drink crap beer from a plastic cup surrounded by other yumps whove had too many plastic beers yelping and clapping out of time to music that isnt in standard 4/4.

like a sheep.

with the foos-and 99% of big bands it is a SHOW, a JOB, and its boring.

but we like the flashy lights, makes us think were part of something important.

check your LOCAL scene.it may be shit but its YOUR personal experience that matters right?

.. . . . i am currently drinkin someone elses white wine ...

That's exactly how i feel about them, aside from Maiden. I understand why so many people like them and what they contributed musically to their era and how they helped influence many other bands. I just think that they shouldn't be as revered as they are. They're ok. That's it though.

Me too.

I dont understand when people say "oh if there was no beatles there would be no music nowadays"

Bollocks. Another band woulda came along and did the same thing IMO.

Me too.

I dont understand when people say "oh if there was no beatles there would be no music nowadays"

Bollocks. Another band woulda came along and did the same thing IMO.

because no one else did do it. the beatles did, hence why it is said.

Make no mistake about it, like them or not but the beatles were hugely important in shaping the way music has went, be it for the better or not.

So the lesson is, if you are going to pick your bands you think are overrated, don't mention the Manics because some people are too precious about a band that became so mediocre after 4 albums and have to find excuses for them.

I was there when they started out, it didn't appear very tongue in cheek, they were full of shit and pretty much a joke to a lot of people. They then became slightly less ridiculous before turning into a dad rock band, which seemed to go against their whole ethos.

But of course this is my opinion if people want to worship them so be it....

haha what a prime example of someone getting far to upset over nothing.

The manics didnt sell out, and as was said if you were so into their message you wouldnt have gone near any of the other albums.

its easy to sit on the fence and be critical.