aberdeen-music

Most Overrated Bands

Aaron_Robertson

Guest calumunderkills
IMO kings of leon and The killers are both over rated.

I've saw both live and heard their albums and just find them really boring... (with the exeption of the 1st killers album which was okay)

I really liked the first Killers album, but was hugely disappointed when I saw them at T in the Park a few years back. I went to Glasto last year and we decided to go and watch the Killers' set as there was a lot of hype about it. Have to say - they were about the best band of the weekend - totally unexpected. I didn't catch them at T in the Park last year as I went to see Brian Wilson (who was awesome!), but all my mates said the Killers were brilliant. That said, I've not really liked much they've released since the first album.

Kings of Leon are a strange band - I think about half of their stuff is amazing, but about half of the stuff on an album is a like you say a bit boring. The new album is pretty good though :up:

Got to disagree with those saying Muse are overrated - their AECC gig was about the best AECC gig there's been for years. You kind of have to be in the mood for listening to their albums, but if you are and you turn it up loud, it sounds great - but their live shows are what they are about, and they are quite simply brilliant live! I had tickets for Wembley but sold them cos I couldn't really afford the trip - saw it on TV or DVD or something recently, and I'm gutted I didn't just go for it... :down:

Guest calumunderkills
Elvis Presley.

Sorry, but he's not THAT good.

He was the original manufactured act. A good entertainer, but if he'd been ugly he'd never have made it...

That said, I do love a bit of Elvis :up:

Also Hard Fi - I can't believe someone gave them a record deal

I don't see how anyone would have any trouble believing that someone gave Hard-Fi a record deal.

Laddishness (particularly the Britpop style arrogance) + whinging about having to work (ohh gritty and working class) + moaning about CCTV and cash machines (ooh modern and therefore "relelvant", might even lead to some magazines calling them the embodiement of modern urban Britain) = records sold (to meatheads)!

U2 are overrated and shit.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers in my opinion are highly over rated... everytime i listen to them i cant stop thinking that i just dont get the joke. especially now adays, they are like a bunch of dads trying to dress ytoung and impress their kids mates, i feel embarassed for them just seing their videos.

U2 are overrated and shit.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers in my opinion are highly over rated... everytime i listen to them i cant stop thinking that i just dont get the joke. especially now adays, they are like a bunch of dads trying to dress ytoung and impress their kids mates, i feel embarassed for them just seing their videos.

They were good in the 80s and 90s when they were doing all the funk stuff, but everything from Californication onwards has been MOR poop.

I'm baffled that The Beatles have been mentioned.

Whatever next? Ramones? Nirvana? Ridiculous.

I think people are forgetting that alot of bands had a time and a place, and that music develops and evolves so quickly. The importance of the band in their prime is completely disregarded, and their music is just compared to contemporary copyists who have had the time and influence to develop what the predecessor had already done years and years ago.

The most annoying thing is bands who are shite but seem to be under the illusion that they're amazing. I'm thinking that tousle-haired, topless, wizard-shagging, skinny-jeaned twat from Razorlight. Also worthy of a mention in this category are The View and The Enemy.

Oh, and Richard Ashcroft who insists on producing total wank and billing it as earth-shattering. You've had your day mate, now piss off.

thinking that tousle-haired, topless, wizard-shagging, skinny-jeaned twat from Razorlight. Also worthy of a mention in this category are The View and The Enemy.

There's plenty more that can be added into the 'chav-indie' bracket.

The Twang. Oh dear God. Who on earth decided they should be allowed to produce 'music'?!?!

There's plenty more that can be added into the 'chav-indie' bracket.

The Twang. Oh dear God. Who on earth decided they should be allowed to produce 'music'?!?!

Never heard of them, the name is pish though. Oh, and who on god's green earth are One Night Only? I saw them on the highlights of the Leeds/Reading festival, with an absolutely packed tent singing every word. Needless to say, they were awful, sort of like the Kooks with 'attitoode'.

Guest calumunderkills

Agree with Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I don't get them at all.

The Beatles - I have to agree with Original Spies - one my favourite all time bands, and what they did for music in the 60s (along with a few other bands) was very very important at the time. The same with Nirvana in the early 90s.

Keane are gash. Although I like the fact they're trying to be less so and trying something a bit different from their first set of songs.

Here's another one. Kaiser Chiefs. They're a bit like Hard-Fi in that it's the sort of thing that will sell records, but they do my tits in.

The most annoying thing is bands who are shite but seem to be under the illusion that they're amazing. I'm thinking that tousle-haired, topless, wizard-shagging, skinny-jeaned twat from Razorlight. Also worthy of a mention in this category are The View and The Enemy.

That category is spearheaded by The Wombats. Easily.

Guest calumunderkills
Never heard of them, the name is pish though. Oh, and who on god's green earth are One Night Only? I saw them on the highlights of the Leeds/Reading festival, with an absolutely packed tent singing every word. Needless to say, they were awful, sort of like the Kooks with 'attitoode'.

I can't believe you've never heard of the Twang. You've escaped some horrible torture missing them - they are woeful!!

They were everywhere about a year or so ago - though I've not heard much about them since, thankfully :up:

I can't remember what their song was - but it was two guys doing a sort of Streets style sing/rap in a cockney accent - oh it was really really bad.

Another similar one is Just Jack. Sweet Jesus, I hate him.

There's one of their tunes I listen to whenever I need cheering up, "Either Way". Worth it for the guitar "solo" at the end and the "epic" bits. The lyrics are tip-top too ("wanna find my phone to tell yer, maybe even write you a love letter.". YAS) Ridiculously bad band, to a level I didn't think folk could even reach. They seem to have a wee fanbase and that though.

They have HEAPS of vinyl releases and almost every music shop I've ever been in has a large chunk of their output, sitting gathering dust. I might take pity one day...

Smashing Pumpkins - a couple of OK songs but I just don't get it.

Foo Fighters - First couple of albums were good but Dave Grohl has turned into someone I never thought he would when he was in Nirvana.

The Killers - Half the first album was good, the rest was pish and that has continued.

Tool - I don't get it.

Babyshambles - if it wasn't Pete Doherty's band this amateurish sounding cack would never be released.

Franz Ferdinand - 1 or 2 good songs then just shite.

Manic Street Preachers - basically sold out on all their own principles after 3 albums, everything since 'Everything Must Go' has been largely pointless, even that was going downhill but it does have more good tunes than bad.