aberdeen-music

I'm not a homophobe....

Re-reading most of that just made me very sad. I'm annoyed about most of my posts as well. 

I have to say I was a little surprised by some of your responses (no offence). Mainly just the fact you seemed to agree that there was a 'fad' aspect to homosexuality - which was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place. It seems a lot of people misunderstood the fact that relaxing attitudes and gay culture becoming more mainstream simply meant that they would come into contact with homosexuality more than they used to, rather than it being some sort of weird and sinister infiltration of gays into society.

Frosty killed it in this thread though.

I have to say I was a little surprised by some of your responses (no offence). Mainly just the fact you seemed to agree that there was a 'fad' aspect to homosexuality - which was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place. It seems a lot of people misunderstood the fact that relaxing attitudes and gay culture becoming more mainstream simply meant that they would come into contact with homosexuality more than they used to, rather than it being some sort of weird and sinister infiltration of gays into society.

I'm not particularly surprised.  I reckon that ten years ago I probably would have weighed in with some embarrassing neutral, enabling shite.

I was pretty surprised by my attitudes too. But then, ten years and a research degree where I read a lot of gender and sexuality based critical theory will make me a bit wiser that I was when I was 18 and just out to the world. I'm mostly upset by my (fairly obvious) attempt to distance myself from the more 'overt' and/or 'camp' gay type. Like Old Gold says, it's embarrassingly placating. As to the 'fad' aspect, what a load of horseshit. Sure, artists and musicians can jump on the bandwagon and be 'allies' (an awful word that leads to a lot of groaning when said in the presence of lgbt people due to the over-use and misapplication of the word) for gay rights and in general it's not a terrible thing at all. I'm not sure if the initial poster maybe didn't get the distinction between that and someone like Katy Perry's use of female sexuality for self-promotional purposes. In any event, what they said didn't make a lot of sense and seemed to confuse sexual orientation and gender presentation at points. Plus, who says sexuality has to be a hard and fast thing? I identify as a lesbian because I don't experience sexual or romantic attraction to men, but there are people who might think 'sure, lesbian' but then come to realise that their sexuality is more fluid than that.

I think I'm going off on a tangent here, but in short, sexual orientation isn't a 'lifestyle choice' which is what describing it as a 'fad' essentially boils down to. If you think it is then you're a fucking moron. Also, the amount of times I read the sentence "I'm not a homophobe, I've got gay mates, BUT..." made me see red. No sentence that starts that way is going to end in anything other than you making a remark that is, drumroll please, homophobic. 

• Upvote 4

Also, the amount of times I read the sentence "I'm not a homophobe, I've got gay mates, BUT..." made me see red. No sentence that starts that way is going to end in anything other than you making a remark that is, drumroll please, homophobic. 

I'm not a homophobe, I've got gay mates, BUT if I was I'd be a dunderheid.

• Upvote 1