aberdeen-music

Words of encouragement?

Kaizen

Um... yeah. Im moving up to aberdeen from edinburgh for uni start of next month. and ill definately be looking to play osme music while im there. Problem is... i come from edinburgh where the music scene is populated entirely by flying pigs... You know, bands can get away with being shit here because even if they are the worst in europe, they are still one of the best in edinburgh...

Now moving to aberdeen with its big uber music scene and so many good bands and stuff, does no one in the smaller bands kicking about aberdeen feel they are completely overshadowed by some of the talent that seems to have gathered there? Cant help but feel a 17 year old lad with a few mates on a stage and some crappy instruments (we r students... cant afford much) will just seem like a pisstake up there =P

Someone go n tell me im wrong! Haha!

Your age and the standard of your instruments shouldn't matter - what does matter is being ready to gig. If you practice enough so you can play your music confidently and competently, then you'll look competent and confident on stage. A lot of bands make the mistake of gigging too early, make lots of mistakes, have a bad gig experience and are put off. Practice until you can play your stuff backwards, forwards, upside down, and until you believe you are the best you can possbly be - then go for it.

Crappy instruments don't matter - as long as they sound alright (especially if they stay in tune) - talent and practice will shine through - on the flipside, you can have the best equipment in the world, but if you haven't got the talent and haven't put the practice in, then you'll sound rubbish.

Regards

Flossie

Um... yeah. Im moving up to aberdeen from edinburgh for uni start of next month. and ill definately be looking to play osme music while im there. Problem is... i come from edinburgh where the music scene is populated entirely by flying pigs... You know, bands can get away with being shit here because even if they are the worst in europe, they are still one of the best in edinburgh...

Now moving to aberdeen with its big uber music scene and so many good bands and stuff, does no one in the smaller bands kicking about aberdeen feel they are completely overshadowed by some of the talent that seems to have gathered there? Cant help but feel a 17 year old lad with a few mates on a stage and some crappy instruments (we r students... cant afford much) will just seem like a pisstake up there =P

Sometimes, I can't believe how lucky I am to live in a city with an uber music scene. ;)

But, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the quality of your instruments, just get some top drawer tunes in the bag. :)

big uber scene? overshadowed by talent? someone's been exaggerating to you!

You've nothing to worry about! Just have fun.

The best places I would say for a young band starting out would be places like Drummonds and The Tunnels who book younger bands for midweek gigs of 3/4 bands all the time. Kilau is a good shout for open mics so is The Globe and The Moorings. There is a new place called The Music Club and that has a nice 'music-y meeting place' kinda feel about it.

The thing I like about Aberdeen is that all the people that are into music all sorta help each other out, well in my experience they have anyway. Just get chatting to people and you will find your feet in no time.

Best wishes

jayne

Aye down in Edinburgh, most of the bands just hate each other and put each other down... I dont get it =S

Same here as well I'm afraid.

Thats just from my own experience.

Aberdeen doesnt have that great a "scene" imo, someones been exaggerating to you. Though the fact you want to come up here and make music is a good thing because thats what this place needs.

Cover Your Mouth/Deenfest, what's the difference? The gigs are catering to the same old underagers, in the same old venues, using the same old bands...really, there's no difference at all, they're still promoting to people that like their music and fashion to mix.

(Having said this, they used to do a great job of getting people through the door)

Cover Your Mouth/Deenfest, what's the difference? The gigs are catering to the same old underagers, in the same old venues, using the same old bands...really, there's no difference at all, they're still promoting to people that like their music and fashion to mix.

(Having said this, they used to do a great job of getting people through the door)

Surely 'same old underagers' doesn't really make sense, given that underages y'know, grow up...

I'd say that the vast majority of music is associated with some sort of fashion/style too, for better or worse.

Was that meant to be a dig at underagers... Cos i know a couple of amazing bands where the guys are all 16/17. Infact the best drummer I've ever met is only 16. He has a big fringe and wears skinny jeans and tank tops. Still a great musician and a great guy. Dont see why fashion should effect peoples opinion of the music anyway...

Guest funkeebassman

you'll only be disappointed in the Aberdeen "nonscene" .full of time wasters and peeps who think they are the best thing since skirlie and are only to eager to diss you behind your back!this shit ain't changed in 20 years....lol :0)

aberdeen used to be what you described, however now I find it ever more cliquey and bitchy. Personally I try and stay as far away from the snide as possible. But being in a band that "the cool people" hate it's difficult.

We compensate by only playing aberdeen a few times a year!!

as for Deenfest promo (not the individual "deenfest" show) i can't think of a better group in aberdeen who get people through the door. which, surely, is all you want/expect from a "promotions" company. Whether you like the bands they put on or not is moot. If people are going to the gig, then obviously there is a demand for it, ergo they were correct in the first place to book them.

And before anyone mentions it it's not like they make a lot (if any!!) money from it. I do know this for a FACT. (last few shows all made a loss / only broke even by not paying the local bands)

As for Deenfest show itself, I quite enjoyed it. And get on well with the bands that played and all in all had a good day. wasn't as busy as they had liked (hence making a loss) but still was a good day!

• Upvote 1