aberdeen-music

Words of encouragement?

Kaizen

hey at the end of the day, out of those two gigs we got 4 songs recorded to a very high standard, two new guitar amps, a roland electric piano my snare and a few other bits and bobs, to me that was worth playing two of the worst gigs in history in jumpin jacks.

Money doesnt matter when your talking getting paid 30 or not for a support slot, but when your looking at 4000 it changes a bit, a band can do a lot for themselves with that kind of money. I very much doubt there are many bands who can afford to say no thanks to 4000 no matter what gig you have to play.

Just for the record anyway, i never entered the band into those gigs and it was a majority vote to play them from within the band.

couldn't disagree more with that.

when you're on the road, that 30 is a lifeline!! it means you can get to the next show!! Vans that are weighed down by gear and people (and being cheap and old i.e. inefficient) fucking DRINK diesel like it's going out of fashion!!

In my experience that 30-50 every night over a week or 2 can make the difference between a band managing to stay afloat or have to cancel the rest of a tour because members can't afford to pay for petrol as well as living costs etc.

I'm not trying to rubbish the battle of the bands thing. Two rubbish gigs for 4k sounds like a great deal! And like you say, the money can help the band in the long run which is definitely a good thing.

But playing 50 gigs a year for 50 is 2500...

ill quote you but this goes to tooms as well.

I was talking about local bands doing support slots, nothing to do with touring, obviously when your on the road that 30 will make a huge difference to how your going to fianacially support your band, thats part of the reason in my first post i said there is time to make money, and obviously that is the time. But as far as im concerned on a loca level, making 30 is no big deal, yes you have to pay for practise but you'd have to long before you decided to gig, that was your choice to get involved knowing the costs, it doesnt suddenly become hugely more expensive to be in a band once you start doing local gigs.

As for the battle of the bands thing, you are right they are rubbish but as i say that kind of money does make a difference and in the right hands could really help a band ;make a big push. (or in our case buy us lots of new things :D )

Coming from someone who has never toured or had that much ambition to get your music heard outwith "your mates" I see why you think like this. That isnt meant to be a dig at all it is just amazing what a difference being paid a little something like 30 can make to a band who have quite alot of costs wether it be a show on tour or a show in your hometown.

nice try ben, come again tho.

ill quote you but this goes to tooms as well.

I was talking about local bands doing support slots, nothing to do with touring, obviously when your on the road that 30 will make a huge difference to how your going to fianacially support your band, thats part of the reason in my first post i said there is time to make money, and obviously that is the time. But as far as im concerned on a loca level, making 30 is no big deal, yes you have to pay for practise but you'd have to long before you decided to gig, that was your choice to get involved knowing the costs, it doesnt suddenly become hugely more expensive to be in a band once you start doing local gigs.

As for the battle of the bands thing, you are right they are rubbish but as i say that kind of money does make a difference and in the right hands could really help a band ;make a big push. (or in our case buy us lots of new things :D )

fair enough, but I find that even when we play local shows (ok we're don't look for 50!) but something would help because we still need to use a van to get to the gig. and we often supply a lot of the backline, and I am of the opinion that anyone providing backline should be helped out a little!

on one occaison (and I stress once, as I never did it again!) we were getting sick of people using and - whilst not necessarily abusing - not looking after our gear (backline). So i went up to the 3 other bands and asked if they could fork out 5 total per band (as in 1 per band member) for essentially the "hire" of 3 cabs and a drum kit. The sheer look of disgust and contempt I was greeted with was actually staggering. Personally I thought that was a fucking bargain!! You try hiring a good drum kit or a 4x12 speaker cabinet for 1!! You'd be laughed out of the place. But like i said was greeted with such anger after this request that I never bothered again.

So a little bit of money wouldn't go a miss, when providing backline, IMO. I don't think some people understand how much it costs to reskin a drum kit...for example.

fair enough, but I find that even when we play local shows (ok we're don't look for 50!) but something would help because we still need to use a van to get to the gig. and we often supply a lot of the backline, and I am of the opinion that anyone providing backline should be helped out a little!

on one occaison (and I stress once, as I never did it again!) we were getting sick of people using and - whilst not necessarily abusing - not looking after our gear (backline). So i went up to the 3 other bands and asked if they could fork out 5 total per band (as in 1 per band member) for essentially the "hire" of 3 cabs and a drum kit. The sheer look of disgust and contempt I was greeted with was actually staggering. Personally I thought that was a fucking bargain!! You try hiring a good drum kit or a 4x12 speaker cabinet for 1!! You'd be laughed out of the place. But like i said was greeted with such anger after this request that I never bothered again.

So a little bit of money wouldn't go a miss, when providing backline, IMO. I don't think some people understand how much it costs to reskin a drum kit...for example.

your right up to a point but if you choose to provide the backline that is your responsibility to get it there and home and you have to expect wear and tear. But at the same time i do agree people take things like that forgranted on gig nights, the first day i got my slingerland we were playing in inverness and the drummer from the support band didnt even have his own sticks, he just expected to be able to use all my gear, needless to say i wasnt best pleased.

As for the charging thing, if i was gonna do that i would have it set up before hand, but to me it does actually sound like a good idea.

Yes, but what i was getting at is that we rarely "choose" to provide the backline for other people. it just happens that way cos the other bands either don't have backline and/or the sound guy doesnt want to do changes.

the latter is understandable if there is a strict curfew etc.

but for the former. if a band member has an amp say, but no cab, i think they should EXPECT to pay for the privelage of borrowing a cab. I think most people would be very pleased if a (let's say) young chap came up and said, "i don't have my own cab, but wondered if I gave you a few pounds I could borrow yours"!

I'm more than happy to let bands use my gear (or was rather) - But then i started getting pissed off about loading in and out myself and not even getting a thanks.

So fuck the other bands, they dont get to touch my ampeg unless the physically ask (immensely nicely and load out or even a bloody thank you. its amazing how many bands dont even say thanks), even then id expect something worth while back. Besides its me who's forked out 1000 plus on gear - i dont want some band trashing it.

Yes, but what i was getting at is that we rarely "choose" to provide the backline for other people. it just happens that way cos the other bands either don't have backline and/or the sound guy doesnt want to do changes.

the latter is understandable if there is a strict curfew etc.

but for the former. if a band member has an amp say, but no cab, i think they should EXPECT to pay for the privelage of borrowing a cab. I think most people would be very pleased if a (let's say) young chap came up and said, "i don't have my own cab, but wondered if I gave you a few pounds I could borrow yours"!

hmmm, while i get the reasoning i think it'd be far better if they just treated borrowed equipment with some respect. they should also assume nothing and get contact details for other bands on the bill or ask them at soundcheck very politely if they can borrow their amps.

hmmm, while i get the reasoning i think it'd be far better if they just treated borrowed equipment with some respect. they should also assume nothing and get contact details for other bands on the bill or ask them at soundcheck very politely if they can borrow their amps.

I feel this is better. I would rather tell someone flat out "no I dont want you using my hard earned gear" than "you can use my gear if you give me money".

well yes, in an ideal world you're right. but bands/people just don't do that. not the majority anyway.

on several occaisons i have indeed said to other band members no you can't use our gear. Though in fairness this has usually been cheeky fucks trying to borrow amps not cabs.

any joker going to PLAY a gig, and goes to said gig without the equipment to play the gig, deserves a punch in the neck and a kick in the groin in my opinion.

Furthermore, whilst you can still treat a drum kit with care, you still have to hit it! the more people that "you" let play on it, the quicker you have to reskin it.

Especially if you use your kit to both tour and record, like I do. I haven't quite got enough to have two kits. I will do soon. And then I will be less fussy with my touring kit (especially as by then I'll be triggering my toms anyway! :-))

just quickly going back to the battle of the bands point, My old band did a battle of the bands once. The prizes wernt that great and we knew we wouldnt win anyway. Apart from the fact that some of the other bands were probably more talented than us, we were also, by far, the heaviest band there and we knew tht wouldnt go down well with the "judges". The reason we decided to go for it anyway, was that we knew we would be playing to a nice new crowd of people that had never heard of us before and thus get our name out a little more. This is exactly what happened. One of the judges said "Too heavy for my taste" and another said "heaviest thing since cannible corpse" (which i totally disagree with by the way...) but, regardless, we had a bunch of people come up to us afterwards that we had never seen before and tell us they really liked our stuff. So all around it wasnt a bad deal. And i had a bloody great time =)

just quickly going back to the battle of the bands point, My old band did a battle of the bands once. The prizes wernt that great and we knew we wouldnt win anyway. Apart from the fact that some of the other bands were probably more talented than us, we were also, by far, the heaviest band there and we knew tht wouldnt go down well with the "judges". The reason we decided to go for it anyway, was that we knew we would be playing to a nice new crowd of people that had never heard of us before and thus get our name out a little more. This is exactly what happened. One of the judges said "Too heavy for my taste" and another said "heaviest thing since cannible corpse" (which i totally disagree with by the way...) but, regardless, we had a bunch of people come up to us afterwards that we had never seen before and tell us they really liked our stuff. So all around it wasnt a bad deal. And i had a bloody great time =)

Gary Glitter enjoys molesting kids... doesn't mean it's a good idea though. :)

• Upvote 1

not exactly a fair point there dan... haha! When gary glitter molests kids, someone loses out (namely the kids).

Maybe the kids enjoyed it though? You're assuming that they didn't have a good time because it was morally deplorable. Basically they whored themselves out to a seedy man, and ended up with a couple of thousand pounds. I don't see how it's any different to a battle of the bands!

(my initial post was actually purely for comedy's sake, but the more I think about it...:D)