aberdeen-music

Words of encouragement?

Kaizen

just want to head back a bit to the stuff about the "deenfest style" bands!

it is absolute bollocks about the bands sounding the same...even to the untrained ear.

It wasnt a hardcore show or a metal show or an indie show or whatever.

It was a modern music show and thats it.

There was a huge variety of styles on that bill.

Like someone said, it was hardly REM and Cradle of Filth. Which is fair to say.

Modern music is the supidest term I've ever heard. Does it change name with age? Its like defining a type of music by calling it "the in thing"

i agree with Scott's point from earlier.

basically if you're a promoter, putting on say...2 out of town bands and 2 locals (to try and pull in the people) and say you want to pay the locals 30 each (a reasonable amount I feel) and then maybe the 2 travelling bands 150 between them. then in my opinion the promoter should go to that gig with 210 in his hands. so he can pay the bands right away.

then any money off the door is his. and if he has done his job he will get more than 42 people through the door (5 to get in) and he will break even.

However, I think most "local" bands will except that sometimes if it is a bad turnout then they won't get paid. this keeps the promoter in business and hopefully that band will get put on a show next time and WILL get paid. but in this instance the bands with a guarantee (i.e. any band who is travelling) should still def. get paid. So he should go to the venue with 150.

i agree with Scott's point from earlier.

basically if you're a promoter, putting on say...2 out of town bands and 2 locals (to try and pull in the people) and say you want to pay the locals 30 each (a reasonable amount I feel) and then maybe the 2 travelling bands 150 between them. then in my opinion the promoter should go to that gig with 210 in his hands. so he can pay the bands right away.

then any money off the door is his. and if he has done his job he will get more than 42 people through the door (5 to get in) and he will break even.

However, I think most "local" bands will except that sometimes if it is a bad turnout then they won't get paid. this keeps the promoter in business and hopefully that band will get put on a show next time and WILL get paid. but in this instance the bands with a guarantee (i.e. any band who is travelling) should still def. get paid. So he should go to the venue with 150.

fo sho, much respec fo tha possee who is postin dis point. i is seein it much times in dis thread and recognisin the feelin.

i have no explanation why i've typed it like this but now that it's done i'm going to unleash it into the thread and let the point stand. i concur. muckle.

so basically "deenfest" = loads of screamo emo type bands yeah?

As for the money thing i dont really see the big issue, we turned down money on many an occasion due to it being a poor gig or something else had happened. If your in a band as a hobbie you do so at your own cost, if you get some money along the way to help you your lucky. Do people really think they deserve a heap of money for getting up for half an hour in front of their mates?

There is plenty time to make money, just go out and have some fun playing live music.

• Upvote 1

If your in a band as a hobbie you do so at your own cost, if you get some money along the way to help you your lucky. Do people really think they deserve a heap of money for getting up for half an hour in front of their mates?

There is plenty time to make money, just go out and have some fun playing live music.

Well said that man.

so basically "deenfest" = loads of screamo emo type bands yeah?.

Not really. I think out of the 9 bands on that bill, only All Stations Down and Flood Of Red would fit that category...

As for the money thing i dont really see the big issue, we turned down money on many an occasion due to it being a poor gig or something else had happened. If your in a band as a hobbie you do so at your own cost, if you get some money along the way to help you your lucky. Do people really think they deserve a heap of money for getting up for half an hour in front of their mates?

Didn't you enter a battle-of-the-band competition?!? The least dignifying gig on the planet, but at least there is a potential pot of gold at the end of it...

Not really. I think out of the 9 bands on that bill, only All Stations Down and Flood Of Red would fit that category...

hmm from what ive heard from a lot of the bands its the same shit.

Didn't you enter a battle-of-the-band competition?!? The least dignifying gig on the planet, but at least there is a potential pot of gold at the end of it...

yeah so that fits in with us being lucky to get money back for our efforts.

It may not have been the most dignifying gig but i got to buy a slingerland radioking with my share so i guess im slightly better off for it...

yeah so that fits in with us being lucky to get money back for our efforts.

It may not have been the most dignifying gig but i got to buy a slingerland radioking with my share so i guess im slightly better off for it...

The only good thing about battle of the bands is potential money. Didn't you say you hated playing those gigs at the time?!

There just seems to be a lot of inconsistency between you saying that money doesn't matter and that you should play gigs for fun... after playing horrible gigs for the sole purpose of money.

The only good thing about battle of the bands is potential money. Didn't you say you hated playing those gigs at the time?!

There just seems to be a lot of inconsistency between you saying that money doesn't matter and that you should play gigs for fun... after playing horrible gigs for the sole purpose of money.

hey at the end of the day, out of those two gigs we got 4 songs recorded to a very high standard, two new guitar amps, a roland electric piano my snare and a few other bits and bobs, to me that was worth playing two of the worst gigs in history in jumpin jacks.

Money doesnt matter when your talking getting paid 30 or not for a support slot, but when your looking at 4000 it changes a bit, a band can do a lot for themselves with that kind of money. I very much doubt there are many bands who can afford to say no thanks to 4000 no matter what gig you have to play.

Just for the record anyway, i never entered the band into those gigs and it was a majority vote to play them from within the band.

hey at the end of the day, out of those two gigs we got 4 songs recorded to a very high standard, two new guitar amps, a roland electric piano my snare and a few other bits and bobs, to me that was worth playing two of the worst gigs in history in jumpin jacks.

Money doesnt matter when your talking getting paid 30 or not for a support slot, but when your looking at 4000 it changes a bit, a band can do a lot for themselves with that kind of money. I very much doubt there are many bands who can afford to say no thanks to 4000 no matter what gig you have to play.

Just for the record anyway, i never entered the band into those gigs and it was a majority vote to play them from within the band.

Coming from someone who has never toured or had that much ambition to get your music heard outwith "your mates" I see why you think like this. That isnt meant to be a dig at all it is just amazing what a difference being paid a little something like 30 can make to a band who have quite alot of costs wether it be a show on tour or a show in your hometown.

In my experience that 30-50 every night over a week or 2 can make the difference between a band managing to stay afloat or have to cancel the rest of a tour because members can't afford to pay for petrol as well as living costs etc.

I'm not trying to rubbish the battle of the bands thing. Two rubbish gigs for 4k sounds like a great deal! And like you say, the money can help the band in the long run which is definitely a good thing.

But playing 50 gigs a year for 50 is 2500...