aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

its tighter than a ducks arse down at the arse end of the premiershit as baffled managers try and get their overpaid prima donna foreign imports to battle against the drop. west brom, middlesboro and newcastle to be playing at the likes of ipswich, doncaster and QPR next season although maybe newcastle might get themselves out of the shit at the expense of hull who seem to be in total freefall right now.

That is what i've been thinking over the last few weeks. Hull can't seem to win for love nor money at the moment. Whilst Newcastle have Chelsea next, after this they have a run of three or four games where there is potential to pick up points. Definately not looking forward to the Aston Villa game on final day!

Talksport were saying this morning that Paul Jewell might be taking over at Newcastle until the end of the season.

Always liked Jewell. A good, honest professional who tells it like it is and has a decent track record with clubs stuck in the shit. Not the best manager in the world but if we're gonna punt JFK then he's probably about the best we're going to be able to attract.

I'd take him in a flash, especially if we go down.

Always liked Jewell. A good, honest professional who tells it like it is and has a decent track record with clubs stuck in the shit. Not the best manager in the world but if we're gonna punt JFK then he's probably about the best we're going to be able to attract.

I'd take him in a flash, especially if we go down.

And he's a dead ringer for Maxi.

What more could you ask for?

:up:

i'm sure he'll do very well in the championship if he hasn't got the bullet by then! he was going on about how middlesboro need 4 wins out of their last 8 games to stay up - is he deluded, they have won one league game in about 20 (it was against liverpool though i'll give him that!).

i'm sure he'll do very well in the championship if he hasn't got the bullet by then! he was going on about how middlesboro need 4 wins out of their last 8 games to stay up - is he deluded, they have won one league game in about 20 (it was against liverpool though i'll give him that!).

I would slag him for saying that but i'm saying exactly the same about Newcastle! Wins against Portsmouth, Spurs, Stoke and Fulham please. Definate losses against Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa. Who am i kidding, relegation assured. Unless Hull don't get a single point to the end of the season.

the way hull are playing at the moment, i wouldnt put it past them not to get another league win before the end of the season! the only recent win was an injury time winner at fulham and they were largely outplayed in that one! having said that they do have to play middlesboro but that'll probably end up a 0-0 draw (whats the betting poor old tony gubba is sent to do the commentary on that one for MOTD?).

newcastle do look really poor mind, so untogether - a team full of injury prone players who dont give a shit like michael owen (and why should he give a fuck when he's clearly not going to be there next season and no matter how many goals he scores capello wont pick him for england) and confused foreigners who have no idea what a relegation scrap is. there's no leadership, even when JK returns is he well enough to do the job? hughton is clearly not up for the job of being a front line manager, the moment it was evident JK had health problems, Ashley should have acted and got another interim manager in.

I think it's pretty fair for Scottish folks to follow an English club if they so wish, regardless of family connections or geographic location, because English football is just better in practically every department, including the frequency and accessibility of TV coverage for a start.

Define 'follow', though? Like Lucky Rathen was saying, he looks out for Everton results, but he couldn't actually give a shit if they win or lose. A large part of every football club is rooted in that village/town/city; the location, the history, everything. Scottish football isn't going to get any better if everyone watches the Premiership.

A lot of Old Firm 'fans' and Man Yoo followers have no other reason to 'support' that team than they win lots. That's so soulless.

A lot of Old Firm 'fans' and Man Yoo followers have no other reason to 'support' that team than they win lots. That's so soulless.

Come on now, they don't all support them because they're successful. Some of them support them because they have tenuous links to Ireland. :up:

Define 'follow', though? Like Lucky Rathen was saying, he looks out for Everton results, but he couldn't actually give a shit if they win or lose. A large part of every football club is rooted in that village/town/city; the location, the history, everything. Scottish football isn't going to get any better if everyone watches the Premiership.

I agree it is soulless to only follow/support a club because they win a lot and are successful. Its almost insulting to proper football fans when these followers partake in the glory of my team won the league and my team has beaten yours despite never stepping foot in any football ground anywhere. The truth is they dont really like football, so its not something to really get worked up about. They like to think they like football because they bought a Chelsea shirt from a JJB branch 600 miles away from Stamford Bridge, but clearly they are only taking the entertainment value from football, and not the emotional ties that come with it. But if thats how they choose to follow football, then so be it. Theres always going to be fair-weather fans and followers of a lot of hobbies and interests. It cant be stopped.

To be honest, I was brought up by ManYoo supporting parents. I still watch them when I can, purely because they are on Sky Sports 5 times a week, or so it seems. I dont care much if they win, but they are entertaining to watch. When at their best, its almost like watching a football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. Whilst I feel a much more important emotional tie to the team I actually support - its good to watch impressive football sometimes, instead of a bunch of part time butchers and joiners toe-poking ball soaked in rain water from one side of the pitch to another in a 90 minutes that feels like 3 days.

going to watch a team like cambridge united week in week out demands patience and tolerance of the highest order but when things go well (as they are at the moment has to be said) there's no greater feeling in the world. armchair supporters just dont have that same kind of passion or committment for the beautiful game. even in all the years i was exiled from watching cambridge, that passion never died and i felt every defeat as if i had been there. i didnt support this club out of choice, it just kind of happened, i could have taken the easy option and walked away but never and once it grips you, there's no letting go. its like an addictive drug. i was almost in tears four years ago when we dropped out the league and was a fraction away of going bust - armchair supporters just don't have those kinds of feelings towards their clubs.

it doesnt bother me mind, thats the way it is.

i'm still in shock that emile heskey scored for england although a friendly against slovakia doesn't really count in my book!

I think the Striker position is England problem position. They've got Rooney who is unstoppable when he's on his game but if he picks up an injury (which he seems to do a lot) or suspension they are short of world class strikers to call upon. Owen is never fit and looks a shadow of the player he used to be. Crouch is fairly average, it's only his height that makes him stand out. Defoe is pretty good but seems to be overlooked at the moment. Walcott seems to be playing more as a winger than a striker. Carlton Cole, Darren Bent and Emile Heskey aren't the kind of players who win World Cups.

The 2006 World Cup was case in point. Erikson only took 4 strikers - Crouch, Owen, Rooney and Walcott. Rooney had a broken foot and wasn't going to be fit until the second round. Owen ended up being stretchered off in the third game, leaving only Crouch and Walcott as fully fit strikers. Walcott was uncapped, and Erikson didn't even take him off the bench once. What was the point in taking him if he wasn't going to use him? As a result they only scored one goal in the second and third rounds (and that was from a midfielder) and ended up going out.

Unlike a lot (probably most) Scots, I actually do support the English national team and like to see them win. But I don't believe all the hype in the (English) media that the current team are good enough to win the World Cup. They have some world class players in Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Rio etc and their starting XI can give anyone a game on their day but too many of their back-up players are distinctly average. They are nowhere near good enough to win the World Cup. Plus they need a better keeper. David James is OK but he'll be 40 by the time the World Cup comes, and Robinson, Carson, Green don't look good enough to take his place. Foster could be the next England number 1 but he needs to be playing and it's alarming to me that he's happy to be sitting on the bench every week.

aye its gash innit?

i'm also in shock darren bent has been called up to the engerland squad. mind u i dont really give a flying fig about england's fortunes - i found the last euro championship finals quite refreshing without them and the continious shite the english media spout!