aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Fit? Scolari could speak English before he got the job at Chelsea...

His sacking came out of nowhere. Chelsea aren't having the best of seasons, but when your squad is aging with little inspiring youth transfers, it was bound to end in tears at some point.

Mourinho for Chelsea! :up:

I never said he couldn't speak English before Chelsea. I'm saying he can't speak English well at all, before, during, or after Chelsea. His post-match interviews are a comple muddle, so imagine how well he instructs his players, or communicates with his assistants and coaches? I never even told anyone to take that as gospel either. I was merely speculating a possibility. I do reckon they should give Wilkins til the end of the season though. It would cause a little less disruption than getting in a 3rd manager in the same season. He also knows the English game better than anyone that they will probably bring in from the mainland.

Alot of sackings this season though. Managers just aren't given a chance anymore. They really need a bit more of a chance to settle in, get used to the players they have got to work with, and be given a bit more of a financial backing to strengthen their squad if they lose key players.

The Tony Adams sacking was a bit ridiculous. He'd lost 2 of his best players in the January window and saw very little of the fees earned from their sale to sought replacements. Then sacked. Barmy. Harry Redknapp for Portsmouth. He'll probably sign Diarra and Defoe in the Summer.

I never said he couldn't speak English before Chelsea. I'm saying he can't speak English well at all, before, during, or after Chelsea. His post-match interviews are a comple muddle, so imagine how well he instructs his players, or communicates with his assistants and coaches? I never even told anyone to take that as gospel either. I was merely speculating a possibility. I do reckon they should give Wilkins til the end of the season though. It would cause a little less disruption than getting in a 3rd manager in the same season. He also knows the English game better than anyone that they will probably bring in from the mainland.

Alot of sackings this season though. Managers just aren't given a chance anymore. They really need a bit more of a chance to settle in, get used to the players they have got to work with, and be given a bit more of a financial backing to strengthen their squad if they lose key players.

The Tony Adams sacking was a bit ridiculous. He'd lost 2 of his best players in the January window and saw very little of the fees earned from their sale to sought replacements. Then sacked. Barmy. Harry Redknapp for Portsmouth. He'll probably sign Diarra and Defoe in the Summer.

chelsea have only had one manager this season......

that will be their 3rd manager this season... That must cause a bit of disruption surely?

from supporting a team and speaking with players who have 5 different managers over the course of a year I can safely say yes it does. Players fear for their future, get played all over the place in different styles etc. It undermines any kind of player confidence and team morale

... and speaking of switching managers, Newcastle have appointed five managers in the last five years since the sacking of Sir Bobby. Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan, JFK. We've perhaps one of the most trigger happy boards in the league when it comes to having a lack of patience with managers, and Llambias and Fat Mike seem to be doing their best to keep that tradition alive.

An English team that switches managers with such regularity as the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea and Portsmouth cannot be successful as there is no stability. A manager comes in and slowly the players get used to his methods and tactics, then as soon as the results start to slide he's out the window and the players have another set of ideals to adjust to. It's completely ridiculous and at times I often wonder if English football has lost its marbles entirely.

I always cite Aston Villa as a modern day example of how to run a football club. They brought in MON and stuck by him, even when results weren't great and they team weren't performing as well as they might have hoped. Instead of throwing massive wads of cash at him to bring in a squad of mercenaries they've bought very well in the transfer market and their big money buys always seem to work out (how many people scoffed when they bought Ashley Young for 9.65m? I certainly did, but he's developed into one of the finest attacking players in the league). When times were tough they kept their cool and didn't panic, and as a result MON's shaped them into a fantastic side who should, by all means, finish in the top four this season.

The key word here is patience. It's a concept that few chairmen seem to understand these days.

Aston Villa deserve all the success they get, and I hope they do see a trophy or two over the next few years. An admirable club with a fantastic work ethic, great players and one of the best managers in the game who doesn't get involved with the irratting publicity mind games like the tiff between Rafa and Fergie right now.

I would love to see them keep a firm hold of 3rd place til the end of the season, or even 2nd! They are consistent, and seem to really grind out results and not walk into games with the expectation of winning like the alledged "big four". Lots of home grown talent too, which is good to see at such a high level.

The key word here is patience. It's a concept that few chairmen seem to understand these days.

Your man at Middslesborough deserves kudos for sticking by Gareth Southgate. He's had some poor runs that 90% of chairman would have sacked him for, but he hasn't reacted to the calls for his head and has trusted him to sort it out. I'm hoping Southgate goes on to do really well for the club, he is still learning the job, and it's good that the chairman is willing to let him make a few mistakes on the way.

The guy at Birmingham City did the right thing by Steve Bruce a few seasons ago as well, the year they were relegated. Not only did he get to finish the season instead of getting the chop when things were starting to look sticky, the board actually left him in charge to get them back up again. Which he did, before he fucked off to Wigan. It's virtually unheard of these days. Look at the bottom three from the past few years, virtually every one of them has sacked their manager halfway through the season.

Guest idol_wild
Aston Villa deserve all the success they get, and I hope they do see a trophy or two over the next few years. An admirable club with a fantastic work ethic, great players and one of the best managers in the game who doesn't get involved with the irratting publicity mind games like the tiff between Rafa and Fergie right now.

I would love to see them keep a firm hold of 3rd place til the end of the season, or even 2nd! They are consistent, and seem to really grind out results and not walk into games with the expectation of winning like the alledged "big four". Lots of home grown talent too, which is good to see at such a high level.

I'm with you all the way on this. I think Martin O'Neill is easily one of the finest managers in the game - his record justifies this claim. He exudes absolute sense in every single interview I see him in.

They play a similar brand of football to Manchester United too - effective counter-attacking game, basing it heavily on a hard-working midfield and a solid defence.

I sincerely hope they hope they continue their form and secure second place.

I'm with you all the way on this. I think Martin O'Neill is easily one of the finest managers in the game - his record justifies this claim. He exudes absolute sense in every single interview I see him in.

They play a similar brand of football to Manchester United too - effective counter-attacking game, basing it heavily on a hard-working midfield and a solid defence.

I sincerely hope they hope they continue their form and secure second place.

I think he's a fantastic man manager too. He's been the first manager in a long time to coax consistent performances out of John Carew and he's helped sculpt Martin Laursen into one of the best defenders in the league. He's also got the likes of James Milner, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luke Young and Curtis Davies (players who have seemed very ordinary in the past) playing very well.

I really like the dynamic of the Villa squad. They've got a rock solid foundation (Laursen, Davies), a few workhorses in the centre (Barry, Reo-Coker), and a perfect combination of power (Carew, Heskey) and pace (Agbonlahor, Young) up front. The only thing they're perhaps lacking is a bit of flair in central midfield, but given MON's piece-by-piece approaching to squad building I'm sure it would be too long before that's addressed.

Personally, I hope they're a top four side for years to come.

• Upvote 1

its total madness all this hiring and firing after a few bad results. its seeping down to the toilet end of things as well, plenty of numpty supporters at cambridge continuosly call for gary brabin's head even though we're third in the league! blimey the bloke has only been in charge since last july and only had half a squad!

it could be argued the likes of adams shouldn't have been given the gig in the first place but it seems daft to let him spend and mould the squad in the transfer window and then fire him after getting beat by liverpool!

there's just no room for error in football management these days

I see John Fleck is being tipped for full honours despite playing a handful of top flight games for Rangers. Yes, he has put in good performances and definetly has the potential to be a very good striker, but surely putting all the pressure on him so early will affect his game? You just have to look at all the potential stars of yester-year than never lived up to expectations for proof. It's also a kick in the teeth to players who have worked hard over a number of seasons to try and break into the national side, Lee Miller being the obvious example.

Thoughts?

Nobody should be getting a full cap after only playing 5 senior games. The standard of international opposition, especially against Holland, is going to be world's apart from what he's come up against in the SPL. He hasn't shown at all what he can do against top quality opposition, and he hasn't even scored from open play yet. It's ridiculous.

What's rediculous (sp?) is the Newspapers throwing up this non-story and you guys falling for it. At no point did Burley come out and say 'I want to give Fleck a cap'. The papers were wanting a story and asked him if he'd consider Fleck. Burley said, he'd consider him INCLUDING HIM IN A SQUAD if he continued to develop and put in excellent performances. And why not? If he's playing well, I'd like him to get called up as well. Burley has called up in form players like Commons and Lee Miller and got stick for it; despite both putting in great performances. Didn't do Rooney any harm getting called up at 17 as well...

No doubt folk would moan if Burley picked the same players again and again if they were in terrible form. I'd rather form players like McCormack and Commons were picked ahead of Kenny Miller. We need confidence against Holland and Iceland.

Lets face it. Burley hasn't got an Old Firm background, so the papers are looking to slate him at every opportunity. Where as McLeish and Smith couldn't put a foot wrong, even when they were playing 4-5-1's to scrape a 0-0 draw at home to the likes of Moldova!! It makes a nice change for them to be talking in a positive manner.

Add to all this, the boy Fleck looks like he'll be a great player for years to come (before you ask, i've seen him play in the flesh about 5 or 6 times and he is awesome). Even if he is an Orc, i'll back him to the hilt in a Scotland jersey.

• Upvote 1

Good post Ross.

But, for example, if Lee Miller played for Rangers he'd be an automatic first choice for Scotland right now without a shadow of a doubt.

Every club in the SPL has young talented players who would benefit from being in or around the Scotland squad.... but no, it's all about Fleck!

The best talent to come out of Scotland ever apparently!!!!!!!!!!

Praise the lord..... we are saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World Cup Glory beckons!!!!!!!!

Good post Ross.

But, for example, if Lee Miller played for Rangers he'd be an automatic first choice for Scotland right now without a shadow of a doubt.

Every club in the SPL has young talented players who would benefit from being in or around the Scotland squad.... but no, it's all about Fleck!

Praise the lord..... we are saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World Cup Glory beckons!!!!!!!!

I don't think Burley gives much of a toss about the whole 'pick Old firm players' routine that some managers in the past may have gone for. Take the Boyd argument for example, rather than put him on against Norway he went for Fletcher and Iwelumo who were both in form (and despite that miss) played well. Boyd wasn't getting picked for Rangers at the time and didn't put the effort in on the Scotland training pitch, so he wasn't picked. Reputation or Old Firm 'preference' didn't come into it at all.

I prefer that 'prove yourself at all times' level of selection. Otherwise we'd still have Dailly, Riordan and the like being picked ahead of McCormack and Commons (excellent player btw), despite not getting a game for their clubs.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I still think Fleck is going to be a fantastic player despite the OTT hype. Considering he's a left footed midfielder/striker, which we don't have many of, he could be a first pick in the next year or two... and I don't think he'd be out of place. Great physique, pace, powerful shot, direct and good at set pieces. All this and he is just turned 17. Really loves his country as well, proved by saying that losing to England was the worst feeling in his life, ten times worse than losing an Old Firm game. Good lad!

Good post Ross.

The most promising youngster since Mark Burchill! :laughing:

But yeah that pisses me off as well, as soon as a player signs for Rangers or Celtic he automatically gets picked for Scotland, even if they were totally overlooked before. Kirk fucking Broadfoot is the best example, also Gary Caldwell, Scott Brown, Barry Robson...