aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Planet Terror - Half of the grindhouse double feature Tarintino and Rodriguez did. Absolutely fantastic. I love the asthetics of it all. And grenade launcher leg? Brilliant.

The Wicker Man - Nic Cage version, obviously. Brilliant. So much equal rights equal fights. And the burned doll, and bee hat. Fantastic acting. Couldn't get enough.

The Change-Up - Probably the film that broke my love of Ryan Reynolds. Anyone remember how good Van Wilder was? Well this was terrible, and should be avoided at all costs. I was also sure i  had seen the film before, but i think ive just seen a heap of films with the exact same storyline. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488555/

1/10, and thats being generous. 

The Change-Up - Probably the film that broke my love of Ryan Reynolds. Anyone remember how good Van Wilder was? Well this was terrible, and should be avoided at all costs. I was also sure i  had seen the film before, but i think ive just seen a heap of films with the exact same storyline. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488555/

1/10, and thats being generous.

I have the exact opposite view, I had an inherent dislike of him due to Van Wilder that has been gradually worn down over the years. The Change Up was pretty disappointing though, I expected more with Jason Bateman being involved.

The Way Way Back

Directed by Jim Rash(The Dean from Community), it's one of my favourite films I've seen so far this year. Didn't think I would like it so much but Sam Rockwell delivers so much (although at times he is trying to be a bit too like The Fonz), and Steve Carell's character is so much of a douche bag in it, you want to punch him. I never though.

Kick-Ass 2

Loved it. Great violence, some awesome deaths. Jim Carrey surprised me with how amazing he was. It's totally over-the-top, ridiculous fun.

Watch it.

5/5

xx

Also, the Daily Mail fucking hated the movie, so that's another reason to watch it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2391071/Kick-Ass-2-review-Jim-Carrey-Chloe-Moretz-star-orgy-moronic-super-hero-violence.html

xx

Contraband

Marky Mark is an ex-ace smuggler who has giveup that life because he married Kate Beckinsale. Her brother fucks up a smuggling job for Phoebe's brother from Friends who is a bit psycho and starts threatening to hurt Marky Marks kids so Marky returns to do a job to earn the cash to repay him. J. Jonah Jamieson from Spiderman plays a ships captain. Actually a decent enough film.

8/10

Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap

Ice T's directorial debut which was supposed to trace the history of rap through interviews with various rappers through the years. I wasnt so convinced by the history bit which seemed underdone and it felt a bit self-aggrandising for Ice T but it was quite entertaining seeing some of the interviews.

6/10

The Sweeney

I expected this to be shit and I wasn't disappointed.  Ray Winstone plays a parody of Ray Winstone while Plan B takes it seriously around him.  A corrupt disc meant we missed 10 mins in the middle but I don't think it made much difference. Fackin slags. 

The Sweeney

I expected this to be shit and I wasn't disappointed.  Ray Winstone plays a parody of Ray Winstone while Plan B takes it seriously around him.  A corrupt disc meant we missed 10 mins in the middle but I don't think it made much difference. Fackin slags. 

I actually enjoyed this, and was surprised at that.

Rush - True story of the 1976 Formula 1 season and the rivalry between the focused and meticulous Niki Lauda and flamboyant playboy James Hunt. The on-track stuff isn't very well done, but the character story is fantastic, you feel a connection with both of them, and the two characters seem to flip between protagonist and antagonist at times, which is interesting. A really great story well told. Probably more enjoyable for F1 fans though. 

Lovelace - Biography of infamous sword-swallower Linda Lovelace, star of Deep Throat. It tells the story of her rise to fame with a brilliant backdrop of 70s fashion, music, drugs, kinda like The Runaways, really fun story but with a hint of a dark undercurrent. Then halfway through it rewinds and the story is retold from Linda's perspective, and you see all the scenes that fit between the scenes you already saw. This time around it's violence, rape, mental and physical abuse and it tells a whole different story. Brave role from Amanda Seyfried who's known for more family friendly roles, in this she "uglies up" to play the plain Linda, and spends a lot of the film in the buff. Good stuff.

The Way Way Back - Coming of age comedy drama about a shy young boy who moves to a seaside town for the summer, gets a job in a waterpark and "find himself". It doesn't really break any new ground, movies like this are a dime-a-dozen, typically there's a few laughs, a lot of wistfulness and everyone learns a valuable lesson. See also Little Miss Sunshine, Jeff Who Lives At Home, Garden State etc. This one sorts of drags and doesn't really go anywhere. It looks gorgeous though. Sam Rockwell is ace. 

Jurassic Park 3D - One of my favourite films so I wasn't going to pass up the chance to watch this both in 3D and in IMAX. I normally dislike 3D but it really really worked in this, it was so well done. Though, 3D or 2D, this is an absolutely terrific adventure, a magical film, amd a modern classic. The 20-year-old CGI looks better than a lot of the stuff that's coming out now.

Monsters University - Prequel to Monsters Inc. in which Sully and Mike go to college and find themselves having to compete in a Goblet Of Fire-esque competition to keep their place. The college movie influence is obvious, there's shades of Animal House and Revenge Of The Nerds throughout, and it's full of physical comedy for the kids. Definitely one for the youngsters but I enjoyed it.

Seven Psychopaths - Tarantino-esque gangster movie. I mostly hated this. A muddled-up and clunky plot drags it down but there's some great performances which save it a bit, Christopher Walken is glorious, and Woody Harrelson gets pass marks. Even Colin Farrell isn't terrible, but the film sucked.

Foxy Brown - Pam Grier kicks ass and shows off her boobies, all over a groovy 70s soundtrack in this blaxploitation classic. The final third is fucking nonsense but it's good up until then.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - Lonely child of Nazi general befriends Jewish child in concentration camp during WW2, and they build a friendship through the fence. The movie is mostly told through the child's eyes, unaware of what's going on around him and simply looking for a friend. Well shot, well written, tugs at the heart strings a bit. 

Seven Psychopaths - Tarantino-esque gangster movie. I mostly hated this. A muddled-up and clunky plot drags it down but there's some great performances which save it a bit, Christopher Walken is glorious, and Woody Harrelson gets pass marks. Even Colin Farrell isn't terrible, but the film sucked.

I wanted this to be so much better than it is. Really felt like it should have been too, it has a lot going for it but it just doesn't work.

• Upvote 1