aberdeen-music

Drum N Bass

Lemonade

I'm just starting to get into this.... though my knowledge of the genre is pretty much limited to whatever CDs have fallen off the cover of magazines and what I've read in Mixmag etc....

So what's a good place to start in the d'n'b world? Would appreciate the names of a few artists / DJs whose stuff I can pick up on CD (sold my record decks to pay a council tax bill, booooo!), any decent labels worth checking out, details of clubnights around Scotland etc...

dj-emoticons.gif

I'm sorry, but that is shit!

I've never heard DnB that I could enjoy just listening to. Granted haven't really invested much time in looking.

There is a lot of intelligent dnb around....

You might like Blu Mar Ten ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=YmUsRuZltx4 wierd video yeah lol but the tune builds nicely )

or maybe Blame ( YouTube - Blame - Destiny )

or LTJ Bukem who is just in a class of his own and has a huge backcatalogue of chilled dnb (

) basically check out anything by him because most of it's really classy.

for what it's worth, pendulum, who have bizarrely attracted a big following from people who don't really have any interest in dnb don't represent atall the legacy and history of dnb, they are pretty much the lowest common denominator of cheesy pillhead dancefloor pish.

so yeah, listen to LTJ Bukem

"Hold Your Colour" by Pendulum is pretty much the DnB album to own in my opinion, Fabriclive 18 mixed by Andy C & DJ Hype is my favourite compilation at the moment, so cool.

I think most DnB is best mixed, although I've not heard any intelligent stuff mixed before. I like Photek lots, except "form & function II" was such a let down for me.

As for darker stuff, I like Therapy Sessions, however I find most dark DnB rather cheesy.

I still call it jungle personally, so Jungle Nation is an Aberdeen institution, on the go for years and Tez does it coz he still has the evangelical zeal, so good on him. When I went to uni I couldn't afford much jungle, so my recomendations are almost all pre-millenial. I thought evil jungle (my definition) lost its way for a while after society failed to collapse since 2000. But what I liked was/is;

DJ Trace-Sonar (Prototype) is in my opinion the ne plus ultra of evil jungle, a record to go to war to, a pinnacle in noisenik aggression unsurpassed since, and I really, REALLY want to hear it again, but a mate lost or scratched mine. Like most evil greats it has an eerie yet mellow sound at the intro, DJ friendly 2 minute intro, quick breakdown, and in for the kill, fucking immense, makes most death metal seem laughably effete.

Ed Rush & Optical- Funktion(V Recordings) I totally rate their Virus singles and albums too, but this tune is just ace, evil funk rules.

Platinum Breakz Volumes I & II (Metalheadz) Good grounding in late 90's Jungle with plenty of Classics including the mighty 'Uninvited Ghost' by Doc Scott, see how he works that riff. OOh and 'Pulp Fiction' by Alex Reece with ace Boingy bass.

Due to the quick turnover of tracks I suspect that much of this may be unavailable, but I haven't looked. Bukems early stuff was enjoyable, especially 'Demons Theme' but I thought it got a bit 'coffee table' eventually, and don't forget early classic 'Champion Sound' by Q Project, ruffneck biznizz.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

what stripey said about pendulum...i don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to jungle and dnb but you'd have to be a moron to think that these dudes are actually good, they're the 'good charlotte' of dnb, perfect for 17 year old girls to go 'I LOVE RAVE AND DRUM AND BASS, IT'S THE BEST' on myspace to

There is a lot of intelligent dnb around....

You might like Blu Mar Ten ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=YmUsRuZltx4 wierd video yeah lol but the tune builds nicely )

or maybe Blame ( YouTube - Blame - Destiny )

or LTJ Bukem who is just in a class of his own and has a huge backcatalogue of chilled dnb (

) basically check out anything by him because most of it's really classy.

for what it's worth, pendulum, who have bizarrely attracted a big following from people who don't really have any interest in dnb don't represent atall the legacy and history of dnb, they are pretty much the lowest common denominator of cheesy pillhead dancefloor pish.

so yeah, listen to LTJ Bukem

some classic Photek is pretty "intelligent" too...

the LTJ "earth" series was lovely...but I thought it sort of started the "elevator" drum and bass stuff that became like trip hop..."wallpaper music".

(sorry La Mula, I posted this before I read your post...but Like Stripey says, pendulum is a bit cheesey (or bandwagon jumper)...if you want the "harder" drum n bass, get the classics, not the prodigy of the drum n bass world.

The producer Kurt Gluck (Ohms resistance) has some fantastic stuff on his label.

Mich Harris (Scorn, Napalm Death, lull,....etc) has produced some brutal stuff under the moniker "Quoit"

(can't find any QUOIT vids...but here's some new scorn shit)

YouTube - SCORN - Live in Budapest at TRAFO

don't be put off by the "dancing".

Sinewaves.it - mick harris - lull - scorn - weakener

what stripey said about pendulum...i don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to jungle and dnb but you'd have to be a moron to think that these dudes are actually good, they're the 'good charlotte' of dnb, perfect for 17 year old girls to go 'I LOVE RAVE AND DRUM AND BASS, IT'S THE BEST' on myspace to

Since you don't know anything about DNB all your comment really says is that you go on 17 year old girls' myspaces.

it's true actually, in fact it's testament to pendulums appeal to non-dnb heads that some of these cunts express their shock when they turn up to a pendulum "gig" to find it's a dj set.

All they've done is reduced the genre down to pathetic cartoon-like bullshit designed to give cheap unsophisticated thrills to pillheads, as anyone who has listened to dnb for more than 5 years knows. They are fully on a par with gabber or happy hardcore in terms of appealing to base instincts and the lowest common denominator.

All they've done is reduced the genre down to pathetic cartoon-like bullshit designed to give cheap unsophisticated thrills to pillheads, as anyone who has listened to dnb for more than 5 years knows. They are fully on a par with gabber or happy hardcore in terms of appealing to base instincts and the lowest common denominator.

What a load of shit.

Pendulum is just as sophisticated as Calyx.

Also I recommend "Naughty Girl (Kiko and Rob F Remix)" by Beyonce, best dnb tune I've heard in ages.

What a load of shit.

Pendulum is just as sophisticated as Calyx.

Also I recommend "Naughty Girl (Kiko and Rob F Remix)" by Beyonce, best dnb tune I've heard in ages.

you're wrong, and I suspect you've never even heard ed rush & optical's watermelon/sicknote 12". you blatently don't know what you're talking about.

oh yeah and by the way mandatory listening is roni size / reprazent - new forms album, and goldie - timeless.

Wierd. I've actually got both those albums. Can't have enjoyed them very much..

I can see myself getting into Drum n Bass in the future, when I get bored of what I'm listening to now I'd imagine. It's sort of like a potential new friend, who's a bit older and smokes fags.

I suspect you've never even heard ed rush & optical's watermelon/sicknote 12". you blatently don't know what you're talking about.

I blatantly do, I don't need to have heard anything in particular to know Pendulum is good DnB, you seem to think just because you're a "DnB head" your opinion is like fact.