aberdeen-music

aberdeen and guitars.

Sweet-C

before i go on i'll just let you all know that i don't play any instruments myself.

anyway, here's what i think: aberdeen could do with a few (more) decent acts that aren't so 'guitar-out-their-face'. i'd like to see a group use guitars sparingly...a decent band that doesnt even have a guitarist would be fucking sweet.

and before i finish, i also want to make it known that i like the sound a guitar makes as much as i'm sure the rest of you do, and i appreciate that people have a great deal of fun playing guitars and that they look pretty cool whilst doing so, but come on, somebody in this city must know how to play something else.

maybe i just don't know enough local bands that don't play rock music. and by rock music i mean metal, ska, singer-songwriter, NME-style "indie" etc., pretty much all the genres that came from rock.

so if i'm being an ignorant cunt and dismissing some good bands that play jazz or any electronic acts...then say so and tell me about them.

oh, finally, i quite like metal and i don't believe it's possible to have too many bands of any style...actually, fuck that:

there are too many metal bands in aberdeen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
Why stop at 5? Go for the Glenn Branca approach.

One problem with being in a 5 guitar band however, would be having to deal with 5 guitarist's egos.

It was a reference to a song title, but in terms of sheer sonics, guitars are very versatile. With the right gear, there's a lot you can do with them. And in multiples too. I don't care about how "cool" it apparently is to play guitar or whatever.

In saying that, I do intend to sit down with a lovely Korg keyboard I now have access to and suss the badboy out for future pursuits.

It was a reference to a song title, but in terms of sheer sonics, guitars are very versatile. With the right gear, there's a lot you can do with them. And in multiples too. I don't care about how "cool" it apparently is to play guitar or whatever.

In saying that, I do intend to sit down with a lovely Korg keyboard I now have access to and suss the badboy out for future pursuits.

we're almost there with 4 guitarists though we've never had them all at once. the korg is fucking ace, can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it again tonight and turn kartta into a techno band :D

there was once talk of performing a glenn branca piece in aberdeen with tons of guitars but i don't think anyone could really be arsed organising it.

before i go on i'll just let you all know that i don't play any instruments myself.

anyway, here's what i think: aberdeen could do with a few (more) decent acts that aren't so 'guitar-out-their-face'. i'd like to see a group use guitars sparingly...a decent band that doesnt even have a guitarist would be fucking sweet.

and before i finish, i also want to make it known that i like the sound a guitar makes as much as i'm sure the rest of you do, and i appreciate that people have a great deal of fun playing guitars and that they look pretty cool whilst doing so, but come on, somebody in this city must know how to play something else.

maybe i just don't know enough local bands that don't play rock music. and by rock music i mean metal, ska, singer-songwriter, NME-style "indie" etc., pretty much all the genres that came from rock.

so if i'm being an ignorant cunt and dismissing some good bands that play jazz or any electronic acts...then say so and tell me about them.

oh, finally, i quite like metal and i don't believe it's possible to have too many bands of any style...actually, fuck that:

there is the band called Precipiece, who are a jazz band, play kef every thursday night, and its free entry, there is the kitchen cynics, which is great, try Sarah J Tingle, she has a guitar but uses it sparingly, she focuses on electronics and stuff more then uses the guitar (delayed) to create ambience.

There can never be too much metal!! how exactly would you propose a metal band to stop using guitars? maybe they could use a triangle instead? thatd sound heavy....

guitars rule.full stop.

id rather see someone rippin it up on guitar than fannying about with electronics anyday...

obvoiusly you didn't see kling klang when they played the tunnels, not really metal but certainly heavy as fuck.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
There can never be too much metal!!

guitars rule.full stop.

Oh Christ, he's away again.

Gumby metallers have a reputation for being so shit-thick that two short planks are offended when compared to them.

:up:

As far as I am aware, there are approxomately no or very few metal bands that gig regularly in Aberdeen at the moment.

Music without guitars can be good. I don't know if keyboards are making a slight comeback but I have seen a few bands with keyboard players in Aberdeen over the last year. Not quite the same as no guitars but still potentially can make things more interesting.

Snake Temple Kings have guitar but they also have keyboards and the other instruments are just as important. They are progressive rock.

MySpace.com - The Snake Temple Kings - Aberdeen, UK - Progressive / Psychedelic / Rock - www.myspace.com/thesnaketemplekings

Gumby metallers have a reputation for being so shit-thick that two short planks are offended when compared to them.

Not what the evidence says.

Music without guitars can be good. I don't know if keyboards are making a slight comeback but I have seen a few bands with keyboard players in Aberdeen over the last year. Not quite the same as no guitars but still potentially can make things more interesting.

Holy shit, music without guitars can be good?

...and a band with a keyboard, fuck me thats mental!

Guest idol_wild

Most bands in Aberdeen do not have keyboards and this one does and I happen to like this one so I thought I would provide I link to their music.

The majority of bands I tend to see in Aberdeen use keyboards.