aberdeen-music

"8-bit"

Stripey

I haven't gathered what 8 bit music is, from reading this thread but I think it has something to do with nintendo style music sounds. You get these style sounds (and the ones in the videos stripey posted) by purchasing Native Instruments Reactor 5 and then spending hours working out how to use it properly. This is the only synth it took me 5 minutes to work out how to cause it to make any noise, at all.

I remember having a discussion about this with another keyboard player. Some points discussed were, J.S Bach is the only music which sounds good on EVERY instrument, including a basic nintendo sound device.

I think I may have missed the point of this discussion but thought I would add anyhow..

I haven't gathered what 8 bit music is, from reading this thread but I think it has something to do with nintendo style music sounds. You get these style sounds (and the ones in the videos stripey posted) by purchasing Native Instruments Reactor 5 and then spending hours working out how to use it properly. This is the only synth it took me 5 minutes to work out how to cause it to make any noise, at all.

I remember having a discussion about this with another keyboard player. Some points discussed were, J.S Bach is the only music which sounds good on EVERY instrument, including a basic nintendo sound device.

I think I may have missed the point of this discussion but thought I would add anyhow..

Why would you use a huge modular synth like reaktor to make sounds you can achieve with a basic 2 or 3 osc synth with a filter and an envelope generator?

Why would you use a huge modular synth like reaktor to make sounds you can achieve with a basic 2 or 3 osc synth with a filter and an envelope generator?

You wont get those sounds with a Minimoog.

The videos reminded me of some of the sounds I had previously made from reaktor. Reaktor is rather overkill for just about everything though. This is why I make a point of not playing with it very much, just a distraction and something in the way of making music most of the time. I also keep doing things wrong and it stops making sound all of a sudden, then I can't get rid of my previous synth easily, I want to add one of the things other than the 'synths' and I get confused. Maybe I should read the manual.

You wont get those sounds with a Minimoog.

The videos reminded me of some of the sounds I had previously made from reaktor. Reaktor is rather overkill for just about everything though. This is why I make a point of not playing with it very much, just a distraction and something in the way of making music most of the time. I also keep doing things wrong and it stops making sound all of a sudden, then I can't get rid of my previous synth easily, I want to add one of the things other than the 'synths' and I get confused. Maybe I should read the manual.

"The SID features three-voice synthesis, where each voice may use one of four different waveforms: square wave (with variable pulse width), triangle wave, sawtooth wave and a pseudo-random (but not white noise) wave. Each voice may be ring modulated with one of the other waves, Each voice may be passed through a common, digitally controlled analog filter with variable cut-off frequency and resonance"

Theres nothing there you cant do with a basic VST analogue synth...

I'm not a fan of reaktor personally, I prefer plogue bidule and use it more for generating fucked up layered / textured evolving pads and atmosphere, which it does brilliantly

i use 3 hardware synths - one has a SID chip in it

the other two synths are all capable of bit reduction and therefor 8 bit emulation but rarely offer the same cheesy level of Commodore 64 / Space Invaders sounds - so surprise surpise - when i need a low fi Coin Op sound I use the SID - it also does other stuff too beleive it or not....

but being anti 8 bit sounds is as stupid as being anti Ring Modulation, anti Distortion or anti Low Pass Filtering etc

they all sound good, and all have a place in the never ending cycle of hip sounds and era defining sounds

8 - bit -ness is just one of a few hundred manipulations that can be applied to any synth sound

so aye....Im not sure what the problem is???

Don't post in this thread if you've got nothing useful to add to the debate, cheers.

Remember it was you that said it next time you are whining for getting banned.

In fact I put it to Neil and the mods that Stripey's suggestion be modified slightly and made into a motto of sorts for aberdeen-music.

"Don't post in a thread unless you've got something useful to add to the debate."

At least that would mean that Stripey's only contributions to the site would involve threads about making "music" in your bedroom to wank over that is better than anything and everything else.

Shit, i've broken Stripey's rule..........

i use 3 hardware synths - one has a SID chip in it

the other two synths are all capable of bit reduction and therefor 8 bit emulation but rarely offer the same cheesy level of Commodore 64 / Space Invaders sounds - so surprise surpise - when i need a low fi Coin Op sound I use the SID - it also does other stuff too beleive it or not....

but being anti 8 bit sounds is as stupid as being anti Ring Modulation, anti Distortion or anti Low Pass Filtering etc

they all sound good, and all have a place in the never ending cycle of hip sounds and era defining sounds

8 - bit -ness is just one of a few hundred manipulations that can be applied to any synth sound

so aye....Im not sure what the problem is???

I'm not being anti-8bit sounds, I'm talking about people who use them inappropriately or in a shit way, or as an excuse for bad production values while insisting it's trendy/retro/ironic.