aberdeen-music

"8-bit"

Stripey

nothing wrong with a critical look at music, but you never seem positive about any music outside your own sphere, just focussing on the worst proponents and components of it.

relative talent or taste re duracell wasn't my question - just that an mpc hiphop production is quite different from a man drowning in his own sweat playing drums like animal on speed.

Most of your tracks (and the songs you namecheck) seem to be crafted for a live environment. Of course if you just don't like/can't play live it's not going to be enjoyable, but I really like that dialectic where the crowd are reacting to the performer and vice versa. Feedback on the web just isn't as much fun. Have you thought every live performer you've seen has honestly been "gigging with half arsed shite for the sake of impressing some pissed students"? If so, you could change all that man. Gig with fully arsed shit and show the world how it's done. The world needs you!

I'd say it's only egotistical where the performer is playing mainly just to him/her/themselves with the crowd (as you say) merely acting as a prop to self affirmation. Otherwise, the ego just plays its role, keeping things ticking.

p.s. incidentally, you're wrong about duracell triggering samples - the chap uses a nord modular to sample the adc's, then uses the triggers to step along step sequencers controlling synths he designed, switching sections and parts with that other drum. It's fucking physically impressive (again, when the triggers work) if nothing else (yes, not that there aren't better drummers, but at least he's trying).

(watch from 3:22, cos the first ain't too pretty)
  • Upvote 1