aberdeen-music

"8-bit"

Stripey

What's your problem with people who have their own project studios? What's wrong with having your own space to record, rehearse and produce in?

No problems at all. It's a great thing if you are making music that is not predominantly guitar / drums / bass / vocals and, without wanting to pigeonhole anything, "electronic" music. Cool thing.

Do you know what an MPC is? Never listened to hiphop have you?

Do all hip hop lyrics explain what an MPC is? Do you ever listen to music for it's substance or because it makes you feel something or conveys an idea to you? Or do you just listen to music to criticise the choice of gear used?

No problems at all. It's a great thing if you are making music that is not predominantly guitar / drums / bass / vocals and, without wanting to pigeonhole anything, "electronic" music. Cool thing.

Actually I've got here : 3 acoustic guitars including a particularly nice takamine, an acoustic bass guitar, a cheapo fender strat clone, a fiddle, an accordian, a yamaha clavinova, 2 different hammond organs with working leslies, a selection of african/scottish/middleeastern drums, a uke, a casio studio keyboard, a kawai K1m synth module, a tr505 drum machine, a PA, a set of vocal mics, most of a drum kit, tin whistles, chanters, recorders, tambourines, a stereo condenser mic for field recording, hell there's even a fucking ocarina here and this isn't an exhaustive list.

Most of the people on here having a go at my approach or my material know fuck all about what I do, how I do it and what I'm producing now, so take your narrow minded stereotyping insults and fuck off.

Actually I've got here : 3 acoustic guitars including a particularly nice takamine, an acoustic bass guitar, a cheapo fender strat clone, a fiddle, an accordian, a yamaha clavinova, 2 different hammond organs with working leslies, a selection of african/scottish/middleeastern drums, a uke, a casio studio keyboard, a kawai K1m synth module, a tr505 drum machine, a PA, a set of vocal mics, most of a drum kit, tin whistles, chanters, recorders, tambourines, a stereo condenser mic for field recording, hell there's even a fucking ocarina here and this isn't an exhaustive list.

Most of the people on here having a go at my approach or my material know fuck all about what I do, how I do it and what I'm producing now, so take your narrow minded stereotyping insults and fuck off.

Actually, I wasn't having a go at your approach at all.

I was having a go at the fact you perpetually go around this forum taking the piss out of everything and lambasting anyone whose ideas don't match yours. You then have the gall to tell other people to don't post in a thread unless you've got something useful to add to the debate. Others here think you're music is utter pish. personally I certainly don't like it or "get it" and had it been anyone else, anyone else on this forum I wouldn't have used the derogatory term I did - but quite frankly, you deserve it for your double standards.

All you do is go around threads jumping in and demeaning the thread or poster but when it applies to your world of multi instrumental studios no -one is even to allowed to say they don't like it without being "narrow minded."

I'll leave you to it. I was going to tell you to fuck off as well, but I'd just look a child getting upset because someone doesn't agree with them like you do.

Have fun tonight "in the studio."

Actually, I wasn't having a go at your approach at all.

You were, you and other people think you can take the piss out of me by going on about writing music in my "bedroom", if you don't have any counterargument to my point of view just keep your mouth shut instead of coming out with pathetic insults aimed at me and my music as a substitute for intelligent speech.

Hey I'm just standing up for myself after the fact..

to be fair tho you do bring it on, and you enjoy it as well, im just amused that after years of this people still get so upset by your take on music, the same threads always pop up, someone posts about music, you dont like it so insult it, someone then gets all wound up and we end up 5-6 pages later with dave getting his pants in a twist banning anyone he doesnt like.

Where is zombie munch when you need him?

Yes, Hip-Hop and Duracell have so much in common its unreal. I can't believe I didn't think of that before. What a dope I am.

Why don't you calm down a bit and actually read what I posted before going off on one. Triggering chopped samples has always been at the core of hiphop, what duracell is doing is essentially the same thing only he's using a drumkit instead of the velocity sensitive pads on an MPC f.e. to trigger the samples.

Why don't you calm down a bit and actually read what I posted before going off on one. Triggering chopped samples has always been at the core of hiphop, what duracell is doing is essentially the same thing only he's using a drumkit instead of the velocity sensitive pads on an MPC f.e. to trigger the samples.
Maybe so. But they sound nothing like each other. Which is what I was asking for.

So take your own advice and "actually read what I posted before going off on one."

I'm not being anti-8bit sounds, I'm talking about people who use them inappropriately or in a shit way, or as an excuse for bad production values while insisting it's trendy/retro/ironic.

currently yeh, its overused

but its only trendy this week

next week it wont be a problem

another ''cool'' sound will pop up and be exploited to death

supply and demand etc

fortunately most people can see right through ''trendy but shit'' so I wouldnt worry about it

In relation to 8-bit electronics, it doesn't do much for me really. Dntel/Jimmy Tamborello/Postal Service do light glitchy electronics really well without resorting to Kitsch computer sounds.

I prefer my synths deep and roaring like in Train by Goldfrapp. It's not like 8-bit stuff is filling up the airwaves though, I can't name that many artists that use them.

I prefer my synths deep and roaring like in Train by Goldfrapp. It's not like 8-bit stuff is filling up the airwaves though, I can't name that many artists that use them.

Even in that track they are slightly kistchy/retro sounds, to my ears anyway. My idea of deep and roaring is more like the stuff Calyx and Teebee do, probably two of my favourite producers at the moment... YouTube - Calyx and Teebee studio tips slightly off topic but this vid is a good example of the kind of synth sounds I like, and offers a little insight into how it's done.

edit > probably might be quite enlightening aswell for those of you who still have dogma about digital studios...

• Upvote 1

It's not like 8-bit stuff is filling up the airwaves though, I can't name that many artists that use them.

hmmm

bit reduced synth sounds are all over the charts billowing outa the discos ...... nearly everything on Annie Mac features a distorted bit reduction breakdown - seems to be the new filter sweep, but its tired / cliched already

but yeh not many artists would make use of purely 8 bit sounds for a entire track ....that would sound like a shitty toy song - atom and his package have done it to death anyway

but then again.... 8-bit bass just sounds massive and hard as fuck to honest - mix it with some resampled v low Khz bass drum = super dirty electro yum

no good sounds are bad

I'm not being anti-8bit sounds, I'm talking about people who use them inappropriately or in a shit way, or as an excuse for bad production values while insisting it's trendy/retro/ironic.

dude, you could just like...not listen to shit music? You just say there you're not in this thread to try and see something positive, just to whine about all the crap out there and reminice about when it was truly "cutting edge". Press the ff button or summat. Must be a burden having to care so much about all the shit music out there. Rise above it. Incidentally, I quite like sabrepulse's stuff (www.myspace.com/sabrepulse). And germlin tho that's mainly just for ADD sufferers.

Duracell also - the guy is a fucking shithot drummer - you're trying to tell us that some guy twiddling fingers on an MPC compares to that? (on the 1 in 10 occasion when his triggers actually work the whole set).

Alex

p.s. Why don't you try getting a dirty jungle set on at one of aberdeen's many shitty venues? - there's something about an actual live connection I don't think you get sitting on your arse being superior. You should have more fun, sir!

dude, you could just like...not listen to shit music? You just say there you're not in this thread to try and see something positive, just to whine about all the crap out there and reminice about when it was truly "cutting edge". Press the ff button or summat. Must be a burden having to care so much about all the shit music out there. Rise above it. Incidentally, I quite like sabrepulse's stuff (www.myspace.com/sabrepulse). And germlin tho that's mainly just for ADD sufferers.

Duracell also - the guy is a fucking shithot drummer - you're trying to tell us that some guy twiddling fingers on an MPC compares to that? (on the 1 in 10 occasion when his triggers actually work the whole set).

Alex

p.s. Why don't you try getting a dirty jungle set on at one of aberdeen's many shitty venues? - there's something about an actual live connection I don't think you get sitting on your arse being superior. You should have more fun, sir!

Well you know, it is the music discussion forum, seems to me to be the ideal place to discuss such things. Or perhaps you would prefer to just have threads like "I LIKE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN" "LOL SO DO I". What's the problem with having a critical look at stuff which is going on in music?

And frankly yes, I've got far more respect for the talents of most hiphop producers than I do for the 1 trick pony disjointed cheese made by duracell.

p.s I'm not interested in playing live, I don't feel the need for any kind of "live connection", which put that way just sounds like either a hideously egotistical endeavour or a sad exercise in self-affirmation. I'm quite happy spending my time putting work into my labour of love, rather than gigging with half-arsed shite for the sake of impressing some pissed students.

• Upvote 1