aberdeen-music

Ride the Lightning

imt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Load is an awesome record and Re-Load has some awesome and not so awesome songs on it.

I loved that...they were growing older gracefully. Those albums were classy sounding and kinda hard rocky/metal way that only Metallica could do. St ANger was trying to prove they were vital when just being Metallica was vital enough. They went wrong because they stopped doing what came naturally.

Woah. I agree.

Calm down!!

I hate them both. :)

I normally respect your opinion on these boards because you say what you feel, even when it causes a stir. But to say tool and mastodon aren't good bands is complete and utter shite.

Not to take a personal dig or anything, but to see a tool show is to be truely in the presence of masterful musicians, whether you like them or not. They are a brilliant band as are mastodon. So to say there members are part of bad bands is wrong. Just wrong.

austin

I normally respect your opinion on these boards because you say what you feel, even when it causes a stir. But to say tool and mastodon aren't good bands is complete and utter shite.

Not to take a personal dig or anything, but to see a tool show is to be truely in the presence of masterful musicians, whether you like them or not. They are a brilliant band as are mastodon. So to say there members are part of bad bands is wrong. Just wrong.

austin

opinions?

opinions?

You can still hate a band but respect the fact that they're good at what they do and maybe you just don't like their music. Saying a band that has toured the world over and sold millions of records are 'rubbish', when your band has sold the arse end of 1000 records and done a club tour of the UK (i'm not saying that's shite btw before you take it the wrong way), is a bit off wouldn't you say.

You can still hate a band but respect the fact that they're good at what they do and maybe you just don't like their music. Saying a band that has toured the world over and sold millions of records are 'rubbish', when your band has sold the arse end of 1000 records and done a club tour of the UK (i'm not saying that's shite btw before you take it the wrong way), is a bit off wouldn't you say.

rubbishhhh, literally rubbish.

there's another thread going well into this, but why bring up what his band has done? that's got nothing to do with his opinion.

also, if i hated a band, i seriously wouldn't think they're any good despite anything they had done.

Again, I'll said what's been said in another thread on these boards recently: So, because I'm in a band that automatically means I can't have an opinion. So I suppose because fucking Avenged Sevenfold are A million times more successful than my band I can't say I think they're god-awful? Enough people on here are saying that Metallica ARE shit and not that they think they're shit...so...are you jumping on them? I think my point is cast-iron here compadre. Various members of my own band LOVE mastodon and tool, I just dont like them at all. I think that tol is self indulgent, weirdo stoner music and Mastodon is tuneless, lumbering dirge. Big deal. You like Sigur Ros...I'd rather have iron filings put down my urethra than listen to that arty drivel that sounds like it should be on the boring hippie section of a crap surfing DVD.

What if I wasn't in a band? Would my opinion be automatically void. Come on Phil. If you're chasing an argument there is plenty more idiots on this site that can easily be picked on because they cant back up their statements.

Oh and just to clarify, we have done quite a bit more than what you have stated there but hey...call me picky. :)

Ok, just to clarify what i meant as my previous post was badly written.

Even if you 'hate' a band you should be able to realise that the musicians involved in the band have a certain level of talent and regardless of whether you like the output of said band you should still be able to see that.

There are plenty of bands i hate but i wouldn't say they were shit musicians. Just because i don't appreciate their music doesn't mean i shouldn't appreciate their musicianship. Obviously there are cases where that can be excepted, but for the most part i find almost all types of music agreable on some level be it the music itself, or lyrics or whatever.

And i wasn't having a go at MMW or spoiling for a fight either, as you well know, i just don't like folks being narrowminded.

Guest bluesxman

Jeez, come on, surely you can freely state you dislike a band's music without having to consider their ability as musicians first, or have to concede that they are talented to be able to have that opinion?

Guest bluesxman
Even if you 'hate' a band you should be able to realise that the musicians involved in the band have a certain level of talent and regardless of whether you like the output of said band you should still be able to see that.

That seems to suggest (to me anyway, perhaps i'm just unable to read it the way you intend it to mean) that before I say I dislike a band I have to consider their talents first. Sometimes I just don't like the music and don't wish to consider it any further! The sum of the parts is generally what counts for me.

That seems to suggest (to me anyway, perhaps i'm just unable to read it the way you intend it to mean) that before I say I dislike a band I have to consider their talents first. Sometimes I just don't like the music and don't wish to consider it any further! The sum of the parts is generally what counts for me.

I think what he's trying to say is: If you don't like a band, fine, it's a subjective thing, but if you say a band are shit, you have to back it up because that's an objective opinion.

Unfortunately a lot of people get the two confused, saying a band is shit when what they really mean is they just don't like the songs.

Yeah, but i'm not saying you can't dislike a particular band. It was more initially a push on Ben saying a band was 'rubbish' implying that they aren't good at what they do, now he could've just said they weren't to his tastes or whatever (one of the bands in question are a very influential band in terms of some of the music he listens to). I was just saying i, as in me, view things differently as i'm not narrowminded musically, you don't very often find me saying a band is shite as i can generally find something good about bands even if i don't particularly like them.

Anyway, music's a very personal thing and folks like/dislike things for their own reasons. So that's it i guess.

I think what he's trying to say is: If you don't like a band, fine, it's a subjective thing, but if you say a band are shit, you have to back it up because that's an objective opinion.

Unfortunately a lot of people get the two confused, saying a band is shit when what they really mean is they just don't like the songs.

Thank you Ian :)

If Metallica are really shit they would lose their record deal.

I reckon there are 2 main problems that people have with Metallica

1) They decided to do whatever they wanted to do after the black album i.e. bluesy rock

2) St Anger had a tin for a snare and bad lyrics.

I wonder if Metallica wrote Master of puppets over and over again, they would get the same hassle? Look at Slayer.

If Metallica are really shit they would lose their record deal.

I reckon there are 2 main problems that people have with Metallica

1) They decided to do whatever they wanted to do after the black album i.e. bluesy rock

2) St Anger had a tin for a snare and bad lyrics.

I wonder if Metallica wrote Master of puppets over and over again, they would get the same hassle? Look at Slayer.

I guess you must really like My Chemical Romance as they still have a record deal.

That's going by your logic.