aberdeen-music

Ride the Lightning

imt

I guess you must really like My Chemical Romance as they still have a record deal.

That's going by your logic.

Not quite. I am not a fan of My Chemical Romance, however, I can see their appeal to a large audience. There is more to MCR than "they are shit". Even MCR have some decent chorus' etc and they provide a type of music which is popular.

Im just stating that Metallica will still sell quillions of albums even after St Anger and its not because people are expecting an album like Master of Puppets or the Black Album. Metallica can't be shit to everyone because they be outsold by Saxon.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach come on. How can anyone complain about people labelling a band as rubbish when they're smarmy enough to suggest that they have a God-like insight into what constitutes non-shite music??

Who's claiming that like? If it's directed at me i don't claim to have a 'god-like insight' into what's good and what's bad?

Ok, maybe I was harsh, but I don't like the whole idea of having to believe that people are 'good at what they do'. It's a bit of a redundant statement.

I'm not saying everyone has to, but that's the way i think so i'm never going to understand folks saying things are 'shite' or 'rubbish' without qualifying it with a reason. :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I don't like the whole idea of having to believe that people are 'good at what they do'. It's a bit of a redundant statement.

It certainly is, when what they do isn't very good.

I agree, he is a glory hound, and I do not like him as a person, especialy over the Napster thing, but he is a good drummer.

i dont think so, he never does anything that stands out. name one drumming bit that you were like holy fuck thats mental............

not to keen on them now but i use to love them but even then never thought the drumming was that great.

regardless of Lars' ability on drums, lets not forget he has co-written EVERY metallica song from Kill Em All Through to the black album (i.e. their glory period) except for Motorbreath, which is possibly a better accolade than ANY metal drummer on the planet.

Sure there are a thousand better technical drummer's out there with various levels of profiles, but at the end of the day, it's the SONGS that make a band worth listening to.

And '...Justice For All' and the black album were also fucking brilliant records, and they were a better live band in that era than they ever had been before. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that, but I think anyone who reckons they got "shit" after Puppets is suffering from a little bit of trying-hard-to-be-cool.

...And Justice is my favourite Metallica album, purely for the sheer scale of the songs. Despite the lack of bass in the production, every song is just fast (ok, not To Live Is To Die), complex and massive. As a beginning guitarist 11 years ago it was something to aspire to. But as a technical piece of work Puppets is their most complete album and the best produced. Black was awesome as well and was the album that got me into them, but it has paled with age as far as I'm concerned. Probably more to do with my age than the album's.

Load has some decent songs (King Nothing, Hero Of The Day) and some utter shite (Mama Said) and was the last Metallica album I bought.

regardless of Lars' ability on drums, lets not forget he has co-written EVERY metallica song from Kill Em All Through to the black album (i.e. their glory period) except for Motorbreath, which is possibly a better accolade than ANY metal drummer on the planet.

Sure there are a thousand better technical drummer's out there with various levels of profiles, but at the end of the day, it's the SONGS that make a band worth listening to.

And '...Justice For All' and the black album were also fucking brilliant records, and they were a better live band in that era than they ever had been before. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that, but I think anyone who reckons they got "shit" after Puppets is suffering from a little bit of trying-hard-to-be-cool.

That is a great post.

The thing is I love Lars' drumming. He is a great drummer and you only need to listen to AJFA to hear how good he can be. I think the Black album his drumming is so so tasteful and solid as he set out to do. I get something from his drumming anyway and to me, that's all that matters.

...And Justice is my favourite Metallica album, purely for the sheer scale of the songs. Despite the lack of bass in the production, every song is just fast (ok, not To Live Is To Die), complex and massive. As a beginning guitarist 11 years ago it was something to aspire to. But as a technical piece of work Puppets is their most complete album and the best produced. Black was awesome as well and was the album that got me into them, but it has paled with age as far as I'm concerned. Probably more to do with my age than the album's.

Load has some decent songs (King Nothing, Hero Of The Day) and some utter shite (Mama Said) and was the last Metallica album I bought.

I agree with every part of that... other than that I wouldn't say Puppets is batter produced than the black album, even by todays super-polished standards the black album has an INCREDIBLE sound. The guitar tone, the layering, best snare sound (ever?) all within the most accessible and catchy yet heavy songs. I'm not saying it's a better album than puppets, but on production stakes I'd say it definitely is.

Justice is my favourite album too... who needs bass with that guitar tone?!